Optima Legal

Optima legal are the ‘free’ solicitor appointed by my (hopefully) new mortgage lender. They are dreadful. Don’t reply to any emails. Can’t talk to anyone who knows anything when I call.

Finally found out today that they believe we need indemnity insurance for rooms over a shared passageway....we don’t have rooms above the passage. This has never been an issue with previous mortgage lenders.

I believe optima have misinterpreted the deed, which states ‘ONLY the rooms over the passageway occupied by (address) are included in the title’

To me this reads as ANY rooms over the passageway not ALL rooms. Am I correct in thinking this? It’s isnt exactly worded very well.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you don't have rooms above the passageway what do you have ?

It seems strangely phrased, as I read it if the house consisted of ten rooms , and two were over the passageway, then only those two would be covered by the title. I take it this is a leasehold house or flat ?

I don't know if you can change the title of your post BTW but really it's nothing to do with Optima Legal and all about your lease (or flying freehold?)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bysshe00 wrote: »
    This has never been an issue with previous mortgage lenders.
    Proves nothing. Lenders generally pay for a stripped-down service from their conveyancers so might not be looking at the title in any detail. And in general, solicitors often work on the (hazardous) assumption that previous conveyancers will have picked up any problems already.
    Finally found out today that they believe we need indemnity insurance for rooms over a shared passageway....we don't have rooms above the passage.

I believe optima have misinterpreted the deed, which states "ONLY the rooms over the passageway occupied by (address) are included in the title";

To me this reads as ANY rooms over the passageway not ALL rooms. Am I correct in thinking this?
    Not enough information for us to go on.
    Who owns the freehold under the passageway?
    Who uses the passageway?
    Who occupies the property above the passageway?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure