PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How low would be reasonable to offer?

Comments

• Kidder81
    Kidder81 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I couldn't work out which one was which. They both look like they need a fair bit of work doing to me.

I don't know the area so can't comment on price but to me they look like 160k houses without about work. I'd be aiming to pay 150-155 with intention of spending the rest on the house.
  • Only pay what you can afford. Both look in reasonable live-in condition.

Do not be fooled by asking prices, pay what you can afford and don't go above what you think it's worth.

I missed out on a property even though I put in an offer more than I thought it was worth.

Bigger fools and all that.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.
  • Kidder81 wrote: »
    I couldn't work out which one was which. They both look like they need a fair bit of work doing to me.

I don't know the area so can't comment on price but to me they look like 160k houses without about work. I'd be aiming to pay 150-155 with intention of spending the rest on the house.

How can you possibly say this if you don't know the area? They might be worth 190K in good condition and be priced accordingly.
  • I prefer the second one. Kitchen is older but because its a kitchen diner you can do a lot more with it. It seems slightly bigger and lighter (colour scheme will effect that).., and not so much urgent decorating required.., garden is a lot better. Would need to replace bathroom but you could live with that. If you can get it at a lower price, that would just be an added bonus.

Didn't really like the first one at all. Dark and squashed in, tiny kitchen with newer but still outdated kitchen. Redecorating a must!
  • Marcus1991
    Marcus1991 Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2017 at 8:14AM
    The house ive just bought was up for 160k, we offered 144k, that was rejected. They said they'd come down to 155k, so we left it over the weekend and offered 148k. They eventually agreed on 151k. The house is a simular size to yours, our playing card was, we were first time buyers, it needed double glazing through out. We would have been happy to pay 160k because we loved the house, and it had been in the family from 1967-2008, but we stuck to our guns.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How can you possibly say this if you don't know the area? They might be worth 190K in good condition and be priced accordingly.

Do you know the area?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ceb1995 wrote: »

Cheers, second one looks better to me, but IMO if there is a rate hike/recession/bad Brexit (good name for a film that) they will lose value, you would need to be prepared for that. Appreciating that you probably want to buy and don`t want to annoy the seller too much I would offer 150k on the second one.
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    OP, I forgot to say think about how urgent your need to move is. Right now the stock of houses on the market will be its natural lowest across the year. If you aren't in a rush, wait until next spring when houses that have been taken off the market for Xmas are out back on. And when new sellers who decide over the holidays to put themselves on the market.
    We don't need to move very urgently, our rental contract is up in march and at the moment the landlord hasn't said he doesn't want us to stay.
  • ceb1995
    Kidder81 wrote: »

We feel the second one needs a lot more work but we could live in either without any work for a while.
  • ceb1995
    Only pay what you can afford. Both look in reasonable live-in condition.

Do not be fooled by asking prices, pay what you can afford and don't go above what you think it's worth.

I missed out on a property even though I put in an offer more than I thought it was worth.

Bigger fools and all that.
    They are both certainly in liveable condition, thinking long term we could do more to the second house to make it work for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure