bodily injury claim to MIB. Do I get a solicitor or not?

2»

Comments

• Hi,

I have been in the similar situation, i was hit from the front by a speeding vehicle which was a stolen uninsured car. I was stationary on the red light with my family. I was badly injured and had an operation next day. It has been over 4 months. I appointed a solicitor near my home but the guy is not experienced, we have not submitted forms to MIB yet and i think i should take the case from him and claim on my own. What would you advice me is it a good idea to claim direct on my own?

Thanks
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,017
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can't help re the claim and your options, but have you signed any contract with the solicitor? You may find that if you take the matter away and deal with it by yourself, you still have to pay them their commission or agreed fee because you signed a contract to say you did.

Whatever you do, get it in writing that that they agree to no longer act for you before you do it yourself.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has an advice regarding the MIB.
    I was involved in a car accident at the beginning of May 19 (not my vehicle).
    I put in for a personal injury claim and attended physio, GP appointments etc.
    Physio has been completed and I received an offer from the MIB via my solicitor which I accepted. I was told by my solicitor that they had 15 working days to make payment. The 15 days is well and truly up and I still haven’t received payment. I was emailed last week to say it had been passed to the enforcement team. Does anyone have any experience of this? He frustrating thing is the person who was in the vehicle with me has already had their claim paid and we accepted at the same time.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Robin7715 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has an advice regarding the MIB.
    I was involved in a car accident at the beginning of May 19 (not my vehicle).
    I put in for a personal injury claim and attended physio, GP appointments etc.
    Physio has been completed and I received an offer from the MIB via my solicitor which I accepted. I was told by my solicitor that they had 15 working days to make payment. The 15 days is well and truly up and I still haven’t received payment. I was emailed last week to say it had been passed to the enforcement team. Does anyone have any experience of this? He frustrating thing is the person who was in the vehicle with me has already had their claim paid and we accepted at the same time.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ask your solicitor regarding their enforcement processes.
  • Techy_girl
    Techy_girl Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2023 at 5:01AM
    Just jumping on here to update - Its now Jan 23... 4 yrs after the accident. Because my injuries were complex - I'm still very much IN the MIB process (via my solicitor and a barrister)  not only because hospital consultants wanted to wait to see if my injuries would 'settle' and whether an operation is going to be needed but also the driver changed his story and added some lies which has been incredibly upsetting.

The Barrister has been involved for the last 2 yrs.

MIB claims must be submitted up to a max 3yrs after accident, but the process can last longer so although we're very much in the last phase, I recently underwent treatment submitted new photo's of injury consequences which supports my 4yr hell.

I'll be seeing consultants YET again very soon, and will update if there's any significant developments.

Peace <3

• Techy_girl
    Techy_girl Posts: 13
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 March at 3:13PM
    Hi - its my final post.  My nightmare is over and after 4yrs of back and forth the MIB finally gave a settlement that I accepted.  There was 3months left to the court date...we were THAT close to going to court.

MIB didn't cover loss of wages, and I'm still in pain every day but it's over and the settlement is decent and the driver still gets to have a clean driving record.

What I've learned throughout all of this is- no matter how small you think the injury is ... get a solicitor.  At a certain point the MIB's solicitors and they're so called consultants weren't even taking the hospital records and scans, and quite frankly making up out right lies of 'no contact' and so called 'missed appointments'.

If it wasn't for my solicitor as witness to their lies and causing more distress who would have believed me? there was a Psych doc of theirs who was making appointments, breaking appointments and LYING about it!  and she was meant to be 'court appointed'? Even down played the effects and aftermath of loosing my work contract.

The orthepedic consultant of MIB gave a half assed report, and ignored reporting on a whole body part :neutral: and even when photographic evidence of residual effects after the accident, they tried to downplay a known physical side effect.

My solicitor stepped in, barred all communications directly to me and only through her and her team while I focussed on healing. The Physch doc of the MIB tried to run around my solicitor and quite frankly strengthened my case for mental distress. This did of course mean my solicitor fees was astronomical and superceeded my payout, but as I wasn't the one who would have to cover those fee's it was o.k.

What I was blind-sided with though was the 20% win commision the solicitor took ON TOP of the fee's claimed but out of MY final settlement... at that point... the end point I stopped caring, I was worn out.

I received the compensation in full, but also had to battle my solicitor in the end because she wasn't handing not even 50% over whilst she was awaiting fee payment from the MIB there was treatments I was desparate to get started on treatment and get a surgeon, so I needed to start a complaint proceedure against her to get a 30% release whilst her fees was being settled. 

After the so called win, it took another 2months for the entire thing to be over.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback