PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    OH just brought home 6 large oranges from work, he always gets them every year as a good luck present from people he works with in Israel. So I am going to make marmalade at the weekend with them. :j

Do you have a recipe? I've been up to get my mincer from the top of my kitchen cupboards and brought down the jelly pan. Never done it before, would love to have a bash, if anyone has any tips I'd love to have a go.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    Great stuff! Thank you.

I made lemon curd years ago, I think you use only the yolks, I hope there's a recipe in the list, could probably make meringues with the whites, I've got some dislocated cocoanut.
    I also found a few tins of condensed milk too, could maybe do cocoanut ice as well.

I usually use this -

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/lemon/lemon-curd.html

Cos it uses whole eggs it means you wouldn't have loads of whites to use up. I have my lemons in the freezer, all juiced and zested in little pots of four ready to use (go loads last year of Asda unwaxed ones at silly prices)
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    will look again into the mincing idea thanx!! i gues its venturing into the scary unknown!

well so far we are 6days in and we have a grocery no spend of 6days - got frozen left overs for lunch today at work, hubby is at home but have been reliably informed tht he has been eating the general christmas leftover snacks!

our cupboards are looking bare - but i can whip many things up with a bit of flour and water

defrosted mince - so tonight i shall be making chilli con carne, spag bol and savoury mince to split up and freeze for our lunches!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you! I had a look at it, I think you may be right, the others look well dodgy, one is cast iron, this one is green enamel and probably isn't as old as the others. What cut do you think would be best minced ? I've never minced meat before, though I can remember my granny doing it.
    I can see me going back to the old ways, I'm halfway there already. This thread has really brought me down to earth, and I just love all the posters they all have such lovely manners, and are so keen to help each other.

I don't believe i actually wrote dislocated, I've always called it that LOL, but usually manage to spot it, its just as well folk here cant hear me I'm Mrs Spoonerism he he, I told my family they were having craple rumble for pudding or scunge and pustard.
    Profato titters, !!!! !!!!!!, (OOPS! pop corn) just some of the foody ones.
    My favourites has to be oudourarm deunderant, and naughtybiantics.
    I once called my best friend a busty nagger, she is too and the other way round LOL.
    Or my friend deals in shocks and stares. I once asked for a ducky lip.
    And I thanked my friends father for floovering all the !!!!!s! (OOPS!AGAIN! hoovering all the floors)
    My family and friends don't bat an eye now.
    I only know if I've said something funny if they burst out laughing.
    Oh aye and I'm married to Mr Malaprop, never a dull moment in this house LOL.

This made me actually laugh out loud :rotfl: Year ago my mum was talking about jamaica ginger cake and called it jaminja cake - this is now how it is always known. Dont bat an eyelid until someone gives me a funny look and I then have to carefully think what it should be called!! Not quite as bad as the time my friends mum went into our hardwear shop and said she was looking for durex...............the poor man didnt know where to look (she meant dulux) :rotfl:
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    I'm looking for something to make to use them up, any suggestions? I've also got nearly a whole jar of cranberry sauce , that one has me stumped LOL.
    I've also got a jar of olives and a quite a lot of rosemary, any suggestions for them, I will use some for rosemary & garlic potatoes.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can freeze rosemary?

These last few days have really taken me back to my childhood, I can remember my granny in the kitchen teaching me how to cook and not waste anything. I'm the granny now LOL my wee darling GD is only 4 months old.
    I'm ashamed of the stuff thats been wasted from my kitchen, I vowed last year I would change my ways, I was waiting to join this years grocery challenge this month, so glad I have , I feel it has grounded me. Thank you so much everyone.

You could use the cranberry sauce up in toasties or pannini's with brie and bacon...my personal favourite filling. Or add it to your gravy to give it a bit more flavour when having poultry???

Well today I need to go and buy milk, an onion and a jar of chilli powder and will try and resist other purchases as my daughter is booked in for a C&B at the hairdressers and I will include this in my budget and I know it will be £20:eek: . Tonights dinner will be chilli con carne and rice and leftovers will be tubbed up for spare lunches for hubby over the next week. Pudding will be using up the rest of the gluten free lemon drizzle cake that was lovingly made for us by MIL. Todays lunches are leftover paella from freezer and cereal bars which were a gift.

Hope everyone has a good day today-will update sig later after shoppping.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 January 2011 at 10:24AM
    Aiming for a NSD today, well I need stamps but these are out of my misc. budget not GC.

We have had some weird dinners the last 2 nights, not what I had planned, but all out of the freezer/cupboards so no extra spends incurred.

We are both tired today after not sleeping too well last night/getting up with DS twice so I will make a nice tea and pud for when DH gets in and have an early night.

Not sure whatI will make for pud as I have no eggs to make a sponge pudding (DH favourite) and fancy something stodgy/comfort food. Have ice cream, chocolate, meringue nests, frozen rasps, flour, sugar, butter, milk, dried fruit. Might have to be a sundae type thing, not what I had in mind though. Any suggestions welcome:D

The baby rice pudding I made for DS yesterday was inedible, followed the recipe but did not seem to have enough liquid in it to make the rice mushy IYKWIM. May have another go as I have half a pint of full fat milk left that we won't drink, we can't stand anything but skimmed.

Can't wait for my veg box to be delivered tomorrow morning with a dozen eggs in it, managed to get 6 of these reduced due to short date. They are starting meat deliveries in my area from next week too but :eek: it's expensive. I am veggie, DH doesn't eat a great deal of meat but is fussy about what he has. Won't eat fish, gone off fresh chicken but will eat carp like PEK pork, bacon and sausages, but only good quality sausages and loves lamb which is soooo expensive for the run of the mill sm stuff. He wants to eat less meat this year so we may be able to afford to change to organic meat for the bit he does have. Eating more organic is one of my goals for 2011.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Great stuff! Thank you.

I made lemon curd years ago, I think you use only the yolks, I hope there's a recipe in the list, could probably make meringues with the whites, I've got some dislocated cocoanut.
    I also found a few tins of condensed milk too, could maybe do cocoanut ice as well.

we don't have a recipe on the GC list but there is a recipe for microwave lemon curd in the Complete Jams, Chutneys and other Preserves thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • kez12
    kez12 Posts: 32 Forumite
    medsdemon wrote: »
    You could use the cranberry sauce up in toasties or pannini's with brie and bacon...my personal favourite filling. Or add it to your gravy to give it a bit more flavour when having poultry???/QUOTE]

yum yum carnberry, brie and bacon my favourite, although post christmas could be having mine in a wrap!

Anyway quickly came on to say already had a spend after following this thread and discovering, 2xnaan breads for 57p at Mr C-O and Curry Sauces for 54p, although OH has made a curry for tonight they can go in the cupboard for next week. Thank you for whomever mentioned that
    Also whilst there they had Yoghurt Covered Fruit Flakes on offer, I was overjoyed 5xpacks for £1.00 :T my DD takes these in her pack lunch but is restricted to one pack a day due to cost.

+ Two loaves of bread one for now and one for freezer means i need to update my total by another £7.91 :D
    Kez12 intends to have a frugal 2012 and bust that debt:j there's certainly plenty of it!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows if you can freeze rosemary? ...

you can freeze most herbs, some useful comments, including this one, on the Freezer Quick Questions thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Mothership wrote: »
    I'm looking for something to make to use them up, any suggestions? I've also got nearly a whole jar of cranberry sauce , that one has me stumped LOL.
    I've also got a jar of olives and a quite a lot of rosemary, any suggestions for them, I will use some for rosemary & garlic potatoes.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can freeze rosemary?

These last few days have really taken me back to my childhood, I can remember my granny in the kitchen teaching me how to cook and not waste anything. I'm the granny now LOL my wee darling GD is only 4 months old.
    I'm ashamed of the stuff thats been wasted from my kitchen, I vowed last year I would change my ways, I was waiting to join this years grocery challenge this month, so glad I have , I feel it has grounded me. Thank you so much everyone.
    I had a jar of olives left over as well, so for our new years eve party I made some pizza dough rolled it out flat, bashed up some garlic with sea salt and olive oil in to a paste, then i spread it over the dough then stuck the olives in the bread on top of the garlic mush i sprinkled it with thyme but Im sure you could use rosemary instead.

I am going to use the Delia marmalade recipe, will let you know how it goes!

in our local garden centre they were selling lemon and ginger curd, I just need to find a recipe as it sounded delish. how about lemon drizzle cake as well.

glad you like the planc, my OH says it looks like a weapon and he will be on best behaviour from now on :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure