Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

Options
victory
victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
I came up with my own challenge to only buy food that is on whoopsy/yellow sticker, reduced to clear, or half price or BOGO1 etc and already failed:rotfl::rotfl:

Went to Morries and got loads of sausages/chicken/korma/curries on yellow sticker and their 50p veg pots/carrots etc so that was going o.k until I needed shreddies and cheerios (always buy them when they are £1 or half price but had run out of the stash) all full price so very begrudgingly put the shreddies in for £2.75:eek: and the cheerios were the same price so that was going to be £5.50 just on cereal, made son put it back so back to £2.75 for one pack of shreddies, had already bought the £1 milk from iceland , the half price 60p white bread from morries, so was doing ok really.

It ended up very long looking all the time and hard work:rotfl:

I am off to Asda in a bit to buy their 50p toms in tin and 50p pot noodles in bulk as the noodles have gone up a lot and 50p for a standby quick snack seems very reasonable.

Anyone else just live off yellow stickers and reductions? Care to join the challenge and give hints and tips along the way?
misspiggy wrote: »
I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)

Comments

• matty17r
    matty17r Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried asdas own shreddies and cheerios? The cheerios imo are so much nicer than nestle! I too am addicted to yellow stickers but unfortunately cereal doesn't usually have these on. Try to wait until cereal is 3 for 2 at tesco when own brands work out really cheap. By the way asda shreddies are 3 for £3 whereas they are 1.59 a box in tesco. Still you can always do a price check for asda if you pay for them separately.
  • Heisenberg_2
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    Anyone else just live off yellow stickers and reductions? Care to join the challenge and give hints and tips along the way?

Nah - I just check the prices and get the best deals from the specific supermarkets as and when I need them and if there is something that I want or need in the reduced section when I pass I will pick it up.

I'm quite averse to people that get obsessed with picking up a "bargain" as my dad was like that. Never used to see him because he was always in Tesco. He never actually bought the things we needed but used to come back with these "bargains" which more often than not ended up uneaten and chucked.

He always assumed he was getting one over on the supermarkets when in fact he had a problem and we all actually missed out on anything remotely "normal".

I think it is sad beyond belief to shop like that but each to their own.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I have been doing this for ages. My diet is based round what I have picked up in the reduced section. Remember me on Hunt for Britains Tightest Person, Channel 4. The key is to be flexible with what you eat. The only rules I have is I don't eat meat, and very rarely have convenience food and junk food. I eat loads of reduced vegetables.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    matty17r wrote: »
    Have you tried asdas own shreddies and cheerios? The cheerios imo are so much nicer than nestle! I too am addicted to yellow stickers but unfortunately cereal doesn't usually have these on. Try to wait until cereal is 3 for 2 at tesco when own brands work out really cheap. By the way asda shreddies are 3 for £3 whereas they are 1.59 a box in tesco. Still you can always do a price check for asda if you pay for them separately.

I always buy the cereal in bulk when at half price or for £1 had just run out and it just coincided with no deals o nthem. tried Aldi cheerios kids said they tasted like cardboard:rotfl:
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • olliesmummy06
    olliesmummy06 Posts: 406 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2012 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Have you checked Amazon for cereal? I get both shreddies and cheerios from there, they were £4.77 and £3 respectivley for a 5 pack (shreddies) and 4 pack (cheerios), the only difference is they are catering packs and come in bags inside a branded box.

As for yellow stickers-it is rare i buy anything 'full price'. I tend to go twice a week to Mr T and at present have 46 meat potions in my freezer, all under 30p each. From rump steak, mince, casserole steak, chicken, lamb shanks/chops/mince/diced, pizzas, party food to salmon ( i was actually paid to take 8 packs away last week as they were down to 60p each but when buying 4 you got £4 off as a multi-buy, so 40p off my shopping for each one i bought.) I never buy full price veg and just tailor meals to what i have got, lunch tends to be reduced humous (i usually pay between 1-6p) or fresh carton soup-no more than 20p and does 2 meals.

I buy milk from either costco £1.49 for 2 x 4pt or our local asian supermarket for 69p for a 4pt. Crisps are whichever is on offer as are biscuits and bread. Eggs again from our local asian supermarket at 69p for 6 lg free range. I am pretty sure i will have missed loads of stuff out. As i don't work i want to make our money go as far as possible and if it means spending a couple of hours twice a week in Mr T getting bargains then so be it.

My hubby laughs that we are eating like kings for pittance. Long may the yellow stickers/glitches continue. I am sure you will be able to give it a good go, good luck Victory.xx
  • banks4u
    banks4u Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    Well I'm an ok paid person and I only buy reduced meat. I know how tight it is and it will only get worse. So yellow labels and value items are the way forward. it's not about being tight it's about not wasting money, especially now. This year will be even worse than the rest.
  • banks4u
    Options
    Oh and I thoroughly enjoy the meat that would cost the person who is so rude on the thread nearly double. I have a perfectly good life because I don't waste my money on over inflated items at the supermarket.
  • pinksk8
    pinksk8 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh & if you live nearby a Home Bargains or B&M, you can usually get branded cereals for a pound! My first time posting, i feel like I have met a whole bunch of soulmates!
    Won 2012:
    Bobbi Brown Mascara / TRIA System
    Raceday Tickets / Dainty Doll Make-Up /
    Garnier Face Serum / Tanning Kit
  • banks4u
    Options
    Iiona I like the way you think. I have done the same for many years. I was actually thinking of making this a yellow year.
  • banks4u
    Options
    I just wish I had a bigger freezer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business