PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really struggling with keeping a check on spending but I feel I have got much better. Going to take one week at a time. Hoping for a spend of no more than £70 this week. Spent £47.92 in Aldi on Sunday. I did need more but shopped on the spur of the moment and didn't have many bags with me and didn't want to buy some. So £22.08 left to spend.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 June 2019 at 9:55AM
    Options
    Thanks for the soup maker thoughts!

What is your go to soup? Any veggie recipes would be gratefully received. I’m sick of sarnies for lunch 5 days a week. I fancy some lovely homemade soup.

Pix
    XX

OK - I sort of made this up but it is tasty! Courgettes make it creamy tasting (who knew) and are so cheap at the moment - I substitute Butternut squash in winter and bang it in a roasting dish with oil, salt and pepper first for half an hour on 190c so it is roasted and sweet - but it needs more chilli in the winter (if you are a chilli-head like me). I have probably explained a bit too much as i don't know your cooking experience level so forgive anything that is obvious to you :o.

Ingredients - onions, carrots, celery (if you have it - just leave it out if you don't) - a sweet potato, if they are cheap, peeled and chopped, 2/3 courgettes (medium size), seasoning; salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and a veg stock pot/cube, and water - and my personal failing is I always add chilli flakes or tabasco or sometimes chopped ginger)

I chop the veg first so it just goes in when I am ready for it. Try and chop the veg about the same size so it takes the same amount of time to cook. Mine is a bit smaller than a cm (it will just take a bit longer to cook through if you chop it bigger)

Method
    Chop up two medium onions and a large (or 2 medium) carrots and put them in a large deep saucepan with a glug (probably a couple of tablespoons) of olive oil and fry them until soft but not going brown or catching (also the ginger, if it is fresh and you are using it).

Add the chopped sweet potato and celery if you have these (I use the middle bit when I buy a head - so the leaves and yellow bits, chopped and kept in the freezer as a go-to top up) - the middle of a head or about 2-3 sticks. If I don't have these I sometimes add a couple of frozen spinach balls instead.

At the same time I add a good pinch of salt, three or four twists of black pepper, a large pinch of mixed herbs (my mix is dried oregano, thyme, mint and basil, where I am generous with the oregano and mint). keep stirring it so it doesn't catch. Add the chopped up courgettes and then after a minute or two, add the stock pot/cube and enough water to cover the veg.

Bring it to the boil and stir it occasionally (so nothing catches on the bottom - dig it off with a wooden spoon if it has started to catch - it is likely to be onion or sweet potato and will add a little sweetness as it caramelises) - the consistency of porridge before it thickens will tell you if you have enough water.

Put the lid on, turn the heat down to a bare simmer and time 25 minutes. Turn the heat off after this and after maybe ten minutes to cool a bit (just so I am not spattering me and the kitchen with boiling soup) I use the stick blender on a medium speed. It is likely to be too thick at this point but I slacken it with a bit more water when I reheat it to serve and adjust the seasoning to taste.

This lasts me a week and by not adding the water until I want to cook it, takes up less space in the fridge. I also re-boil all of it every 3-4 days to make sure it does not ferment or go bad - old recipes claim you can keep soup going indefinitely this way. I have never had a problem (after 35 years cooking) - mostly I have 3 spoons or ladles-full for lunch

If you want to add a little variation (posh it up for visitors eg), try adding a little garlic and herb cheese crumbled in when served and even a little cream or milk if you like it extra creamy. I always put a tiny bit of flaked salt on top and another twist of pepper but I like my food quite spicy.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Suffolk Lass that soup sounds amazing.
  • Pixie_Fairydust
    Options
    Thank you Suffolklass

Will give the homemade soup a whirl over the weekend when I have more time!

Pix
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Evening all

Chicken food, bedding, poultry tonic and cat litter bought so another £35.00 spent.

Total spends now £120.67.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all

Chicken food, bedding, poultry tonic and cat litter bought so another £35.00 spent.

Total spends now £120.67.

GMAT

I notice you have UU toiletries in your signature - I got my stash down from two crates of bibs and bobs - things like scrubby sponges for your body that I now use as bathroom cleaning cloths to remove soap-scum from the shower and wash basin. - The "I'm ever going to use that" stuff went to a local charity for young carers - they offer them a night or two respite and apparently clean clothes and toiletries are often missing from their overnight bags so all my hotel freebies and gifted toiletries went there.

And I sent all the spare toothbrushes, trial brands of toothpastes and bars of shampoo to the Food-bank (I had maybe 15 cheap toothbrushes that were there for when my Son's friends stay over - but he has not lived here for nearly 7 years), and my Son took loads of toiletries like different shower gels and shampoos to his house.

Anyway, there used to be a thread on here with everyone's stash listed and accounted for as they were using up - are you on there?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Anyway, there used to be a thread on here with everyone's stash listed and accounted for as they were using up - are you on there?

Thank you Suffolk lass, you have listed some good ideas on there especially for the spare toothbrushes I have as now only use my electric.

I am on the thread and it does help me think sometimes if I really need to buy but sometimes that is not enough. If I was more consistent in my use that would be a big help.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the soup maker thoughts!

What is your go to soup? Any veggie recipes would be gratefully received. I’m sick of sarnies for lunch 5 days a week. I fancy some lovely homemade soup.

Ok. I’ll try the pan method first!

I love Quorn. Mr T has a good veggie range (frozen), I do try to shop in @ldi & Lid! However not a great frozen veggie selection.

Pix
    XX

We love Aldi and Lidl too, although we rarely shop at either of them due to the lack of frozen veggie stuff! I find if we have to go to more than one supermarket then we end up buying more stuff than we need, so we mostly just stick to Tesco now.
  • MadamMim2013
    MadamMim2013 Posts: 887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spends up to £170 so far this month.. Had both DS’s home this evening so made a rather tasty chicken curry with some YS chicken (got today) & a sauce from the cupboard..
    Yum!
    Will be taking stock of my hidey hole upstairs, forgotten exactly what was put in there.. :rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    just catching up!! £58 spent over the last 10 days. mixture of chicken/dog and food for humans!! so £95 spent so far this month!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure