Boxing day pay....

Hi.

Just wondering if you could help.

My company opened up late on boxing day (Tuesday) compared the the normal opening times for any other Tuesday.

This meant I could not start at my normal time. The company still paid me for the correct amount of hrs I normally would work for that day but they never paid me the nightshift rate I would have been paid had I worked my actual contracted time.

They are saying they do not have to. I disagree as I have a contract stating my working times and if they decide to change the hrs then as a result I should not lose out financially.

Who is right.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Need more info.

If the contract says you will work X number of hours then that is all you are owed (regardless of any bonus payments for night shifts)
  • jumper12
    jumper12 Posts: 19 Forumite
    If you work between 10pm and 6am you are paid a nightshift rate under the terms of your contract. My contract hrs are from 5am.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    But you didn’t work the night shift...

Typically a contract states for example work 16 hours per week, and then a rota provides the actual hours
  • jumper12
    Hi

Yes i get that.

However I am contracted to. Yet through no fault of my own I was put in a position where I could not as the premises was opened up late. Therefore I am thinking I should be.
  • jumper12
    It also states my working days and times in my contract.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The two usual questions, how long have you worked there and are you in a union? Sometimes you need to pick your battles, and this may not be one to choose.
  • Six years or so and yes I am in a union. The reason I ask is not just because of myself, it's also on behalf of everyone else who would have been contracted to work night hrs but as a result of something that was not their own doing they also were not paid.
  • In that case, I would definitely get on to the union.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Tesco by any chance
  • jumper12
    The Green one.

So do you guys think they should pay..?

It was a contracted day and the contracted hrs fell over the nightshift hours. They were the ones who decided not to open until later then they normally would. Some staff didn't even know it was opening late and were sat in the car park from 5am - 7am waiting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure