FinancialBliss: My mortgage free journey…

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wish I'd known about the concept of paying the mortgage off years ago - before I had debts, it would have been so easy to get it down - a few less taxis etc (which I could easily afford) would easily have meant a couple of grand a year off the debt. Ah well, at least I've found out in time. As you say, FB, less debt gives more choices.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • I’ve been wanting to start one for a good while, but never really made the push / effort. Recently I’ve been a bit down in the dumps about the apparent lack of progress I’ve made this year with the mortgage.

However, I’m finding that thinking about this diary has focussed my mind and I’m actually in a very fortunate situation.

Not many people can manage a mortgage these days without two wages. Plus I’ve bought a car this year with a 12 month loan (we really needed a bigger / family car), and we’ve had two holidays and I’ve managed to make a small dent by way of over payments in the mortgage.

A bit of reflection and I feel much better!

One of the main reasons for a diary was a publicly stated goal. I’ll not be heart broken if I don’t meet this. On the other hand, I hope I won’t have to eat beans on toast via candle light for 5 years either:eek:

Another one was support from like minded people. On that note - have already got a few MFWs that are looking to be mortgage free in same time frame: kaz2904, karmacat (possibly?) and muppet81 – do I add these to my first post or shall we just keep it informal?

Thanks for listening,

FB.
    Mortgage and debt free. Building up savings...
  • So I’ve decided I want to to tackle my mortgage. I’m looking at a three prong strategy:

* Maximise income and minimise outgoings
    * Overpay mortgage
    * Manage existing savings better

* Maximise income and minimise outgoings.
    I try to manage bills monthly via direct debit, unless doing this incurs a penalty.

Maximise income – I’ve just finished an 8 month stint of overtime, but I’m not planning on doing any more for a while, partly because I’ve not been offered any and partly to try and do the work / life balance thing.

Minimise outgoings – I’m sure I could probably do a little better here, but we don’t do that bad. At some point, I’ll probably post a full SOA, but I need to catch up on paperwork and re-do my very out of date budget.

* Overpay mortgage.
    I’ve attempted to analyse various scenarios regarding either overpaying on mortgage or diverting this into savings until the end of 5 years. Didn’t save my calculations – will try and re-do and post here.

* Manage existing savings better.
    We’ve got a small amount of emergency savings, plus some shares. We’ve been diverting the cash into two Lloyds TSB regular saver accounts – I pay tax on mine , but mrs bliss is tax free, so that’s 8% We also got in while the regular saver was a 2 year product, and we’ve just started year 2. Ends October 2008.

Other savings are in an icesave account, paying off the top of my head, 6.30% I think currently.

I’ll give something a try if I think I’ll save money for not too much effort, but finding the time can sometimes be the sticking point.

FB.
  • Got paid yesterday and paid a token 25.00 off the mortgage - extra repayment - suspect that's all I'll be able to afford this month.

Going shopping this morning for shoes for big little 'un - will post a round up for the week later - it's been difficult to find the time this week.

FB.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

Every little helps. ;)Good luck next month:money:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I haven't made any overpayments recently but DH finally managed to get hold of a wii today so that is our christmas shopping done.
    DD wants a nintendo ds for christmas/ birthday so I emptied out her money box and she has £15 my sis will give her £10 and my Aunt has given her £20. Her Grandma is giving her £50 so she has almost got enough to get it.
    I will probably start giving her a load of jobs to do around the house to earn some money as I feel it's a good motivator for her to be able to get this from her own money pooled with other peoples!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Don't talk about consoles! At our local out of town shopping centre, Sony had no less than 12 PS3's set up today with, I'm guessing 50" Hi-def TVs and 4 or 5 reps demoing / pushing the PS3.

Apparently, I "need" the 60Gb version so I can play my PS2 games. Didn't get one, but didn't get any shoes in the end either - #1 had only gone up 1/2 a size and didn't want to pay now and then pay again in a few weeks for another 1/2 size increment.

Kids down - just about to catch up on some TV viewing from earlier in the week. I'll try and post later about events this week.

FB.
  • A bit of a mixed bag here.

Work: It’s 9 years this week since I started with my current employer. I work in IT as a software developer; I never really expected to have stayed this long – took the job in 1998 during the pre year 2000 big rush, and not only got a good pay rise, I got a 10% IT scarcity allowance and various bonuses at points before and after 2000. Thought it would be just a stop gap job, expecting to move on after that, except I got promoted and I’m still there.

Shares: We’ve got Bradford and Bingley and Northern Rock shares – both conversion windfall freebies. Earlier in the year I switched from receiving a cash dividend to shares for both of the above, hoping that longer term they would be worth more than the cash. We’ve now got an additional 10 BB shares – total holding: 524.

We also got a letter from Northern Rock explaining about recent events and that various parties are interested in the company but it was early days. Nothing that I wasn’t already aware of, but it was a nice gesture, since the share holders are pretty much bottom in the pecking order after savers, creditors, etc. Total holding 1,000

Credit cards: Until this week had 3. Had a nationwide card which we haven’t used in a while and got a letter this week saying they’d closed the account. My main card is a Goldfish card. Had this about 10 years and like this for the loyalty scheme. Live within walking distance of a cineworld. Just redeemed some promotional points for 4 cinema tickets.

Other CC is an Asda card. Main use for this card is the 2p reduction on petrol offer, although it’s had a hammering this month as mrs bliss needed a replacement goldfish card – her chip was damaged – over use perhaps?:rotfl:

Always pay cards off in full and normally I’m up to date in Microsoft Money, but I’ve got a bit behind with keying them into money. Need to get a bit organised here, plus re-discover my desk.

Monthly savers: Just completed the first of a 2 year Lloyds TSB monthly saver. Got 137 and 170 (taxed and exempt) in interest. When the 2 years are up, I’ll probably throw the interest at the mortgage and look at something else to do with the capital. This is our emergency savings.

Swimming: Well not so much swimming but water confidence. The blisslings go to to a water confidence class and found out this week that it’s going up by 25%. Ok, only from 2.00 to 2.50 each, but when you say 25% it sounds a lot. Hope I’ not sounding mean here - I really don’t mind paying this at all.
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good to hear how you're getting on....Good Luck:money::T
  • Paid another 25.00 off the mortgage today – electronic transfer into mortgage account. Reason? We’ve received 485.50 in interest from our icesave account.

Why only 25.00 and not more? Well back in January, think January sales, mrs bliss was passing work in the car (then corsa) with a pram taking up the entire boot, two child seats with growing children and shopping spread all around on car floor. Got into car as it was lunch for a quick chat. Was totally amazed by how little space there was.

We’d previously discussed buying a family car, but I’d been in denial about needing a new one. After a quick look around, we got a nearly new Almera Tino (MPV class, but with 5 seats rather than 7) towards the end of January. Financed this with a 6k car loan over 12 months. Hindsight being an exact science, I soooo wish I’d cashed in 500 NRK shares – around the 12.00 mark at the time. Never mind!

Car loan is 515 per month – second biggest bill after the mortgage – due tomorrow and only 3 more left: November, December and January. :j

I’d budgeted over 12 months as this gave the least interest charged, and enabled us to pick up on our mortgage free quest quickly, rather than paying car over 2 or 3 years.

That would have been fine except a month or so later we found out that the car had been in a shunt / accident before we purchased it. Neither us nor dealer were aware of this.

Went through lots of hoops with dealer, head office, trading standards and the only option was to work with dealer towards a solution – they offered a like for like replacement. In the end we opted for a diesel replacement, best of the options presented – we got this on 1st October. However as the car was a better spec than the one we bought, we had to pay a supplement. So, we’ve now got a 2.2 diesel rather than a 1.8 petrol, but it also cost us 1,250. Was never expecting to pay this supplement, but over time should even out - car should hold value a bit better, plus should get better mpg.

So, I’ve got an unexpected additional amount on the credit card, which will need repaying next month, hence the token amount again from the savings interest rather than the full amount.

I’m currently paying 597 for the mortgage (more about that later). So, come January, the existing 597 plus 515 from car isn’t too short from my budgeted 1,250 a month on the mortgage – see post #2.

FB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure