divorced 8 years ago

2»

Comments

• BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can't challenge the verdict because there was no verdict, only an agreement that yourself and your ex wife came too and which was prepared by solicitors and sealed by the courts.

How old are the children now?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Were you living in Scotland at the time of the divorce?
    If so you might want to update your OP so you don't get replies based on English law.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    because of my remote location (scotland) , there are only two or three solicitors , who all seem unable to help.Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Scottish law - completely different, I'm afraid. The financial agreement may well have formed part of the overall 'divorce' process (as in, one process).

You need to speak to a Scottish solicitor, from my recollection of Scottish law (IANAL) you can't do anything yourself. At the very least, ask this question of the Scotland peeps on Wikivorce.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    BAFE wrote: »
    , only an agreement that yourself and your ex wife came too and which was prepared by solicitors and sealed by the courts.
    Where does the OP say this?
    OP states that there was no financial agreement - I read that to mean that he just walked away
    :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Scottish law is a different beast i'm afraid
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Scottish law - completely different, I'm afraid. The financial agreement may well have formed part of the overall 'divorce' process (as in, one process).

You need to speak to a Scottish solicitor, from my recollection of Scottish law (IANAL) you can't do anything yourself. At the very least, ask this question of the Scotland peeps on Wikivorce.

This is correct - in scottish law, financial separation is a part of the divorce process and the divorce cannot be completed without it. You can do parts of it yourself, like agree among you what the split should be then just get a solicitor to draft it (rather than them negotiating the split) to keep bills down but the financial agreement usually requires both parties to have their own independent legal advice - and I would've expected any solicitor to make you fully aware what you were signing away. Particularly if you owned any of the items solely before becoming married as they wouldn't form marital assets so wouldn't have been up for grabs anyway.

Was there any such minute of agreement that you signed?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Did you tried talking to a lawyer about it ?

He/She can guide you much better on it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure