PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to cook fresh mackerel?????

Comments

• wendy52
    wendy52 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I adapted a trout recipe and it works really well with mackerel.

Place a sprig of rosemary and a couple of lemon slices in the cavity and fold the fish back together.
    Place in an oven proof dish.

Squeeze some lemon juice over the top and cover with foil/lid.
    Place in oven at 180 deg for about 30 mins.....

Enjoy.
  • Gunna
    Gunna Posts: 212 Forumite
    Hiya

I love mackerel whether it be fresh or tinned or smoked i cannot get enough of this fish and i have noticed how cheap it is fresh from Tesco!!!

When in the mood i usually get Tesco's fresh mackerel fillet with a lime,ginger and chilli marinade for 59p each they are gorgeous and we have them grilled with french stick a lovely light lunch that is dirt cheap too.

But.......normal mackerel is only 35p per 100g i want to get it asi know how tasty and good a fish it is but what can i do with it apart from grill or coat in a marinade and grill lol:confused::confused:

OH isn't too keen on fish in general but he will tolerate the chilli and lime mackerel fillet(which astonished me as it smells strong) so if i make fish pie or anthing he will refuse point blank to eat it hmmm

Does anyone have any ideas or tasty recipes to utilize this fish as it is so cheap and good for you i just want to get some lol:beer: make me feel frugal and healthy lol.

Sorry if it has been posted before i did a search and only one topic came up about Lidls best buys.:A
  • liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    If you buy the smoked stuff (probably dearer..) then you can mix it with sour cream/creme fraiche/yogurt/similar & a good squeeze of lemon juice to make a gorgeous pate type thing for sandwiches/salads.
    When hubby has caught it in the past we have simply fried it with some toast & beans for breakfast (it was all we had with us).
    Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lime & chilli marinade
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Gunna,

I love it barbequed, it gives it a lovely smokey taste. There's an earlier thread with some ideas that might help:

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Gunna
    Gunna Posts: 212 Forumite
    Hiya

Thanks for your ideas they sound nice(well to me they do lol).

How did that thread not come up in my search earlier?....just wondering as i thought there would have been a thread about it when it is so cheap lol.

Thanks for adding it i will have a look as i would love to eat more of this fish other than the odd occasion :)
  • I've tried a couple of gratin recipes before but they've never really worked

However, you can make kedgeree with smoked mackerel which is lovely!
  • I have 2 lovely fresh mackerel, bought for a quid at the farmers market. They are whole so might have roe, I don't know yet.

How can I get the best out of them, I think I read somewhere that the bones are no good for stock as it is an oily fish.

Lisa
    Tumptyteapot

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would clean them, slash flesh on both sides of fish, rub in some mustard and grill or barbecue for about 3/4 minutes each side....serve with salad, baked potato and either rhubarb or gooseberry sauce ( just stewed either).

Don't know about bones, sorry

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi tumptyteapot,

This thread may help:

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hmm, lots of lovely ideas there thank you, it seems like there is nothing you can do with the carcass though, what a shame, at least I can compost it though!
    Tumptyteapot

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport