I'm going to join the world of cat owners!!!!

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get all excited about the possibility of finally getting a cat...

I'm 31, have lived away from home since 2006, always wanted a cat as I always had them growing up; but only last summer did I actually buy a house and could therefore actually think about getting one!

House needed some decorating/work, I didn't want to get one during all that.. also I decided that although not strictly necessary, I really wanted a cat flap so Mr Whiskers will be able to come and go as he pleases.

The back door in the house was a pair of fully glazed French doors, and we are in the process of getting them replaced (they were rubbish anyway) with ones with a cat flat pre-installed...

Once that's in, I'm cat-ready!

Bloody scared though, truth be told, as it's a massive responsibility... I think I would like to get an RSPCA cat rather than a kitten, because although my partner and I usually work very different shifts, there will still be a fair amount of time where no one will be home... will the RSPCA have an issue with that? I've heard they are extremely selective... we live on a quiet road which is good I guess...

Any advice, suggestions, stories... sorry for such a rambling post with no real point, I'm just a bit excited..

Comments

• scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    google to see if there are any local cat rescues near you or try the local Cats Protection.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• monty-doggy
    monty-doggy Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    If you are not home a lot I'd seriously consider getting a rescue pair together, then they have each other for company and will feel more settled quicker. It's not much harder looking after two than one, I've got two and I hardly notice the difference other than buying two collars and a bit more food.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    And so it begins ... I rescued one, and now have nine :) Seriously, do consider getting a pair so they can be company for each other.

http://www.catchat.org/
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • Aldeney
    Aldeney Posts: 429 Forumite
    I often look at the local cat rescue sites and have noticed that they quite often state if a cat needs someone home a lot or not. Great idea to get a cat flap though so Kitty can come and go as they please.

I wish you happy hunting for your new addition and many years of happy times.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    I'd second 2 as well. I fact I have 4 cats. Two rescued from same litter and then 2 years later 2 , my dear daughter's cat had kittens so another rescue. Just rememebr when you get your new cat(s) to keep it ( them) in for about 2 weeks.

Be warned I hope you're not too house proud. Depending on its' nature you migh have some furniture damage or dead 'presents'.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I shouldn't think an adult cat would have issues with you going out to work - after all they know that 'someone' has to do it to supply them with the essentials and the little luxuries of life- and it wont be them! you may get the odd contribution to the larder, and spend less on flyspray and insect control but that really is the limit for most cats.

joking of course! welcome to the world of cat slaves!
    good luck and don't rule out smaller cat or re-homing centres. they are often a little more 'flexible' on the ideal owner/slave.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Like the others have said... One is not good enough!

You'll start with one, then you'll think oh, but he/she is a bit lonely... no, honestly - have a look around in the rescue centres and get a pair!
  • Thanks all, it is one of my fears that I will end up a crazy cat man, and the local children will dare each other to ring my doorbell...

My mum has 2 cats and they don't seem to like each other very much, they spend no time together and one of them likes to tw*t the other one round the head whenever it walks past!

I have indeed seen some cats advertised as "prefers a house with no other cats", so I would certainly either go for one like that, or get a pair :)

I will almost certainly be back for some more specific advice a little closer to the time.. but yay!

And houseproud I ain't ;-)
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Keep it quiet, but a crazy cat man is terribly sexy to a lot of us :) I should know, I married one. He's worse than I am.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • HA, I don't think I'd make a terribly sexy crazy cat man, I think I'd make a mildly unsettling one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure