Company Mileage?

Not sure if I can post this here but I've been meaning to do something about this for ages and then get put off/don't know how. I keep hearing 'rumours' that I can claim back the excess mileage allowance that my company doesn't pay me ? So the IR limit is say 45p/mile but my company will pay say 15p/mile. Is this right?

Regards...Chris

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2018 at 3:02PM
    If using your own car you can set the extra 30p against tax so will receive 20%/40% of it back depending on your tax situation. https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/vehicles-you-use-for-work
  • No. The only way you can get 45p/mile is for your employer to pay it.

You may be able to claim tax relief on the difference between what your employer pays and the 45p rate however the benefit of making such a claim is down to your individual circumstances.

If for example your net expenses claim was £1,000 this might save you anything between £0 and (in unusual circumstances) £600. For most it will save anything from £200 to £400.

Figures likely to be different if you live in Scotland.

You haven't actually said this but all of the above is assuming you are using your own car for business trips.
  • My "No" was answering this question

I keep hearing 'rumours' that I can claim back the excess mileage allowance that my company doesn't pay me
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HRMC won't pay the difference between the 15p and the 45p, if they did that then employers would never pay fuel expenses as they would know the government would pick up the whole tab!

What HMRC will do is give you tax relief on the difference. So you won't get 30p per mile back.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you need to answer the question asked in reply #2 .... is this your personal car or is it a company car ?

you use the word "say" so I'll assume this is actually a hypothetical position and it is not actually you who are being paid 15p?

If company car, then "15p say" is close enough to the approved mileage rate for a company car that no further relief would be due. If on the other hand the company pay "say" 15p but you use your own car then yes you can claim tax relief.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure