Asking for compensation from Landlord from repeated blroken equipment due to poor electrical power

Options
Johndole25
Johndole25 Posts: 39 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I have been renting from a private landlord for over 3 years. This post is asking for advice on how to go about claiming compensation from the Private letters that have failed to fix a bad (and potentially dangerous electrical issue)

In this property there were some very bad electrical issues to begin with that mimicked brownouts and other things that are very bad for appliances. The light would frequently flicker and things would power down and power up very fast. This is very bad for eletricals as it undervolts and draws more current breaking things.

This varied ins severity until it was unbearable. They sent a "electrician round" who didn't fix it and said they couldn't. Until other started getting it. They send EDF power round eventually who "solved the issue".

Same thing came back with different symptoms, now occasionally the loght would suddenly turn off or flicker for a while.

THREE times they have now sent round EDF power saying he issues wis fixed.

Two computers totalling over $1200 have broken, along with expensive accessories. The food in my fridge went off for a whole evening ruining the frozen food. My air purifier that is expensive has broken along with speakers, VERY expensive headphone and an audio interface and the stress of having to deal with this in the flat.

It's happening again and no way I'm buying more things. It has been a whole year and they haven't solved the issue. I want to claim compensation for my broken goods, but am unsure about how to do it.

I have proof of messaging the regional manager of the letting agents along with their obvious correspondence to EDF.

How do I go about this and will I need a lawyer?

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    If this problem is something that EDF are dealing with then I’m guessing it’s a problem with the supply rather than the electrics of the property. If so then it’s not the landlord’s responsibility. You need to try to get compensation from the supplier. In the first instance I’d write a letter explaining the circumstances, the damage caused, and ask them for compensation. Expect an uphill battle with them.

The other option is to claim on your contents insurance.
  • Johndole25
    Options
    I think you are right about that, the landlord has had them come down multiple times and they haven't fixed the problem fully.

I'll try nonetheless.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Get EDF to install a power monitor & data logger just after the electricity meter. This will should reveal if the brownouts are a result of the incoming supply or a problem with the wiring in the house/flat.

In the meantime, run your computers from a UPS - They are designed to handle brownouts and protect delicate electronics.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    In the meantime, run your computers from a UPS - They are designed to handle brownouts and protect delicate electronics.
    This is good advice in any case. I have a Tesla Powerwall as my UPS for the whole house. Their app records grid outages and I've six since July when it was installed (the unreliability of the grid where I live was a big motivation for installing it).
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Johndole25 wrote: »
    ...................... The food in my fridge went off for a whole evening ruining the frozen food. ....................

It may be inconvenient but the food is not ruined - chilled food will be fine; frozen like meat will cook; your only loss might be ice-cream.

From the symptoms you describe nothing to do with your landlords installation - lean on EDF
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • snowcat75
    snowcat75 Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If its a supply side then chances are its UKPN, they are responsible for the network. EDF are just the supplier and only provide the bit from the metering head.

Proving damage has occurred will be extremely difficult, Its not improbable but having spent decades running all sorts of equipment of dirty noisy supplies (generators and like) and have never had an issue (except for lightning strikes) then UKPN/EDF will be very very sceptical about such a large amount of damage caused in a short period of time, especially as so much equipment now self protects against surges or loss of phases.

Taking utility company's on for compensation is not going to get you far, they have more money to fight such matters than you do (UKPN are Chinese owned and really don't like throwing there profits out), Pushing your LL hard on a fault that sounds like he's been more than helpful on is likely to end in a S21.

I would pursue UKPN to sort the fault and in the mean time buy some cheep surge protectors, as for compensation put that down to experience and kick yourself for not spending the £25 to do so in the first place, no supply is 100% safe and anyone can lose a phase, get hit by lightning or have a transformer short out...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure