i need a new router, maybe a modem router ?

hi folks
I need a new router and thinking about going back to a combined modem router
had an asus rt-ac68u only lasted for 18months, got asus rt-ac86u to replace it but it keeps turning itself off (sending that back)
on BT dsl so using HH6 at monment, but want something I can change the DNS on and add a router VPN which can be setup to work with indivisual lappy's on the different LAN lines, (I can do it on asus with merlin bios)
any suggestions, I expect I'll need to use custom firmware to allow VPN on indivisual items on the different LAN's (instant of the whole LAN)

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Might be hard pushed to do VPNs on a per device basis on a cheaper router but most of them should allow custom DNS (and if not, you can set it on each individual device anyway).

Unfortunately features like these you have to pay for them in the firmware. This might be worth a look if you have a supported device:
    https://openwrt.org/
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I like the features on asus merlin firmware, but just don't trust asus after having these 2,
    I've got a separate modem (draytec 130) so could go with a router, was hoping to get something for £150, but really want that merlin feature of having any indivisaul pc/lappy/etc on a LAN being on the VPN
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you have not already sent that Asus RT-AC86U back, then it is worth checking you don't have the scheduled reboot option set. That has a documented bug, apparently fixed in the latest Asus firmware, which leaves the router powered down.

Other bugs exist in the 86u; annoyingly for me SNMP is broken, and rumours continue about the radio reliability. But... on the plus side, it does have the cpu grunt for decent VPN throughput.
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    been using the BT HH6 this week, put on the Asus 86u with latest asus firmware, keeps turning off before its got the internet started.
    had both asus & merlin firmware on it over last few weeks (yes like the extra control that merlin gives) but not happy with the performance with either firmware
    looks like its down to loading VPN on to laptops and getting a netgear router or modem router with stock firmware (I've been happy with the netgear modem routers in the past)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure