50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Comments

• MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    crv, apologies for having seemed to hijack your thread with my troubles lol. Many thanks for your kind wishes - greatly appreciated :). Wise words from your mother :)

Money, thanks also :). I will pm you later on.

MoL - yes there were two other witnesses to the accident. A driver travelling in the opposite direction and a lady out walking her dog. From my understanding, both gave statements to the police. Shortly after the accident, the friend I was visiting took photo's of both vehicles + the skid marks. He also took measurements in the accident location. I do believe the police additionally conducted their own investigations. I received multiple injuries - gash to my scalp and leg (healing well) and quite a nasty fracture to my arm. My friend was told by the fireman (who cut me out of my car) that I was lucky not to have lost my legs - such a terrifying thought. I will never never forget the noise at the moment of impact - it was like a gun going off. Roll on 2019 - had quite enough of 2018 lol
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MrAPJI

Hijack away! It is good to talk and sometimes you can vent or put your thoughts down and reflect in safety, whereas you can't do this as effectively sometimes on a face to face level.

it would be a very boring place if it was only filled with my struggles and rambling!

Glad you weren't more seriously injured. You'll look at your legs in a new light now! I wouldn't advocate taking up 5k running but you'll appreciate walking on them more now, or when they ache (mine do at times) you'll be glad you've got them to ache!

Something like this does bring home how fragile our hold on life actually is.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • APJI, having an additional two witnesses will certainly help your cause.
    Your friend certainly had his wits about him - not sure I would have been so focused on all the details considering the circumstances - but it's a good job he was as I'm sure all the info will come in useful in due course :)

CRV, with respect to Brexit, our family are completely divided, but we're still on speaking terms - well just about. However, with one son living/working in the Netherlands and one in France, it's all been a bit of a headache.

Right, I'm on ''hen duty'' today so had better sign off.
  • Indeed re the accident Apji - it does help with the insurance payout aspect of this re the further witnesses, etc.

But the financial aspect is the least of your concerns after this accident. The main thing is your health obviously and you personally must be feeling rather "shaken and shocked" by such a close call. We all like to feel we are invulnerable and life is under our control - and then Life comes along with a shock like that and it's "What went wrong? How could that have happened to me?"
  • crv1963 wrote: »

Something like this does bring home how fragile our hold on life actually is.

So very true. I think Money's point is very valid - accidents of that nature must be such a shock to the system. The body often heals a great deal quicker than the mind and in my experience that's not always recognised.

As for Brexit - don't get me started :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just having a quick catch up. So sorrry to read all about the car accidents. just horrible. Wish you all speedy recoveries.

Re the busyness quote. Lovely. I have to remind myself to scale back sometimes. I am learning to say "no" more often but I am also learning to say "yes" to the good stuff too, without worrying too much about the finances. (Within reason of course, this is MSE after all). :rotfl:

Well I have chosen all my bathroom stuff, works starts on Saturday. I shall be well out of it, on a train to Southampton to pick up my cruise ship for a jaunt round northern spain, Morocco, Lisbon, Madeira and the Canaries. Might even see a bit of sun......although the Atlantic has been a bit choppy this week and Biscay hAsnt exactly been a mill pond. Luckily I'm usually a good sailor. ;).

At any rate it will be nice to have a break and escape all the building work, hopefully coming home to a nice swanky new bathroom. Tepid showers in a freezing cold bathroom aren't my idea of fun.

Conifers are gone, new fencing up. All looking good. Progress is being made. I think that will be it then till next spring.

It will soon be Time to concentrate on the festive season.
  • crv1963
    So very true. I think Money's point is very valid - accidents of that nature must be such a shock to the system. The body often heals a great deal quicker than the mind and in my experience that's not always recognised.

As for Brexit - don't get me started :)

It does seem that we take longer to recover mentally, I've worked with some amazing people with horrendous "back stories" who have picked themselves up and got on with life albeit sometimes with some support.

Focus on the positive and let go of the things that drag you down/ back. Hard sometimes to see the bigger picture. Luckily for him and us MrAPJI has escaped much worse life threatening injury.

My driving instructor told me - you can drive as well as you can but you can't anticipate the idiots on the road.

Brexit not good from whichever view point one has, it's either too little or too much depending where you stand. We don't need a poison chalice the PM has it firmly in her hands!
  • crv1963
    LL have a great break!
  • Anyone been tempted by those ''Black Friday'' offers?:D. Honestly, when I logged into my email account I found 33 emails offering me allsorts. Logged off feeling like Victor Meldrew lol
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    tbh, I buy little from internet and always delete the unsubscribe button.

I have been waiting for today as L'occitane have 20% off and I have bought the advent calendar to give as a gift to a customer's wife. They put me up every year, unlimited tea and coffee, breakfast, nice home, it's a good deal for me;), and she loves toiletries from all sorts of different makes.

Other than that, nope.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure