Electric panel heates - replace?

Hi everyone. My first time posting here. Was browsing and it sounded like people here were quite knowledgeable, so thought I'd try :)

I bought a new flat earlier last year and wouldn't you know it, only about half of the heating works. There are 5 electric heaters in the flat (wall mounted panels - brand is Creda). Two don't work at all; one is fully working; one was fully working but the knob controlling the temperature was damaged/fell off so can't do that; and one heats, but the display panel doesn't work.

I didn't end up changing anything last year and the insulation in the house is actually really good, so I went through winter without needing to turn them on. I would however like them to be fully functional, both for piece of mind in case I do feel like I need them, and for eventual re-sale.

It's too costly to repair them (about 100 each + labour), given that it looks like brand new ones could be anywhere from £50 - £200, so was going to replace them. My old flat had gas though so I have no clue what to look at or how much to spend or what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are panel heaters and I recently switched to Bulb, so standard tarriff there. Convenience is important for me.

It's a 1 bed flat in a 10 year old building. I live alone and heating wouldn't be required during the day on weekdays.

Also - they all seem to be going into the wall socket rather than plugged in. Does this mean I need an electrician and not something I can do myself (i'm DIY inept, particularly at this stuff, but willing to learn in case it's a super easy thing to do. If complicated, then will go the electrican route).

Thank you all. Please do let me know if answers to anything else would help! I've browsed a fair bit online, but a bit lost to be honest!

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 May 2018 at 1:17PM
    Have a look at the heaters and find a model number or name, not just the manufacturer to see exactly what sort of heater they are. There's not really all that much to go wrong in a panel or convector heater - either the thermostat or element so it might be worth while getting them fixed although nowadays the spares can sometime cost as much if not more than a new one.

Assuming that you are on a single rate (not e7 tariff) and the heaters just warm up when you switch them on on and get cold when off then probably almost any panel or convector would do the job.

Don't get taken in by Fischer, Rointe or any other heater which contains magic dust, special clay, fairy oil or even golden flakes and promise ultimate efficiency they cost the same to run for the same amount of heat as any heater from Argos or you local store

Changing them will involve some wiring into the spur unit if they aren't plug-in but it's simple enough and shouldn't need an electrician, just someone who knows what they are doing and who makes sure that the mains is off whne they do it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • A brand new [direct replacement] 13a switched fused spur costs about £3-4. Wiring it into the existing ring is here. The usual 'isolation from your consumer unit' applies. As Matelow says make sure you replace [1kW/2kW/3kW] like with like, do not overload the circuit.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Thank you both! Much appreciated!

I'm reasonably certain this is the one I have -Nobo NTE4N. Tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me since i'm a new user. When I had called last year when the problem first arose and explained it to them, for one of the non-working ones, they said it was likely the thermostat and it would be about £105 or something for the part. That's what made me think it made more sense to just replace it. I just have no idea what with.

Any brands I should be looking out for or any models, or any features etc. if the ones above are some I should avoid?
  • These are your specs. Its a variable 5W to 2kW with an optional £50 radio controlled stat.

If yours are all radio controlled you are prolly going to want to stick with that model. For me any stat / time controlled £50 panel will do. A brand new panel is about £150, so changing the digital stat out for £105 would be a nono. If you buy and fit a replacement you should check / test is is the stat 1st and keep the old one as a donor.

NTE4.jpg
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Sudden98 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My first time posting here. Was browsing and it sounded like people here were quite knowledgeable, so thought I'd try :)

I bought a new flat earlier last year and wouldn't you know it, only about half of the heating works. There are 5 electric heaters in the flat (wall mounted panels - brand is Creda). Two don't work at all; one is fully working; one was fully working but the knob controlling the temperature was damaged/fell off so can't do that; and one heats, but the display panel doesn't work.

I didn't end up changing anything last year and the insulation in the house is actually really good, so I went through winter without needing to turn them on. I would however like them to be fully functional, both for piece of mind in case I do feel like I need them, and for eventual re-sale.

It's too costly to repair them (about 100 each + labour), given that it looks like brand new ones could be anywhere from £50 - £200, so was going to replace them. My old flat had gas though so I have no clue what to look at or how much to spend or what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are panel heaters and I recently switched to Bulb, so standard tarriff there. Convenience is important for me.

It's a 1 bed flat in a 10 year old building. I live alone and heating wouldn't be required during the day on weekdays.

Also - they all seem to be going into the wall socket rather than plugged in. Does this mean I need an electrician and not something I can do myself (i'm DIY inept, particularly at this stuff, but willing to learn in case it's a super easy thing to do. If complicated, then will go the electrican route).

Thank you all. Please do let me know if answers to anything else would help! I've browsed a fair bit online, but a bit lost to be honest!

How did you come up with a price of £50 -£200 per heater if you "have no clue what to look at or how much to spend or what to get." ?
  • Thanks very much Richie - helpful! Will take a look there. Current ones are time controlled. Sounds like there isn't that much to choose between them.

@Shavuot - based on random Google searches at how much things like this seem to be going for. However, what I don't know is what is good, what isn't, what features I should watch out for, if it's worth spending for the ones that are £200+ or if a £50 or £100 will do it just as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer doing thorough research before buying something.
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Sudden98 wrote: »
    Thanks very much Richie - helpful! Will take a look there. Current ones are time controlled. Sounds like there isn't that much to choose between them.

@Shavuot - based on random Google searches at how much things like this seem to be going for. However, what I don't know is what is good, what isn't, what features I should watch out for, if it's worth spending for the ones that are £200+ or if a £50 or £100 will do it just as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer doing thorough research before buying something.

Why spend £100, let alone £200 when you can get one for £50?

Do some more research via google :)
  • Sudden98 wrote: »
    Thanks very much Richie - helpful! Will take a look there. Current ones are time controlled. Sounds like there isn't that much to choose between them.

Radiative=good. Convective=good for seagulls and ceilings only

Even that can be confusing these panel heaters are not .... er .... panel heaters. The Dimplex EPX panels are convection whereas the Dimplex Monterey panels are radiative.

A good quality [more expensive] digital stat does moderate temperature drift but its not worth four times the price of a cheepo. Ditto a digital timer, but if you think both are desirable to you go for it.

I would always overshoot so for a self install a 3kW will pull 12.5v so same for your 13a ring. You can always set it to pull only 4a from your 13a available and get a 1kW but what's the point of having an underpowered heating system.

Things in 2020 are quite different from the centrally heated 2000's, keep your living area warm and comfortable, your bathroom / kitchen / bedroom can also be panel heated .. .. but on demand only. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure