Mental health and work

Options
Apologies if this sort of post isn't made for this forum but I need some advice as I feel so alone at the moment.

Had to come home from work this morning as it's all just become too much. I've been feeling like this a while now and after suffering from episodes of anxiety/depression in the past few years it's really spiked just recently and I'm close to breaking point. I thought I'd see a turn in my life after taking a job for a big, reliable company earning money I'm really grateful to, but it's grinding me down and massively and affecting my mental state.

I called the doctors who rang back on a telephone appointment - the lady was next to useless. Booked me in for an appointment with the mental health nurse in 3-4 weeks. Sounded like she couldn't wait to get off the phone.

I don't know what to do. I need time away from work to suss out if it's really for me, I'm scared of letting people around me down as this was 'the job for life'.

How do I tell work? I told them I had a migraine today as I just needed to get away.

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you had a job where you enjoy it, love going in, like the work, etc?

Only it sounds like the issue is with you, not with the job. Not sure how time away would help you suss out if it's for you. Would have thought you need to be there for that. If you're not there, surely you'll just find reasons why it's not for you?

Can't give medical advice on here, so will say wait for the appointment (or ring to keep checking if there's a cancellation) and try to get to the root of the problem.

Good luck x
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • El_W
    El_W Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Have you had a job where you enjoy it, love going in, like the work, etc?

Only it sounds like the issue is with you, not with the job. Not sure how time away would help you suss out if it's for you. Would have thought you need to be there for that. If you're not there, surely you'll just find reasons why it's not for you?

Can't give medical advice on here, so will say wait for the appointment (or ring to keep checking if there's a cancellation) and try to get to the root of the problem.

Good luck x

Not really. I didn't mind this job at first but now it's unfolding on what it's going to entail I'm beginning to think it might not be me. I've been searching for years but to no avail.

As I say, I have been going hard at it these past few months and now it's taking its toll on me.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are unsure about waiting for NHS treatment you could see if your work has an Employee Assistance Programme where you can access counselling. Alternatively, your industry may have a benevolent fund which you could access for either therapy or other help.

Can you pinpoint what it is about the job that is making you feel this way or has there been a particular incident that has led you to the point you were at today?
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • El_W
    El_W Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Alleycat wrote: »
    If you are unsure about waiting for NHS treatment you could see if your work has an Employee Assistance Programme where you can access counselling. Alternatively, your industry may have a benevolent fund which you could access for either therapy or other help.

Can you pinpoint what it is about the job that is making you feel this way or has there been a particular incident that has led you to the point you were at today?

Hi, thanks for your response.

I'm pretty sure my workplace does have EAP but I'm worried about contacting them.

The job I have is quite an important role and brings with it a big responsibility. (Water board) Although I've been put on training courses they are expecting me to go out now and ace my job every time. (I am nowhere near confident yet and most colleagues have been doing it years!). I've already tried talking to someone and they've just told me that's what I get paid so well for.

The snowball effect of everything has just made me feel like pure crap and question whether it's worth it.

Thanks for your words.
  • WreckDiver
    Options
    I second Alleycats suggestion and highly recommend you contact the Employee Assistant Scheme. I am currently using it myself for anxiety/depression that is impacting my work and home life. I have used it before and each time it was completly independent from my employer. I spoke to someone within a few days and was set up with a councillor very quickly. My main advise to you is not to make any spontaneous decisions RE your job until you understand where your feelings are coming from as it could just be the anxiety talking.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I do suggest that you speak to the Employee Support Service.

If you feel you are suifficinetly unwell that you cannot go in to work then call in sick and book an emrgency appointment with your GP, as you would with any other type of illness.

If the situation is that ou are strggling and unsure about whether you can do the job, then wait for the referral *you could also ask your Gp whether there are any private services which might be available more quickly, if that is something you could afford)

If you can, try to work out whether the spike in your depression and stress is due to the strain of starting a new job and having to familiarise yourself with a whole new set of people, processes and expectations, or whether it is a more fundemental mis-match of you and the job.

If you feel that it is not going to work and that you are not going to b able to do this job and remain healthy, then it is worth starting to look seriously at looking for a different role - it may not be as well paid, but you spend a huige proportion of time in work and being in a job which makes you ill is not a good idea, if you can possibly avoid it.

Are there any less senior roles within your current organisation which you feel you would be better suited to?

Are there specifc parts of your current job that are causing serious issues for you?

Ar there other people doing the same job who you can make friends with and ask for practical advice?

Who did you speak to who told you that that is what you are paid for? Was this your line manager, a peer, or a friend? Is there someone else you can speak to?

If you can't do the job without getting ill you are not 'letting pople down' anymore than you would be letting them down if you could not do the job becuase you got cancer or pneumonia or had a heart attack - but it may mean that you *can't* do the job and that it is healthier for you to lok elsewhere.

Could you afford to take a pay cut to take a less stressful job?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Good luck I was just put on pills, I've had no talking therapy zilch.

I only thank my lucky stars my cat didn't die on the Monday night but nearly 7 days later as a Saturday night turned into Sunday morning.

Today I attended an interview and I think the Tuesday after the cat died was easier then physically feeling ill and being contagious (sorry)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If there's an EAP, the company will not know WHO has accessed it, ever.

If you have to phone HR and ask for how to access it, that information should still remain confidential, and the EAP certainly won't be saying who has accessed it.

If anything, it shows a sensible approach in a new job: you feel overwhelmed, you talk to someone about it. Please use all the help you can get.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    El_W wrote: »
    Apologies if this sort of post isn't made for this forum but I need some advice as I feel so alone at the moment.

Had to come home from work this morning as it's all just become too much. I've been feeling like this a while now and after suffering from episodes of anxiety/depression in the past few years it's really spiked just recently and I'm close to breaking point. I thought I'd see a turn in my life after taking a job for a big, reliable company earning money I'm really grateful to, but it's grinding me down and massively and affecting my mental state.

I called the doctors who rang back on a telephone appointment - the lady was next to useless. Booked me in for an appointment with the mental health nurse in 3-4 weeks. Sounded like she couldn't wait to get off the phone.

I don't know what to do. I need time away from work to suss out if it's really for me, I'm scared of letting people around me down as this was 'the job for life'.

As I say, I have been going hard at it these past few months and now it's taking its toll on me.

Sorry to read that you feel alone, and how much you are struggling. (((hugs)))

If you think you need to be signed off work, do contact your GP practice again and say so. Definitely access counselling via your workplace; as others have said this should be completely confidential. I would encourage you to share what you have written here with anyone you feel able to.

Proven to be beneficial in clinical depression and anxiety is targeted healthy eating and daily physical activity, and this is a great complement to talking therapies. Barely anyone follows more than a few of the official healthy living guidelines, and it is entirely natural to let this slip a little further when we very busy or very stressed.

At this time of year oily fish is arguably one of the most important: up to four servings each week is recommended. This supplies long chain omega-3s, vitamin D3, and various B group vitamins. Another important micronutrient is magnesium, which is found in various seeds (pumpkin/ chia/ flax), cocoa and very dark chocolate. More generally, a Mediterranean diet including plenty of fruit and veg (at least five a day).

As far as daily physical activity is concerned try to get outdoors in the daylight, cycling or walking at lunchtime say. British sunlight is not now strong enough for us to convert vitamin D in our skin until April, but the light entering our eyes positively impacts brain chemistry and mental wellbeing.

You wondered what to tell work and others ....and perhaps you don't make time for balanced nutritious meals, or for a proper break in the middle of the day? If you read more detail on reputable websites (eg. MH Foundation, No Panic, NHS) you will hopefully become more confident in telling colleagues and other people around you that you are following expert medical/ healthcare advice.

HTH! :)
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Two years ago I signed on sick with depression & work related stress. Occupational Health (OH) did the diagnosis but for some reason didn't tell me and or I didn't understand what they had said. I was off work for 6 months and didn't go back to the job that I was doing.

To recover I eventually (after being quite reluctant) made use of my employers EAP membership and that fast tracked "free & confidential" counselling. For me it was very useful.

All the literature I read suggested getting outside. So I did go walking every day in all weathers including during the beast from the east. My friends were also there for me as well.

The OH doctor did suggest drug therapy but after telling him about my other medical condition he agreed that I shouldn't risk that getting worse.

As my GP was responsible for fit notes I kept him informed and he was ok with the self help measures that I was doing.

So OP if you need to be off sick to get better then do that. Use all the resources that your employer has including EAP and Occupational Health
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure