jsa suspended / effect on housing benefit?

Hi

I have just had jsa suspended for 3 months. Will this affect my housing benefit?

Comments

• teeni
    teeni Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Yes , the dwp will notify the hb department that your benefit has stopped and hb will be suspended.

You need to reapply explaining how you will live, what other income you have, or will family and friends provide food for you.

Dont ignore this go see them now it as hb suspension will be back dated to the date jsa suspended
  • THanks teeni. I had a feeling it would. Oh well best get down and fight my corner.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    gine wrote: »
    Hi

I have just had jsa suspended for 3 months. Will this affect my housing benefit?

I assume you mean that you have been sanctioned for 3 months for possibly not actively seeking work or some other contravention of the rules. If so, then, whilst the LA may stop HB (and CTB) payments, your entitlement would remain but you will have to contact the LA post haste to either make a new claim or do wahtever the LA require to demonstrate your entitlement.
    If the loss of JSA is causing financial hardship you can apply for hardship payments during the period of sanction - you would need to contact the Jobcentre+
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • gine wrote: »
    Hi

Gine

You do not state your circumstances but you may want to consider hardship payment through JCP. Will need to complete JSA10 but depends on personal circumstances. If awarded you receive % of JSA

Again no details of JSA suspension but abit like parking offences it's always worth appealing. DR7 is the form
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    My Daughter has been sanctioned for 3 months by the look of it. She has learning difficulties and is living in caos. She was just sanctioned for a month leaving her nothing to live on, so was unable to get the £7.50 bus to the next meeting etc. They do not think that this is good enough reason not to attend the interviews and stopped her for a further 3 months.
    Until I found her sitting on her own in her house with no food, electric or gas, was anyone helping her.
    I rang the Carers that were due to start, that the support group were not helping her, or the housing etc. The housing are seeking repossesion of her home.

I am in the process of getting them all to fight for her, but the whole system has been a complete mess up from start to finish, and today we have got to the stage that we have had to cancel christmas presents etc and use our money (I am already on ESA myself), to buy gas, electric and food for her.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Mooloo wrote: »
    My Daughter has been sanctioned for 3 months by the look of it. She has learning difficulties and is living in caos. She was just sanctioned for a month leaving her nothing to live on, so was unable to get the £7.50 bus to the next meeting etc. They do not think that this is good enough reason not to attend the interviews and stopped her for a further 3 months.
    Until I found her sitting on her own in her house with no food, electric or gas, was anyone helping her.
    I rang the Carers that were due to start, that the support group were not helping her, or the housing etc. The housing are seeking repossesion of her home.

I am in the process of getting them all to fight for her, but the whole system has been a complete mess up from start to finish, and today we have got to the stage that we have had to cancel christmas presents etc and use our money (I am already on ESA myself), to buy gas, electric and food for her.

If your daughter is facing repossession, then I would advise her to urgently make an appointment to see an expert advisor. If she wants to use CAB which is free, then she can find the details of her local bureau on https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    I am in the process of fighting the decission and had a meeting with the housing association and explained the situation. It will (thank god) take a while for the process to happen, so I am now hoping that we will get the decisions overturned and the benefits re-installed, and back dated!. Thankyou.
    The Carer for her has been in with her to the Jobcentre today to put in an appeal to her latest sanction.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure