Office temperature

Hi,

I realise that this is quite a different topic, but I consider it covers my basic rights at work.

Our workplace has a very badly designed air-con system, making some offices very cold, whilst other offices barely feel the difference of air-con at all.

I work in one of the very cold offices, where the temperature this week is fluctuating between 15 and 17 degrees. Realistically it's sittingt for the majority of the time at 16 degrees, which i believe is bang on the HSE minimum temperature for a workplace.

Our work is computer-based, with very little movement involved all day. I have spoken to our health and safety advisor, who has basically taken the stance that "it's above the mimimum, so why are you complaining?" - Meanwhile, my hands are going numb and i've had to start wearing my jacket inside.

What else can I do? there are four of us in the office, and each of us is cold and each of us has complained, but it seems to make no difference.

in all honesty, I think the business realises that the fix would be extremely costly, and are trying to put off getting it done.

Help would be appreciated as to my rights and any course of action.

Thanks

Martin
"One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat."
-Woodrow Wilson

Comments

• Sticky one as the minimum and maximum temperatures were removed from the H&S law a number of years ago, if the temperature is "uncomfortable" your employer has to take steps to mitigate this, protective clothing, regular breaks in the warm, hot drinks etc, same if working in high temps, breaks int he cold, cold drinks and PPE.
    Is it a big organisation? do you have a HR department, put it in writing to them rather than just verbally complain, do you have a union? try then if you do.
    It really depends if you are OK "putting your head above the parapet" will the others back you in the office? you will possibly get further and not damage your job if they do, plenty of dead office hero's out there!
    Other than that fingerless gloves, wolly hat and thermal knickers, if you have visiting customers the site of a Mr/Mrs Crachet in the corner focuses minds on repairs!
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2012 at 12:30PM
    Hi,

I realise that this is quite a different topic, but I consider it covers my basic rights at work.

Our workplace has a very badly designed air-con system, making some offices very cold, whilst other offices barely feel the difference of air-con at all.

I work in one of the very cold offices, where the temperature this week is fluctuating between 15 and 17 degrees. Realistically it's sittingt for the majority of the time at 16 degrees, which i believe is bang on the HSE minimum temperature for a workplace.

Our work is computer-based, with very little movement involved all day. I have spoken to our health and safety advisor, who has basically taken the stance that "it's above the mimimum, so why are you complaining?" - Meanwhile, my hands are going numb and i've had to start wearing my jacket inside.

What else can I do? there are four of us in the office, and each of us is cold and each of us has complained, but it seems to make no difference.

in all honesty, I think the business realises that the fix would be extremely costly, and are trying to put off getting it done.

Thanks

Martin

I would advise that you point your health & safety advsior in the direction of the Heath & Safety Executive website, and in particular this page.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

Are your 3 co-workers also having issues with the temperature? Are they having to wear their outside coats in the office? Are their hands also going numb?
    If so, you can't be very productive and I'm surprised your employer is not doing anything to improve your efficiency.

I guess you have no controls of the air conditioning (e.g. on/off switch, thermostat, etc ?) Could you open the office door (or even the windows in this weather) to help with the temperature until a more satisfactory resolution is put in place?

Have you enquired as to the possibilty of using a heater in the office? A cheap fan heater can be purchased for about a tenner, or an oil filled electric radiator for about £20.

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • Hi all,

thanks for the advice.

My company is a national one with 52 offices around England. Stupidly, engineering control everyone's AC from a central location in chesterfield (they obviously didn't trust the local offices to use their controls sensibly).

Our particular building is hermetically sealed (at least, the windows are) - so there are no opening windows in the entire building. If the AC system was a bit more sensibly installed, it would not have such a negative effect. The problem is that it's one large AC unit outside the building, which vents air into each room via air ducts in the roof cavity. Because we're first on the list for the air circulation, we get the 17 degree cold air.

There is a heater in here which we borrowed from security who sit in the gatehouse all year round - we have had to use it so much over the summer that it's broken down on us.

My next course of action, given the above responses will be such:

1. I am already wearing a jumper and jacket and still cold, so that option is covered. I don't think it's quite sane that i should have to wear fingerless gloves and a hat to sit in my office and use a computer, when it's about 20 degrees outside still. (plus this might even be a health risk going from warm to cold air and back again every day?)

2. I will contact my union to get their H&S area rep down and have a look.

3. I will write to the unit manager specifically with our names on the list to say that we are fed up of working in a cold office and ask for something to be done.

Does that seem like a logical plan?
    "One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat."
    -Woodrow Wilson
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

My company is a national one with 52 offices around England. Stupidly, engineering control everyone's AC from a central location in Chesterfield (they obviously didn't trust the local offices to use their controls sensibly).
    Shall I nip round and have a word?;)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2012 at 3:18PM
    Hi all,

thanks for the advice.

My company is a national one with 52 offices around England. Stupidly, engineering control everyone's AC from a central location in chesterfield (they obviously didn't trust the local offices to use their controls sensibly).

Our particular building is hermetically sealed (at least, the windows are) - so there are no opening windows in the entire building. If the AC system was a bit more sensibly installed, it would not have such a negative effect. The problem is that it's one large AC unit outside the building, which vents air into each room via air ducts in the roof cavity. Because we're first on the list for the air circulation, we get the 17 degree cold air.

There is a heater in here which we borrowed from security who sit in the gatehouse all year round - we have had to use it so much over the summer that it's broken down on us.

My next course of action, given the above responses will be such:

1. I am already wearing a jumper and jacket and still cold, so that option is covered. I don't think it's quite sane that i should have to wear fingerless gloves and a hat to sit in my office and use a computer, when it's about 20 degrees outside still. (plus this might even be a health risk going from warm to cold air and back again every day?)

2. I will contact my union to get their H&S area rep down and have a look.

3. I will write to the unit manager specifically with our names on the list to say that we are fed up of working in a cold office and ask for something to be done.

Does that seem like a logical plan?

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to have the vents blowing the [STRIKE]freezing cold [/STRIKE] 17C air into the room blocked at least partially?

Paper and sticky tape would probably do it. Discuss the possibilities with your employer.

Or get a replacement heater ;)

If the vented air is 17 degress, how come the office is only 15 degrees? :huh:

Even at 15 degrees centigrade (or about 60 degrees in old money), being the lowest of the range of temperatures you claim in your office, it should not necessitate a heathly adult to don a jumper, jacket, hat, fingerless gloves ... and still leave you feeling cold :eek:

Maybe make an appointment with your doctor. You may have some medical issues that need addressing.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi,

Thanks

Martin

Hi

The temperature in the workplace should normally be at least 16 degrees centigrade unless the work requires considerable physical effort, when it should be at least 13 degrees. These temperatures do not apply to rooms (or parts of rooms) where it would be impractical to maintain such temperatures, such as rooms which have to be open to the outside or where food has to be kept cold. In such cases, the temperature should be as close to 16 degrees (or 13 degrees) as is practical. A thermometer must be provided so that workers can check the temperature inside the building. Further information about workplace temperature is available from the Health and Safety Executive's website at www.hse.gov.uk
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure