Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,915Posts
    • 39,758Thanks
    jwil
    New plan...time to see some movement!
    • 23rd Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    New plan...time to see some movement! 23rd Aug 18 at 3:29 PM
    Hello!

I've decided it's time for a new diary. I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and have come up with a new plan.

My debt is all at 0% on my DMP and is just clearing, albeit very slowly at 1 a month. This will increase when little miss gets her free hours at nursery next year.

Our mortgage is 118,511 and the only interest bearing debt, on a tracker rate so vulnerable to interest rate rises. I'm very happy with the rate though, and we can make unlimited overpayments, so for the time being, not looking to fix.

I still need to pay back 2400 for my car.

We need to start doing some of the work to the house that we've been putting off for years. So we need to get saving for that before it gets to a stage where we have no choice but to do the work as an emergency.

My new plan therefore is that I am going to let the DMP run itself, focus on paying back the car, the mortgage and saving for the house work. I will be trying to build the emergency fund/F&F fund, so that if my creditors offer a settlement I will hopefully be able to take advantage.

I hope that by changing my focus I will keep my motivation rather than getting fed up about not seeing any progress towards my debts. The mortgage will go down regardless of whether I manage to make overpayments, and hopefully the savings will increase!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Page 62
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Jul 19, 3:41 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Declutter update:

Decluttering 2019:

641-695. Kids books
    696. Dog toy
    697. 3 x dog bone parts
    698. Mini vacuum
    699. Trousers
    700. Wrapping paper
    701. Boots
    702-706. Shoes
    707-710. Socks
    711-714. Gloves
    715-746. Clothing
    747-753. Cot sheets
    754-760. School uniform
    761-762. Hats
    763. Bike horn
    764. Plastic bin
    765. Cash box
    766-767. Canvases
    768. Cushion
    769. Card case
    770-809. Garden items
    810-816. Dummies
    817. Toothbrush mug
    818. Dummy case
    819-820. Garden seats
    821. Bag garden canes
    822. Rotten wood
    823. Bubble gun
    824-825. CDs
    826. Tyre repair

Decluttering 2019 totals:
    Books: 68
    Magazines/papers: 102
    Ebay parcels: 480
    Other: 826

Total: 1227

Ebay listings: 563

Survey/other earnings:
    Amazon: 45
    Paypal/cash: 98.84
    Other vouchers:42
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Jul 19, 8:51 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Maintained last night at SW, that was a relief. Got my Bronze award for exercise, so will try and step it up a bit to get silver.

Busy weekend planned here, there is a fete with car boot sale on, so we are going to go to that. We've sold quite well there before as it's a different audience. Fingers crossed!

Then on Sunday there's a free event on which we've never been to before, so we thought we'd take the kids up and have a look at that.

Hope everyone is well
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Jul 19, 5:21 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Car boot sale and fete went well today It was quite cloudy and cooler compared to the last few days so it was comfortable out.

We managed to sell a fair amount of the stuff we cleared from the shed last week, and also took a lot of stuff that DH had put back We also sold a lot of stuff that's been hanging around for a while, so really pleased about that. It's always good to go somewhere different.

We made a start on the Toad trail as well as there was one near the venue
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jul 19, 7:04 PM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 81,438 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Well done on your shed de-clutter and the stuff you sold today . It's great to see progress.

I went through two cardboard boxes in the void today and most of it went into the charity pile or the bin. The voids are emptier and more organised but I still feel like we've got far too much stuff that we never use .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005/5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 2,005/5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = 129.37/500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = 200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = 100
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jul 19, 7:57 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 28,299 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Decluttering and earning money from it. Win, win. Well done you
    Glad it was cool for you. I've done boot sales in the heat and they are better when it is cooler
    Car costs savings: 443
    Xmas savings 210
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN? 19/31 AFDs forAugust
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jul 19, 7:53 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on your shed de-clutter and the stuff you sold today . It's great to see progress.

I went through two cardboard boxes in the void today and most of it went into the charity pile or the bin. The voids are emptier and more organised but I still feel like we've got far too much stuff that we never use .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you I feel the same - even about my own stuff which is pretty much done. I'll need to go back through it.

Decluttering and earning money from it. Win, win. Well done you
    Glad it was cool for you. I've done boot sales in the heat and they are better when it is cooler
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you Yes, most of the boot sales around here have zero cover, so when it's really hot, you just melt and burn.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Jul 19, 7:55 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Just finishing some listing for DH. Will pop to the supermarket and then when DH comes back from the boot sale we are off out to the free event to see what it's like.

Then later on I want to do a bit of meal prepping for this week and chill out! I've been off plan again a lot this weekend, so need to get back on track. I'd like to lose at least another 1/2 stone before Orkney and preferably more!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 19th Jul 19, 5:18 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    I lost 2lb last night That was a surprise. I've got 4lb to go to get to 2st and 8lb to get my club 10. Would be nice to get those before I go away!

Work has been crazy busy. The new boss is making waves, not all positive. I've been pretty much handed back to the MD which suits me really. There's loads to do though. They didn't manage to hire anyone for the job they wanted me to go for, so I'm going to be helping out with that as well as trying to do my other stuff.

Not much planned this weekend. It's miserable here today. I've pulled out a load of bags to sort through. We are off to the library and will probably try and tick off some more toads on the toad trail as well.

Little jwil finishes school on Tues so then I've got a week off, and will essentially be part time for the holidays. I'm looking forward to the time off, but it does add pressure when it's all busy!
    • AdventureWanted
    • By AdventureWanted 19th Jul 19, 7:06 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 4,341 Thanks
    AdventureWanted
    Well done on the weight loss. That's an amazing amount to lose .

Hope you have a great weekend.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 20th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the weight loss. That's an amazing amount to lose .

Hope you have a great weekend.
    Originally posted by AdventureWanted
    Thank you You have a good weekend too
    • jwil
    • By jwil 20th Jul 19, 4:53 PM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Been to the library today. I've taken out a load of diet books Whilst I am following SW, I do find it helps my motivation to keep reading about people losing weight, so grabbed a few.

We did a bit of toad spotting, and have had a quiet afternoon at home. DH has been prepping listings.
    • BalanceBy50
    • By BalanceBy50 22nd Jul 19, 10:01 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    BalanceBy50
    Hi jwil you are doing so well with your weight loss so don't get too disheartened. Which books did you borrow? We need a trip to the library to sign up for the reading challenge and like you I get inspiration by reAding about other people's journeys!

Enjoy your time off xx
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 23rd Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 5,475 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope you have a lovely week off and try not think about work too much,

And well done on the weight loss. Fab progress

Lots of love

Brizzle x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 301/750 August Goals: AFDs 3/25 Decluttering 60/60 LSDs 02/10 NSDs xx/05 Exercise in August RT xk 3/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jul 19, 7:30 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 28,299 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Jealous of your weight loss and motivation
    Car costs savings: 443
    Xmas savings 210
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN? 19/31 AFDs forAugust
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 23rd Jul 19, 9:06 PM
    • 9,508 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    savingholmes
    just popping in to say hello - came back mid July after being awol about a year!
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 38840 @ 13/7/19 29,366 @0%
    Target MFD July 2031 April 28 owe 145551 @13/7/19 145,362 @1.7%
    • jwil
    • By jwil 24th Jul 19, 9:38 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    Hi jwil you are doing so well with your weight loss so don't get too disheartened. Which books did you borrow? We need a trip to the library to sign up for the reading challenge and like you I get inspiration by reAding about other people's journeys!

Enjoy your time off xx
    Originally posted by BalanceBy50
    Thank you

I'm reading a book called 'constant craving' at the moment, not far into it, but they classify cravings into different categories. The description for mood eating was me down to a tee! There's a whole section in the library, so I just get whichever ones tickle my fancy. Most of them are diet plans, so whilst I won't follow the plan, I pick up on the enthusiasm!

Hope you have a lovely week off and try not think about work too much,

And well done on the weight loss. Fab progress

Lots of love

Brizzle x
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    Thank you Brizzle

Jealous of your weight loss and motivation
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thank you If my motivation was higher, I think my weightloss would be much better
    • jwil
    • By jwil 24th Jul 19, 9:39 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    just popping in to say hello - came back mid July after being awol about a year!
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    Lovely to 'see' you again! Have you resurrected your diary? Must have a hunt
    • jwil
    • By jwil 24th Jul 19, 9:49 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    I'm off now for a week Really looking forward to the break.

I've decided I'm not doing a to do list, just going to chill out, spend some time with the kids, and do whatever takes my fancy.

Little miss is in nursery today, so we walked over this morning (the kids scooted) and little jwil wants to chill out with Netflix today. He's been tired out so happy with that as it means I can chill out too!

Little miss will be home tomorrow and they've asked to go to the beach. It's due to be really hot tomorrow, so i think we'll go early and then try and get in the shade somewhere before it gets to the hottest part of the day.

I'm so glad I'm out of the office, the aircon isn't working and being stuck in a stuffy meeting room for 4 hours yesterday was painful! Everyone was drenched.

I sorted out 4 bags of stuff that has been hanging around for months the other day. Got a few bits to ebay and lots more to car boot/bin.

I need to sort through the kids clothes and get rid of some. Why does this seem to be a constant job! I need to figure out what I need to replace for little jwil's school uniform and what will do for a bit longer.

He got an amazing report, I was so proud He's above his expectations for reading and maths . He's got the same teacher next year and I'm really pleased about that as she's done wonders with him this year. He's also got my first year primary school teacher as his TA She is lovely too, and it's a small world!
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 24th Jul 19, 8:04 PM
    • 9,508 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    savingholmes
    It's lovely when the kids are doing well. They and we always produce too much stuff - decluttering is constant!! Enjoy some of the sun while it's here. Thanks for popping over to my diary too.
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 38840 @ 13/7/19 29,366 @0%
    Target MFD July 2031 April 28 owe 145551 @13/7/19 145,362 @1.7%
    • jwil
    • By jwil 26th Jul 19, 9:36 AM
    • 10,915 Posts
    • 39,758 Thanks
    jwil
    It's lovely when the kids are doing well. They and we always produce too much stuff - decluttering is constant!! Enjoy some of the sun while it's here. Thanks for popping over to my diary too.
    Originally posted by savingholmes
    I know, it's crazy. I think I've done their clothes and then all of a sudden they need doing again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

2,110Users online

Martin's Twitter