Engagement Rings (merged)

1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi, my daughter and her be are getting engaged. They haven't much money. I wondered if any of you had had an old ring reset and what it cost.
    We have a family ring diamond cluster I think. One central,diamond surrounded by Sven others.mthhenshankmis the shad the setting is worn low.mjust wondering if it might be cheaper to buy new?
    It is a pretty ring .
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Hi, my daughter and her be are getting engaged. They haven't much money. I wondered if any of you had had an old ring reset and what it cost.
    We have a family ring diamond cluster I think. One central,diamond surrounded by Sven others.mthhenshankmis the shad the setting is worn low.mjust wondering if it might be cheaper to buy new?
    It is a pretty ring .
    I'd say the best thing to do is to take it into a jewellers and ask.
    Whilst you are there, look at new rings to compare prices.

Re having the old ring reset - to me it would depend on the quality of the diamonds and how much sentimentality was attached to it.
  • Artytarty
    Thanks for your reply Pollycat.
    Yes you're right. I will take it into a jewellers this week.
    I think we had it valued after MIL s death nearly twenty years ago. Around £1000 or so I seem to remember so not of much monetary value.
    Things ami still using it:
    1. daughters bf is a pried she may live to resent the fact she didn't get the ring of her choice.
    2. Would be sp Ning more than it's worth on fixing it up,probably.

Things for: 1.
    it's a pretty ring and does suit her hand.
    2. Her father would be delight s that his Mums ring is being used.
    3. It would save them money.the ring of her first choice is a Diana style sapphire and diamond ring that cost £4000
  • If you have not got a lot of money, what the heck is wrong with buying a ring with a zirconia stone?

Unless an expert views it closely, no one will ever know, apart from you?
  • Pollycat
    Thanks for your reply Pollycat.
    Yes you're right. I will take it into a jewellers this week.
    I think we had it valued after MIL s death nearly twenty years ago. Around £1000 or so I seem to remember so not of much monetary value.
    Things ami still using it:
    1. daughters bf is a pried she may live to resent the fact she didn't get the ring of her choice.
    2. Would be sp Ning more than it's worth on fixing it up,probably.

Things for: 1.
    it's a pretty ring and does suit her hand.
    2. Her father would be delight s that his Mums ring is being used.
    3. It would save them money.the ring of her first choice is a Diana style sapphire and diamond ring that cost £4000

I don't agree that a ring valued over 20 years ago at £1K is 'not of much monetary value' - unless it was for insurance purposes as that is usually inflated.
    What is their budget for a ring?

If you are anywhere near Birmingham, I'd take it into the Jewellery Quarter for a quote.
    I wouldn't bother going into the high street chains such as H Samuel.

TBH, I think the key question is "does your daughter like the idea of using a family ring enough to spend the money on having it remodelled?" Or is she happy with the ring as it is?
    And is her boyfriend happy with that too?
    She will need to consider if the ring will fit with whatever wedding ring she chooses.
    TBH I don't know what a 'pried' is.

If they don't have much money, she's probably going to have to forget the £4K ring.
  • Artytarty
    Sorry, my bad typing and auto do some strange things. That should read worried.
    She wants to pay for half herself and he wants her to have the ring she most wants. BUT he is prepared to pay in instalments . Gulp. She wouldn't have to.Not much of a start, is it? So they could buy the sapphire and diamond one.I'd rather lend him the money myself but that seems wrong too.

it was valued for probate after death of MIL.i just remember the jeweller saying it wasn't great but there's no doubt it's very pretty looking. A sort of flower shape with a diamond in the middle surrounded by seven others. The shank is worn thin and the setting is rubbed down. It was worn for fifty years after all.Bought in 1945 when I guess there wasn't much money around.
    I think the big thing is not knowing how you will feel in the future!
    I'll go to the jeweller anyhow and see if he says it's worthwhile or not for a start.
  • Pollycat
    Sorry, my bad typing and auto do some strange things. That should read worried.
    Tell me about it...:rotfl:
    She wants to pay for half herself and he wants her to have the ring she most wants. BUT he is prepared to pay in instalments . Gulp. She wouldn't have to.Not much of a start, is it? So they could buy the sapphire and diamond one.I'd rather lend him the money myself but that seems wrong too.
    Of course it's up to them but a very expensive engagement ring (when they've not got much money) seems a bit silly. I guess they're both quite young?
    Having a ring on your finger (and a direct debit to a jewellers for the next 3 or so years to pay for it) shouldn't be the most important thing about being engaged. It's a promise that you're going to marry each other. But that's just my view.
    it was valued for probate after death of MIL.i just remember the jeweller saying it wasn't great but there's no doubt it's very pretty looking. A sort of flower shape with a diamond in the middle surrounded by seven others. The shank is worn thin and the setting is rubbed down. It was worn for fifty years after all.Bought in 1945 when I guess there wasn't much money around.
    I think the big thing is not knowing how you will feel in the future!
    I'll go to the jeweller anyhow and see if he says it's worthwhile or not for a start.
    I'd say a design like you describe above may not sit well with a wedding ring.
    But then again, a 'Diana style' one probably wouldn't either (imho).

I have my diamond solitaire bought almost 30 years ago.
    I still love it but sometimes I wear a different ring with my wedding ring.

I would be more worried about paying £4K for a ring that I decided I didn't really like after a few years. :)
  • Artytarty
    Update.
    Well the jeweller said that the needs work as I thought. But he said that the new setting would not look nearly as nice as the old and we would be disappointed. He could just put a new shank on but the ring would not be robust enough for everyday wear a an engagement ring.
    He said a couple of hundred would turn it into a stunning pendant however but to wait until the price of gold is not so high.
    On the plus side, I cashed in an old broken necklace and got a hundred pounds!
    He also quoted a good price for the ring of daughters dreams. £900 less than the ticket price, shows what their mark up must be!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport