Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

Options

Comments

• Jjgv
    Options
    Quick post: Joined and then left for a better deal. They carried on billing me despite them even sending me emails saying the direct debit had been cancelled. FIVE months later, they still haven't done final bill, owe me £150 and every time I ring they say oh yes we'll do something do nothing. Multiple calls, no consistency (no record of previous contact?) and nothing ever followed up. Not sure who they have running it but certainly wouldn't let them anywhere near a drinking event at a brewery!
    Have now got ombudsman involved and they haven't even replied to them!
    TLDR: !!!! poor don't touch!
  • ramblingon
    Options
    Changeover to Tonik went very smoothly. Was aware of first payment up front before I changed. Have contacted customer service twice with questions have received extremely quick and comprehensive responses. Totally happy so far.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @Jjgv they are now covered by the switch guarantee (https://www.energyswitchguarantee.com/about-the-energy-switch-guarantee/) which says balance will be paid by old supplier 14 days after final bill when moving away. Not sure if it was in place when you left.

A lot of the smaller suppliers don't sign up which allows them to wait until the cooling off period is up first.
  • delpetra
    Options
    Does anyone know how/when the £40 duel fuel discount is paid? Intend to switch from Octopus but since the rates are actually higher with Tonik this discount is crucial.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    @Jjgv they are now covered by the switch guarantee (https://www.energyswitchguarantee.com/about-the-energy-switch-guarantee/) which says balance will be paid by old supplier 14 days after final bill when moving away. Not sure if it was in place when you left.

A lot of the smaller suppliers don't sign up which allows them to wait until the cooling off period is up first.

I think you are in danger of conflating 2 different issues here.

Hopefully, all suppliers would repay a cusutomer who has received a final bill and an accrued credit within a very short period (although I've been waiting 7 weeks for my refund from SSE, and that was after having to call them to request it :mad:)

However, suppliers have 6 weeks from switching to produce a final bill.
    This is covered by SLC 27.17 for electricity
    27.17 Where the responsibility for the supply of electricity to a Domestic Customer transfers from the licensee to another Electricity Supplier or otherwise terminates, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to send a final Bill or statement of account of the Domestic Customer’s account within 6 weeks of the supplier transfer or termination of the Domestic Supply Contract."

I believe a similar SLC applies to gas.

The issue for Jjgv appears to be the lack of a final bill, and so Jjgv should follow the suppliers complaint procedure if necessary.
    (Most suppliers will refuse to refund any money until they have produced a final bill for a closed account)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    delpetra wrote: »
    Does anyone know how/when the £40 duel fuel discount is paid? Intend to switch from Octopus but since the rates are actually higher with Tonik this discount is crucial.

I don't know specifically how Tonik handle this, but usually it is applied to each bill produced on a pro-rata basis (sometimes included as a reduction in the daily standing charge applied)

I don't know any supplier that applies this discount as an annual, one off, lump sum discount.
  • nic_c
    Options
    The BGas collective includes a dual fuel discount and its paid pro rata with each bill, so I would expect Tonik to be the same
  • jstallan
    Options
    Moved across to them in the last few days from BG. I had a query about meter readings that was asked via email and answered the same day. Website seems responsive as well.
  • nic_c
    Options
    How much contact did you have before the move date? Not sure if they send any updates or is it simply an initial email confirming your request to join and then another 3 weeks later once switch has been done asking for meter readings.
  • kfdub
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm also considering switching to Tonik. Does anyone currently with them feel like sharing their referral offer (can't post links here, but it's a 20£ Amazon voucher each 30 days after I switched)?
    In this case just send me a PM ;).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure