Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share cashback on a shared bill with my housemates?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I've sorted the bills out for my student house and, thanks to my own initiative, got £120 cashback on our broadband bill. Should I share it or keep it?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why would you not share with them? Were I your co-tenant, and I found out later that you had kept a cash-back to yourself, to "reward" your business acumen, then I would be looking for another flat-sharer.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think you should tell the others about it. Perhaps rather than sharing it out it would be fun to use it collectively for a blinding night out sometime?
  • Wasn't this topic raised the other week?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • jaizan
    jaizan Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If they generally share in the household chores, behave well and so on, then you should probably share it. Friendship & principles are more important than £120.

If they won't lift a finger and leave you doing everything, then of course you might just hang onto it as you are probably already looking to move out and find some new flat mates ?
  • dw1
    dw1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Based on personal experience, you shouldn’t tell them about it yet. Hold onto it until the end of the year, then share it with whichever housemates (if any) paid you the bills on time and in full.

Consider it a deposit for when one of your housemates forgets to pay you then ‘conveniently’ changes their phone number immediately after moving out.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably you all contribute to the cost of broadband, so you share the savings.
    Hardly rocket science is it? What is the dilemma here please?
  • Angri
    Angri Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    !!!!!! - - Treat others as you would wish them to treat you!
  • Keep a track of it each month and throw a surprise party 🥳🍾🎈🎉 with the cashback!!
  • Absolutely not. The Cashback from Utility Bills regulations 2013 clearly state that the name of the person on the account from which payment is made is entitled to 100% of the cashback, if payment is made by direct debit.

Beware of para 5(j).3.7.21 however which states different conditions for more than 4 people in the property if one of them is female and under 21.
  • dw1 wrote: »
    Based on personal experience, you shouldn’t tell them about it yet. Hold onto it until the end of the year, then share it with whichever housemates (if any) paid you the bills on time and in full.

Consider it a deposit for when one of your housemates forgets to pay you then ‘conveniently’ changes their phone number immediately after moving out.

This is a frequent problem for anyone trying to manage bills for a group of people. I totally agree about keeping it as a deposit but if any of the others find out before the end of contract they might still get upset. If you tell them they won't be too worried about paying the bill & rely on the "deposit"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure