Minimalist Mandy

Hi all

My first ever thread! Mse has helped me so much in past, and now it's needed again. I think my natural home is debt free diaries as every penny counts, but as my only debt is my mortgage, here I come.
I have £33,529 mortgage with £15000 offset against it. This money is owed out in two years so expecting my interest payments to double.
I have been letting my budget slide badly for a while, from my small income, so it's time to get a grip.
Aims: 1. To stick to a budget
2. To feel confident enough in my budget to have a life.
3. To start knocking the mortgage down so don't need to worry in 2 years.
4. To keep life simple as it makes me feel at peace.

Budget to follow...

Comments

• Bess1234
    Bess1234 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2018 at 7:36PM
    adjusted budget. Getting excited! Budget. 1 adult
    Monthly income 1000
    Average overtime300

Bills
    Mortgage 265
    Mortgage interest 55
    Council tax 85 x10
    Water 25 x10
    Gas/electric 40
    Internet 20
    Tv licence 13
    Netflix 7
    House and car insurance 30
    Total 525

Annual pot
    House fund 40
    Hobby 25
    Car mot repairs tax 41
    Xmas 16
    Birthdays 10
    Holiday/all visits 80
    clothes , going out, hair 50
    coal 25
    Total 275

Mobile 5
    Groceries 135
    Pocket money 90
    Cigarettes 80 100
    Petrol 135[STRIKE][/STRIKE] 100
    spare 145

Total 575

Oomph! All my workings out must be wrong as appear to be over budget. Time to rejig them all. Tie myself in knots with this, I do. Hopefully a diary will make sense eventually .
  • Bess1234
    I refuse to go round in another circle, so budget will stand for a month until I figure out mistake. It's a generous get a life budget, probably won't :rotfl:

First mission. To set up another offset savings account and obtain a stoozing credit card :T
    Second mission : refund request from robbing internet company, and complaint on general lack of internet.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 April 2018 at 1:31PM
    Nice to see you here Bess1234

Just popping in with some observations to get the expenses lower and the budget in line with your income.

Do you have any wiggle room for any of the expenses? - just to be able to save for emergencies etc
    Bess1234 wrote: »
    Groceries 135 - seems a little low for a month
    Pocket money 90 and Going out 85 - can these be lowered
    Cigarettes 80 - can this be lowered as well
    Clothes 35 - can you do without for a few months

I realise you do want to have a life but lowering your mortgage quicker than normal will be your life for the time being :) and the slog is worth it in the end

My mortgage was £42000 in Oct 2015 with 12 years to go and then it dawned on me and DH to overpay as much as we could afford.
    Fast forward 28 months to now with 9 years 9 months left and we owe £3600.

It is hard work but achievable.
    So good luck
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Bess1234
    Wow. That is wonderful what you have achieved. I will think about your ideas. My food is simple but healthy. The going out and clothes budget is probably my wiggle room, but after years of doing without I'm forcing myself to go out, and be less scruff bucket. (Suspect will fail to spend this lol). The smoking needs to stare me in the face till I do something about it. And the pocket money is car parks, forgotten packed lunches , emergency chocolate bar, milk, occasional bottle of wine. All the cash I carry. But your achievements will motivate me to get cracking. It sounds worth it.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary.
    Wishing you well on your journey.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Bess1234 wrote: »

Groceries 135
    Pocket money 90
    Cigarettes 80
    Petrol 135
    Going out 85
    Hair 10
    Clothes 35

Hello and welcome to MFW board! :)

Excluding groceries (reasonable fig) & petrol (assuming a certain amount is needed for getting to/ from work) then the discretionary spending on pocket money, cigarettes, going out, hair & clothes is £300/ month - this is where your 'easiest' wiggle room in your budget is likely to be (assuming all utilities etc are looked at when appropriate) - obviously cigarettes is a biggy (just under 1k per annum) but that's not an overnight decision for most people :) Going out and pocket money sound similar (I know pocket money includes parking, but I'd have that as a separate category if you need to pay for parking)

Unfortunately, you're going to have to trim your budget somewhere in order to OP the mtge - and overtime shouldn't always be taken as read, sadly (ideally your overtime should be the real flexibility in your budget, as it's the non-guaranteed part of income, so is ideal for using for OPs, as your standard income then would (in an ideal world) cover standard outgoings.

We try and make pretty-much every penny count here on MFW boards, too - but perhaps in a slightly different way to DFW (eg: some will be looking at balancing OPs with increased pension payments, making sure any EFs/ savings etc are working hard) We're a very friendly bunch :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Bess1234
    Thank you tboo, beanielou and greent for making me feel welcome. And as youre saying similar things I will listen. Week 3 of my first months budgeting shows some areas accurate , some slightly overspending, some I haven't touched. So at the end of the months recording I will redo the budget. :o

This week's mission to request refund on misold internet item done:T
    Next mission: to start claiming the small work expenses I never have bothered with . Faff. But will be worth it.

Off to read yr threads for inspiration
  • Bess1234
    Very busy week with cash flowing in and out but not spending! One more week to go and I'm hoping to be under budget overall, and ready for my first overpayment. And then sort my budget out

My regular mortgage payments for the rest of the year take the mortgage down to £31144. So my first target is to knock off that £144. Baby steps will get me going.
  • Bess1234
    I couldn't wait to sort my budget out! A couple of days to go but I think I've been realistic . I've taken on board your comments and reduced my discretionary spends, and also moved them to an annual pot, as it's occasional rather than every month thing.

I'm feeling more confident in taking the plunge with stoozing. The credit card is here..... one more week and most of my monthly expenses will go on the card, and I will keep the cash in savings account, offset against my mortgage.

:T:rotfl::T:T:T you are the only people who will understand the excitement!
  • Bess1234
    :T::T:T:T refund agreed. £40 spread over 2 months straight into the overpayment pot. 1st and 2nd challenge complete! :T:T:T:T

And today I sorted my summer capsule wardrobe. Pinterest has hours of obsession over it, but basically, 4 bottoms, six tops, couple of woolies, that all go with each other in a mix and match way, is all you need for a season. But they should all make you feel fab. No decision making in the mornings on what to wear. Serenity. Think I need 1 pair leggings then a couple of nice top to add to what I already have, out of my clothing budget. Equally if I do not find such treasure, I can manage without. I also have a few outfits for home, but largely stuff that has finished it's weekday life. And a couple o frocks.

Simplicity is the key to happiness
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport