MSE News: Food labelling shake-up 'to save shoppers £1 billion'

Options

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 12:51PM
    Options
    Eggs are ok to keep in the fridge or in a cool place, they shouldn't be kept somewhere that the temperature is constantly changing. This includes the fridge door, even if there is a special egg holder built into the door. I keep mine in there.

I also keep pineapple in the fridge, that appears to be controversial as well.
    I belong to the generation of people that were taught food facts by our mothers and don't need anything on the label to tell us how to treat food.

Congratulations. There appear to be a lot of people who's mothers didn't teach them, probably because they didn't learn either. Do we just discard those people or do something about it?
  • copperclock
    Options
    I'll continue keeping apples in a bowl on the table so that my children can help themselves to them.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Stores put those little pots of cut up pineapple in the chiller so why shouldn't you keep a pineapple in the fridge?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Stores put those little pots of cut up pineapple in the chiller so why shouldn't you keep a pineapple in the fridge?

The MSE story is slightly misleading. I believe the advice is to store out of the fridge for a whole pineapple - but in the fridge once you have cut it
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    The MSE story is slightly misleading. I believe the advice is to store out of the fridge for a whole pineapple - but in the fridge once you have cut it
    I agree.
    I think I heard a newsreader mention this yesterday during an interview with WRAP.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always feel a bit irritated at the advice to keep some things "in a cool dry place". A lot of people don't have a suitably cool place apart from the fridge.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Elliesmum wrote: »
    Hallelujah

I'm fed up of hiding packaging from my OH as he is OTT when it comes to use by dates. To him, it's out of date and therefore should not be eaten...

My eggs are kept in a ceramic chicken out of the fridge - never had a problem there either.

EM x

Want to give your husband a heart attack.?

Tell him I'm just finishing a packet of Basic Sainsbury's Muesli.

Best before date on Packet; June 2017. Nought wrong with it.

As long as you store foods, especially dried foods, in cool, non damp conditions they will last well past thier best before food dates.

The only food I will use as fast as I can before the use dates are tinned tomatoes or anything in a tin which is acid based as it will eat the protective internal tinning away.

Strange thing that also applies strangely to Heinz soups which taste 'tinny' after awhile I find.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ha ha - I wouldn't dare. But then he's had Italian meatballs for tea with a seeds of change pasta sauce that was dated June 2017 tonight and is none the wiser. I bought 10 jars at 17p a jar when a shop was selling them off!

I just hide the jar :rotfl:
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I belong to the generation of people that were taught food facts by our mothers and don't need anything on the label to tell us how to treat food. I also learned not to buy more than I can eat in a certain time frame and that way there is no food wasted in my house.

It is simply laziness on the part of people not wanting to think for themselves and thus needing to be TOLD what to do with their food after they have bought it.

I agree. What a lot of tosh these so-called experts come up with. Apart from anything else, this £1 billion that is going to be saved. It won't be the consumers who notice this "saving", because we'll be paying for all the new packaging that the snowflake generation is deemed to need.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Elliesmum wrote: »
    Ha ha - I wouldn't dare. But then he's had Italian meatballs for tea with a seeds of change pasta sauce that was dated June 2017 tonight and is none the wiser. I bought 10 jars at 17p a jar when a shop was selling them off!

I just hide the jar :rotfl:

Similarly, a few months back, I was going through our tin and jar cupboard and I found a jar of carbonara sauce from a well known German supermarket....that was 3 years 'out of date', well, 3 years past it's 'best before' date. No problem, took some frozen chicken out of the freezer that had been in there for nearly 18 months (in a dated bag). Defrosted that, knocked up chicken carbonara for dinner the next night. Perfect! But then I've done that sort of thing my whole life. It just makes me laugh when some people absolutely refuse to eat certain foods even if they are just one day out of date. Again, common sense applies. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure