We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Poinsettias

Options
I was really pleased with myself for nurturing two poinsettias (one original, the second a cutting) since last Christmas. They are quite large and healthy looking but very green. I've been reading up recently and discovered I should have given them extended darkness periods overnight, which probably accounts for the lack of redness. I've not done much in the way of feeding either (if that makes a difference).

I accept that I'm probably going to be too late for Christmas but would welcome any tips to get them to 'flower' please. (I know it is actually to form bracts rather than flowers). Over the last few nights they have been in dark cupboards and out again in the day.

Thanks
somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have one which is now huge, 3ft high. Apparently they can reach 12ft high :eek::eek::eek:
    https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-poinsettias-leaves-turn-red-97461.html
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I have one which is now huge, 3ft high. Apparently they can reach 12ft high :eek::eek::eek:

Do you subject yours to long periods of darkness to encourage it to turn red? It seems that this is the thing to do.
  • Justagardener
    Options
    They need approximately 16hrs of complete darkness in a 24hr period for about 8 weeks. Best to try and do this naturally from 4pm to 8am the next day. This should give you deep coloured braces 2 weeks before Christmas!:xmassign:
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have tried many times to keep a poinsettia from one xmas to the next with no success.

At the moment our 2019 plant is looking as fit as a butchers dog, lush leaves, even some going red. It is on a north facing window ledge which we suspect has helped.

Anybody else in the same situation or experienced this before. Ironic, we do nothing it survives well, we follow the palaver of putting it in secret dark places and they die..._
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine grew well but stayed green.  I wasn't very successful at keeping it in complete darkness (It was in a cupboard that had a door that didn't fit well) so partly my fault.  In the end I decided it was quite a dull plant and put it in the compost bin.  It's not as though they are expensive to buy in the autumn.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2020 at 2:54PM
    Options
    This is a poinsettia that my daughter bought me Christmas 2015, it lives on my dining room windowsill - I don’t have any curtains or blinds on this window, so it’s only in the dark when it’s dark outside at night.
    It randomly develops red ‘flower’ several times a year.
    I took this photo about 3 weeks ago 

2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    missile said:
    When I lived on the equator, I used to prune my poinsettias back to about 8ft once a year at the end of the dry season.   They would then put on about 6ft of new growth during the rains before slowly turning red once again as the next dry season ensued.  I’m afraid I now view the potted poinsettias sold for Christmas a bit like the caged tigers at the zoo... really lovely but somehow not quite right! :smile:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback