MoneySaving for dog owners discussion

Comments

• HalfPint
    HalfPint Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lots of non-prescription and prescription meds are cheaper to buy online rather than directly from the vets. With prescription meds, remember to factor in the cost of the actual prescription (my vet charges £15 per script) to make sure you’re still saving money.

If your dog needs antihistamine (chlorphenramine), it’s much cheaper to get the 4mg from your local pharmacy. Just don’t tell them it’s for your dog! And obviously check with your vet it’s suitable first (it goes without saying you shouldn’t give any human meds to your pet without checking with your vet first!) It was my vet that advised me to do this.

HP.
    DEBT FREE DATE: 05/02/2015!

Those things in life that we find the hardest to do, are the things we are the most thankful we did.
  • Hello to the Lady who said she could not get insurance for her dog from Romania

If you take the dog to a vets they may be able to tell you its age
  • Our Vet offers a petplan, so for £12 a month our dog has her annual vaccinations, flea & worm treatment, claw clipping twice a year and we save 10% on any other treatments, or anything in the surgery shop. My calculations suggested we would save over £70 per year, and the convenience is priceless!
  • This is just advice to all who are buying a new pup
    you are told to see the mother or both parents
    this is impossible as they may not be and just borrowed
    and also it could be mother and son
    brother and sister or father and daughter
    don't always believe they have had vaccinations or been wormed without documents of proof

I found this out when my late wife and I bought a little dog
    I will not say the breed but was told that her legs where twisted so took her to the vets who operated on her and she was fine
    but was told that if he went to Scotland and then to the south coast and took blood from these dogs that were the same breed the DNA would be 90% from the same family

but don't take my word nor be discouraged buy yourselves a lovely dog and live with it in complete happiness no matter what

my lady dog is so affectionate with me now
  • Avdav
    Avdav Posts: 5 Forumite
    I felt that our vet had really let us down! One of our boys had raised liver enzymes and the vet told us that he had to have a specific medication to support his liver. She didn't tell us that it was a non prescription drug!
    When the time came to claim back from the insurance company, I was shocked to discover that they had deducted £800+ from the expected cheque. I telephoned them to find out why and was told that the drug we were given by the vet could have been purchased on Amazon!
    I think that the vet should advise the dog owner when it is not strictly a prescription drug as they often charge 2-3 times the price than if bought elsewhere!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Avdav wrote: »
    I felt that our vet had really let us down! One of our boys had raised liver enzymes and the vet told us that he had to have a specific medication to support his liver. She didn't tell us that it was a non prescription drug!
    When the time came to claim back from the insurance company, I was shocked to discover that they had deducted £800+ from the expected cheque. I telephoned them to find out why and was told that the drug we were given by the vet could have been purchased on Amazon!
    I think that the vet should advise the dog owner when it is not strictly a prescription drug as they often charge 2-3 times the price than if bought elsewhere!

I'd suggest it was the insurer that let you down rather than the vet.

What did your insurance terms and conditions say about this, and did you challenge it? My insurer has never knocked off money because the medication is cheaper elsewhere, and was the amazon mess for people or dogs? Some are inteRchangeable, others may not be depending on what else is in there other than the active ingredients.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Avdav wrote: »

I had a similar problem in that I was buying £80 per month tablets and ' special' antiseptic wipes at £40 from my vet and she failed to tell me I could have a subscription and buy them on the internet at a fraction of the cost. When a friend told me I asked why I hadn't been informed of this I was told they had a hospital to pay for and they wait for clients to ' find out' about prescription's.

Needless to say I have now changed vets.
  • 114894dk
    114894dk Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Excellent article, just missing a massive 'don't buy animals off the internet' and to report pages/accounts/groups selling on Facebook etc.
  • Hi Scurrier.
    I get the zipped dog covers from eBay 71 X 96 cm and I replace them after each winter, one a year but at less than £5 I don’t mind that! I’ve never had one break. One arrived with a broken zip but the seller replaced it with no arguments.
    My Alsatian is 8 now with bad hips sadly but because both his beds are orthopaedic memory foam and the same depth as any human mattress he gets very comfortable with no trouble! I have hard floors throughout so he can’t lie on them without being very stiff on his legs afterwards but he has no issues after a long sleep on his budget homemade dog bed! :j
  • Yesterday I requested a repeat prescription for my 'young at hear' 13 year old Boxer who has problem teeth but an operation due to her age is not an option. The vet suggested an ongoing prescription for antibiotics at a cost of £250!! Having already looked online where the cost was over 50% less I asked for the prescription to buy elsewhere. 8 tablets from the vet to cover until the online order arrives (3 days) cost £40 and the online order for 84 tablets cost £49.00! I appreciate it may not always be the case that online is cheaper but it's got to be worth a look first?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure