Buyer claimed item not received then ......

I sold a small board game on Ebay on Saturday, buyer paid quickly I posted 2nd class on Monday am.

1 week later buyer says parcel has not arrived and wants a refund, I asked had he received a card from Royal Mail - No he hasn't
Has he checked to see if a neighbour has it, he checked and they haven't.
He then asked for a refund as he need the money (£5) to buy another game. I advised him to open a case which he did.
I refunded him and it was not until I was claiming the money from Royal Mail that I realised he had collected the item from the sorting office a couple of days later.
I requested payment or return and got a few abusive messages back saying he had had to pay £3 as I had not put enough postage on. (I had, £3 small parcel) He sent me a photo showing the correct postage. Ebay initially said they would refund me but are now saying no.:mad:

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Did you not enter the tracking into eBay?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • lesleyb
    lesleyb Posts: 157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not at the time no, after all my years of ebaying I didn't realise I had a tracking code using 2nd class postage :rotfl:

I think everyone is as honest as me :(
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I would phone eBay and ask them to get the buyer to pay as the tracking shows delivered.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I would phone eBay and ask them to get the buyer to pay as the tracking shows delivered.

eBay have no facility to make the buyer pay. If delivery confirmation had been added to the sale then buyer couldn't have pulled this stunt, but OP says they were not aware of the new facility to show delivery on standard parcels, and I suspect a lot of people aren't. Also of course the new rules say that even to win an INR the number needs to be uploaded before the estimated delivery date, so technically this sale did not fulfil the requirement for seller protection, although it looks like eBay are currently still allowing late upload of numbers (if seller is persistent on the phone) as long as they are used to defend an open INR claim.

If this is valuable enough to spend time on then OP needs to concentrate on the buyer, start off politely requesting either the money or the item back, and perhaps then going to a letter before action.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,117
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I know it's the principle of it, but for £5 I would just leave it and block.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • I had a sort of similar case. Buyer point blank refused to go and collect an item from the depot (It was a courier) as they were holding it there for him. Courier wouldn't send it back to me either and buyer won the INR case even though I repeatedly asked him to at least speak with the depot and gave him a name and reference number there as well as there having been the relevant tracking information uploaded on eBay.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lesleyb wrote: »
    I sold a small board game on Ebay on Saturday, buyer paid quickly I posted 2nd class on Monday am.

1 week later buyer says parcel has not arrived and wants a refund, I asked had he received a card from Royal Mail - No he hasn't
    Has he checked to see if a neighbour has it, he checked and they haven't.
    He then asked for a refund as he need the money (£5) to buy another game. I advised him to open a case which he did.
    I refunded him and it was not until I was claiming the money from Royal Mail that I realised he had collected the item from the sorting office a couple of days later.
    I requested payment or return and got a few abusive messages back saying he had had to pay £3 as I had not put enough postage on. (I had, £3 small parcel) He sent me a photo showing the correct postage. Ebay initially said they would refund me but are now saying no.:mad:

£3 is the base fee for a small parcel.
    So if you paid,likely your label/stamps have come off.
    How were you tracking it?
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've had a couple of occasions over the past few months where buyers have told me they had to pay a £3 excess on items I'd sent them as Royal Mail claimed I'd underpaid post. I knew I'd put the correct amount on as I always double check & asked buyers to send me pics of the front of the parcel showing stamps & refunded them the £3 straight away.

On each of these occasions the pics sent to me clearly show I had paid the correct postage, but a couple of the stamps had somehow become damaged whilst in the system, hence the fee. As I always get proof of posting, the staff at the post office can clearly see the correct amount with no damaged stamps on the parcel when I handed it over. Both times I contacted Royal Mail to complain & they refunded me the excess charge with an apology.

What I do now is take a photo of the address & stamps on parcels just in case it happens again.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949
    Forumite
    Am I being thick here? I thought £3 was the charge for sending something second class. For it to be signed for (or tracked or whatever they call it), isn't it about £4?

How did the OP know the item was in the depot unless they sent it signed for and forgot to put that in the initial post.

Completely agree though, if they picked it up and you can see that on the tracking, they should pay up.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Forumite
    Perhaps they rang the depot.items that won’t fit through the letterbox would be taken back there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure