PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

left over pasta??

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Parmigiano Reggiano is a DOC name brand (eg. like Champagne) that can be only produced in a specific region and according to stringent standards. Real parmigiano needs to be matured for a number of years and treated in a certain way (I'm not sure how, though).

Grana Padano is a cheese similar to parmesan but not quite the 100% real McCoy. It is usually lighter and not matured as long as real Parmesan and not as rich. It is still ok to use it grated on pasta, though, IMO!

If you have an Italian delicatessen shop nearby you could go and ask for a try of each to taste the difference, I am sure any Italian worth his/her salt would oblige (especially hoping that they will get your business).

Hope this helps.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Thanks Caterina for the great info. Am a great cheese lover, but had never heard of Grana Padano, so now I am all clear on what's what. Actually that might be just the thing for hubby and daughter, as it is lighter in taste to proper parmesan - or more probably, the pecorino, which I normally buy. They find it too strong for their liking, so go for cheddar grated over pasta/risotto. Feel I should buy plastic cheese slices for them! ::)
    But then, they don't like my truffle oil either, for which I am truly grateful. It is all mine! ;)
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    probably a daft question butas usual i have cooked too much spaghetti, does anyone know if it can be heated up the next day or even frozen as i'm fed up with alway throwing it out! Its just plain spaghetti no sauce or anything. thanks!
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Heat it by plunging it into boiling water. Take the pan off the heat and leave the pasta to warm through. It will - of course - be "softer" and floppier.

Or chop it up and make a pasta salad? :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • DenBo_4
    DenBo_4 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, reheated next 2 days (make sure its covered up properly in the fridge or it will go dry. Can also be frozen too. (I reheat in the microwave)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually add a tablespoon of water and reheat covered, it sort of steams then.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • doorstep
    doorstep Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    dobs wrote: »
    probably a daft question butas usual i have cooked too much spaghetti, does anyone know if it can be heated up the next day or even frozen as i'm fed up with alway throwing it out! Its just plain spaghetti no sauce or anything. thanks!

There's no such thing as a daft question :D

I regularly use leftover pasta the next day, either chopped in a pasta salad (like Debt_Free_Chick) or just the same meal again for lunch!

Oops - forgot to add that I splash a touch of olive oil over the pasta before putting it in the fridge (to stop it sticking)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi dobs,

I reheat leftover pasta quite a lot for lunch the next day. I do it the same way as DFC by refreshing it in a pan of boiling water.

There are some ideas for using it up on this thread:

left over pasta??

Pink
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I chop leftover spaghetti up and keep it covered in the fridge and then next day mix it with chopped spring onion and chicken bovril and boiling water to make chicken noodle soup. (I put bits of chicken in if I have any but its just as nice without - just add plenty of seasoning)
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wowbrilliant thanks i usually chuck out mountains of the stuff!Thanks for your replies!Off to put it in the fridge.
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport