Smoker beneath flat making like bad

124»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,727 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 July 2019 at 10:49PM
    Benjamin_N wrote: »
    I'm not moving AGAIN because of drug fiends.

If anyone had an issue when I smoked I would always go outside, which is a more than reasonable thing to request. People need to respect others spaces. It's clear that his fumes rose into my flat, they must know that

Why must they know it? If they've got no smells from elsewhere they'll have little idea of where or how the smoke travels.
    And it appears you've made no effort to tell them - yelling at them through the floor, window, or whatever, doesn't count. And if you behaved like that to me instead of having a polite word, I'd ignore you as well.

You can insist on here "it will stop" all you like, that's not going to make it happen. You can try reporting them but the police will do nothing unless they're dealing or causing trouble. Their landlord (if they aren't home owners) has no responsibility for monitoring their tenants behaviour.
    Realistically, your options are to move or to develop coping mechanisms. You cannot force them to smoke outside. But asking nicely is likely to get you further than shouting at them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I knew living above the office for the Bob Marley fanclub wasn't going to end well.......
  • Benjamin_N wrote: »
    This is from a different person below my flat, this comes in the Window next to my bed.

Out of curiosity, if it's coming through your window, how would them smoking out their door help you?
    This person most certainly knows that it's causing me harm because I've told them out the Windows that I can't get air in my flat and its making me miserable in the mornings. Everyone had a right to clean air, EVERYONE.

They are still doing it regardless, when they know it causes harm, so they aren't decent people.

yelling at someone out a window, as opposed to politely knocking on their door and talking calmly, is not an appropriate way to have this kind of discussion. That sort of behaviour comes across as rude and aggressive, and I'm hardly surprised that the person is taking no notice of you.

You're saying they're not decent people, but try to see it from others' perspectives: you used to use an illegal drug too, and you've been yelling out a window at someone, kicking off, rather than having an adult discussion. By your own criteria, you're not 'decent people' either. Try to be less judgemental about others behaviour, you don't know what they're thinking or what their intentions are after all, it will help you approach the situation with a cooler head.

The way you've talked about this issue, and the actions you've described taking, make it obvious to us here that while your neighbour is in the wrong and causing you problems, you are also exacerbating the situation.

Regardless of the outcome with the filter for your window, please seek advice on how you conduct yourself from a counsellor or therapist if you see one, because it's almost guaranteed at some point in the future you will be upset by somebody else's behaviour. Approaching it as you have done previously is very counterproductive, and it's clearly in the interests of your health that you can get others to work with you to resolve issues.
  • We are in a top floor flat and the couple opposite us in the hall smoke a lottttt of weed. They're quiet through,so it doesn't really bother me although it is quite unpleasant as it comes under their door, fills the hall and comes under our door.

We have a draught excluder which helps. If it's physically 'seeping' in what might help is identifying WHERE.

You can buy draught tape at b&q for about £7 which might help when the window is closed. Check in cupboards etc as well because there might be something you could do in there to block rising smells which don't have a barrier.

I sympathise because I'm really sound sensitive, and it sounds like you're very small sensitive.

The best thing to do would likely be to go and speak to them and explain the situation calmly and ask they reduce it or find a solution if possible.

However although it's annoying, air filters, scented candles and blocking methods might make things a lot better for you. Yes, there is the aspects of 'why should I be the one to do anything??' but in the real world unfortunately sometimes that's the way it is until you can move
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Benjamin, I have some sympathy for you as my neighbours chain smoke directly the other side of the fence from where my patio area is and although it's not clouds of smoke, it's enough to cause annoyance through smell.

We have asked the wife if they would consider smoking away from the fence to which she answered "I should be able to enjoy my garden" which was countered by "so should we". In the end she agreed to move away from the fence (but would not tell her husband because he would be annoyed). We can still smell it though and what's more worrying is the amount of petrol sitting in open containers from the motorbike maintenance that goes on so I've got 2 plans...

1. replace the rickety fence with a wall and growing fragrant plants up it which MAY help with the smell

2. have a chat with the landlord who I'm sure wouldn't be happy with smoking/petrol going on right outside the back door.

I know it's not the same situation as yours but my point is, there may be more than one way of dealing with the situation.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've got 2 plans...

1. replace the rickety fence with a wall and growing fragrant plants up it which MAY help with the smell

2. have a chat with the landlord who I'm sure wouldn't be happy with smoking/petrol going on right outside the back door.
    I think its a case of in your dreams regarding the plants v cigarette smoke, but at least a wall (not over 2m without planning) is impermeable to air.

As for the landlord, he/she's not able to enforce no smoking in the garden, not being these tenants' parent and bound not to interfere with their 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

It's even possible the landlord would be delighted if the property burned down, because their insurance would pay for a refurb and temporary accommodation for the tenants; a win-win all round.

Sometimes, our own perception clouds judgement.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 18 July 2019 at 12:03PM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I think its a case of in your dreams regarding the plants v cigarette smoke, but at least a wall (not over 2m without planning) is impermeable to air.
    Which is why I put "MAY" in capital letters
    Davesnave wrote: »
    As for the landlord, he/she's not able to enforce no smoking in the garden, not being these tenants' parent and bound not to interfere with their 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

There are also other environmental issues which the landlord should know about - I only mentioned the smoke/smell because it was relevant to the OP. I thought a landlord could choose not to extend the rental period for any reason eg. - he just doesn't want to rent it anymore?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Which is why I put "MAY" in capital letters
    You can put it in fluorescent paint but that doesn't mean that others can't offer an informed opinion.

There are also other environmental issues which the landlord should know about - I only mentioned the smoke/smell because it was relevant to the OP. I thought a landlord could choose not to extend the rental period for any reason eg. - he just doesn't want to rent it anymore?
    Yes, a landlord can evict tenants on a rolling contract if they follow the correct procedures and apply to a court for possession, which may take many months. The hassle, possibility of a void and other factors would be taken into account and balanced against regularity of rent payments etc. Most professional landlords would, quite understandably, avoid becoming embroiled in arguments between their tenants and others.
  • akira181
    akira181 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July 2019 at 2:54PM
    No, I absolutely can tell people what they should be doing if they are causing harm to other people or being rude in a thread I created. Good people need to stick up for the good or the bad run amok, just like this rude individual downstairs who knows I'm being hurt because of a their disregard for others clean air.

I was looking for other people's experienced, which I didn't get. Rather I received a very helpful PM from someone not on this forum regarding a DIY filter for a Window.

Yes, you absolutely can tell people what they should be doing, and they can absolutely tell you to ram it where the sun don't shine. What people are trying to tell you if you would listen is that making demands is not a way to negotiate or reach a compromise.

Like it or not, what someone does in their own flat is not up to you. Just because you say you have have mental health issues, it doesn't make you more important or give you the right to dictate what people should be doing to appease your own delicate complexion. Maybe your neighbour has chronic pain or anxiety or seizures that weed has been known to help with. Maybe your selfish shouting out the window is bad for the mental health of your neighbours.

Everyone's situation is different and making demands because you feel your needs are more important is just going to receive a hostile response. If my neighbour just started shouting out the window like an antisocial yob before trying to have a conversation like a civilised adult, I'd have zero respect for them or their situation. You yourself said you enjoyed a puff in the past, so you know fine well the issues involved smoking it outside in public vs the privacy of your own home. I'll bet you didn't smoke it on your own doorstep when you used to partake.

You can only change what you have control of and not other peoples actions. If you cannot have a calm and civilised discussion to reach a compromise (bridges are probably burned by now), you can either move or close the windows and get some sort of portable AC system to cool your flat down.

The portable AC's work surprisingly well as I found out in summer when my neighbours would use the garden and play music while I was working nightshift. Instead of shouting out the window and demanding they take the party inside, I spoke to them and explained that I work nightshift so if they could turn the music down a little, it would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure