Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Options

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're flying Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas. Do we have to pay the checked on baggage fee from LA to Vegas? A bit surprised that they appear to charge for checked in baggage on internal flights.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    parkrunner wrote: »
    We're flying Virgin to LA and then Delta to Vegas. Do we have to pay the checked on baggage fee from LA to Vegas? A bit surprised that they appear to charge for checked in baggage on internal flights.

Depends what ticket(s) you have bought!

If you bought one ticket from LHR -> LAS (via LAX) then you'd more likely than not have baggage if you didn't choose a hand baggage only fare (Economy Light). You can check this on your ticket or by logging into the booking on the Virgin website.

If you've bought them as separate tickets, check your baggage allowance allocated on your ticket as it'll depend if you've paid for hand-baggage only fare or not! If you booked via an agency rather than direct I'd guess that it wouldn't come with baggage.

Hand-Baggage only fares are fast becoming the norm now unfortunately, even with long-haul!
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    luci wrote: »
    Has anyone used the app Anyride for comparing Uber and Lyft prices in Vegas? Not sure whether to risk using it or just compare manually.

Any thoughts?

Also, where is the best place to get promo codes as an existing user?

I've never seen any codes for existing users.

I use an app called FairRide to compare, think you might have to be in the US to download it.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    I've never seen any codes for existing users.

I use an app called FairRide to compare, think you might have to be in the US to download it.
    Thanks.

I have the option of putting the apps on the OH's phone as a new user so may do that instead.
  • kroberts
    kroberts Posts: 260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just booked our next trip for April next year. Doing a few things differently this time which makes me a little nervous but should still be good.
    1. We normally go in the summer when it's hot (July/August) so aiming to do some other things this time that we wouldn't normally like walking!

2. Also we usually fly with Virgin but BA flight prices were too good this time so first time flying BA. Just under £2000 for 2 adults, 2 children flying into LA to spend a few days there first and then driving to Vegas for 6 nights, fly back from there. Includes Car hire in that price too.

3. Our usual go to hotel is Vdara but have stayed in others. This time we are at Excalibur as had comped nights on mlife. Costing around $100.00 for strip view room as it charges for the Fri & Sat nights (staying 6 nights total). Not stayed before so not sure what to expect.

Looking forward to it already.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Booked at last for late August last night! :)

Flights with BA and a car added on. Couldn't use our Avios, but next cheapest option of booking with BA and a car separate would have made our £200 worth of Avios only worth £90 if that makes sense (would have cost more for the car to book separately). So we kept the Avios for another time!

So far have booked flights and car, 14 nights to Los Angeles. Will probably spend 2 nights in Los Angeles, maybe one night in Palm Springs (opinions on this??), and then onto Vegas for 10 nights. Then last night back in Los Angeles (maybe at the Westin Long Beach where we stayed before as I can get this for $110 on Priceline.

For Los Angeles, not quite sure. We land at 19:20 so might just stay near the airport. We'll be using the car to get around so doesn't need to be central. We stayed at Culver City last time and might do this again as the mall is handy for dinner and a wander.

This is the latest we've ever booked with the exception of the first time we went as we booked about 4 weeks ahead and took a cheap package from Manchester.
  • stoneman
    Options
    luci wrote: »
    Thanks.

I have the option of putting the apps on the OH's phone as a new user so may do that instead.
    Well if he uses your referral code then you will both get some free rides
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • stoneman
    Options
    Booked at last for late August last night! :)

Flights with BA and a car added on. Couldn't use our Avios, but next cheapest option of booking with BA and a car separate would have made our £200 worth of Avios only worth £90 if that makes sense (would have cost more for the car to book separately). So we kept the Avios for another time!

So far have booked flights and car, 14 nights to Los Angeles. Will probably spend 2 nights in Los Angeles, maybe one night in Palm Springs (opinions on this??), and then onto Vegas for 10 nights. Then last night back in Los Angeles (maybe at the Westin Long Beach where we stayed before as I can get this for $110 on Priceline.

For Los Angeles, not quite sure. We land at 19:20 so might just stay near the airport. We'll be using the car to get around so doesn't need to be central. We stayed at Culver City last time and might do this again as the mall is handy for dinner and a wander.

This is the latest we've ever booked with the exception of the first time we went as we booked about 4 weeks ahead and took a cheap package from Manchester.
    How about using Avios for Vegas hotels. Platinum is 17K Avios a night but there are other options as well. We get more value out of using ours for hotels these days than flights.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2019 at 12:07AM
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    How about using Avios for Vegas hotels. Platinum is 17K Avios a night but there are other options as well. We get more value out of using ours for hotels these days than flights.

Interesting...

Not staying at Platinum, but have been looking at a few nights at Red Rock. We don't have many Avios but have enough for 2 nights. Would prefer 3 nights there, but fair enough as I could probably add a night. Rate I'm seeing on Priceline is $103 plus taxes. Our points appear to be worth £200 off flights. So that might be a reasonable way to use them.

I had looked up LA hotels, but the points would only buy one night out there, but rates are much higher there. Will keep this in mind - thanks.

Our other option to use them is travelling to a wedding in London later in September.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Small update:
    Got to LV on 24th... Didnt get to sit in the sun until the 29th, and that wasnt for long, same for the 30th.......
    It was only yesterday and today, we have had proper hot sun......
    Last week, the temps were as low as 17c, with some rain drops on the evening..... was seriously cold with the wind! UNREAL given the time of year!

Slots = WASTE OF TIME!
    I do max bet on the slots (ranging from $5 to $8.88).
    Where as last year, i had some wins that ranged from 20/1 to 150/1 odds ($6 on willy wonka = wins upto $800), its almost like all the slots i am playing on at Max Bet just said the money, and when i do hit the bonus feature, its a joke!!

Willy wonka = bnous feature/oompa lumpa win from $6 = $90 average
    the $8.88 machines = $112 biggest win from the features
    lock it Link = $160 biggest win (from $5)
    Buffalo = machines just take my money and offer no wins, the$6 and £3.75 machines....

However, i see other players and myself a few times, winning good when reducing the bets to $1 - $3 !
    Its like the slots are toned down for the Max Bet's :(
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ellis Island Ribs = Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm !! $18.99 for a full rack, and they are amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!!! :D

Hire cars = Dodge Challenger R/T x2 and a Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi :D loving the 9 - 12mpg !

Caesars Palace (1st time comp and stay with that group, had julius room booked for comp, got upgraded to the premuim palace tower room, has his & hers bathrooms) , real nice room, and liking the swim up blackjack in the pool !

We at Bellagio now, never staying here again (trip report coming soon)..... got 3 nights left, i need to win some $$$ and not put it all back into the slots!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure