'What should I ask George Osborne? Question suggestions wanted.' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• PoppaSmurf
    Options
    Will he confirm that a married couples tax allowance will be put in place.

I earn c£75,000 and my wife earns nothing as a stay at home mum looking after our little lad (bless her- she has the more challenging job).

Friends of ours earn less than £60,000 between them contribute significantly less tax and have a far higher take home pay.

Surely a new Government (fingers crossed) need to right this obvious wrong
  • welovewalking
    Options
    Please ask him what he will do to encourage large businesses eg Unilever to stay in Britain as the tax system has become so onerous.
  • rusty81
    Options
    1. Council Tax should be payable over 12 months instead of 10.
    2. Combine a married couples tax allowance.
    3. Scrap child tax credits and child benefit, if necessary increase benefit payments though job seekers allowance.
    4. Scrap TV licence, include it in income tax
    5. Scrap car tax, include it in fuel duty
  • desmo_s
    Options
    Hi Martin.

It was reported recently that Benefit fraud costs the taxpayer £1bn per year. Yet there are still non-fraud examples of where people can legally claim 10's of £thousands in benefits each year due to poor benefit legislation. My question would be how they would intend to reform the benefit laws to target those most at need and not to reward those 'hard working families' who in reality don't work hard as there is no incentive to work.
  • maryginger
    Options
    In 2012 the amount of years for a Full Pension changes, Why will I not be able to get a full pension instead of 83% because of paying the 4p stamp for 5 years? I have worked all my life, I am now 65 in April. Even the pay rise each year is old 83%. By doing each pay rise by percent the gap is getting bigger!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jackie_fox wrote: »
    Would he consider reducing vat & taxes on "locally produced beer & cider supplied and dispensed by the pint in a public house".

This small measure would boost the economy, keeping deliveries local, creating jobs and might just save our national institution - THE PUB - from certain extinction. The social value of keeping pubs alive is underestimated - providing contact for some who would otherwise not see or talk to another living sole for days on end. If lonely people had somewhere affordable to go it could save a lot on NHS 'happy pills' and lower the increasing suicide rate in young men.

One simple idea creating a whirlpool of opportunity!

Martin, can you ask that one for me as well? Cheers!
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • tony_in_elmstead
    Options
    As the economy is as dire as we all realise the next government will have to apply fairly painful taxes or reductions in services ( even allowing for all
    the savings which you reckon you will be able to make). That being so, why should the Conservatives wish to win the next Gen.Election and be marked down as a bogey party which applied painful solutions and effectively lowered our living standards. They will as a result surely then be voted out on the next occassion and cast again into the wilderness for years and probably years to come.

How will you prevent that from occurring if you are forming the next government?!! We may recognise what the country needs but these days human nature is such that many, probably the majority, think first of themselves and in many cases only of themselves.
  • nicolahk
    Options
    When is he going to abolish prescription charges for England (like the Welsh), or at least redice the charge in line with the Scottish and Irish? How can he justify charging the English more than double??
  • mo1_2
    mo1_2 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    you should ask him how hw thinks it morally right when we are buying his second home,and he still takes the mick with his expences,or can millionaires do what they want
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions folk

My aim isn't to have a go at politicians - there are others far better at it - its simply to ask policy questions that hopefully will get us a good answer or give food for throught.

Those above that fit into that camp - i will try and ask in my alloted time.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport