Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 24th May 19, 5:06 AM
    • 3,536Posts
    • 49,222Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 24th May 2019
    • 24th May 19, 5:06 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 24th May 2019 24th May 19 at 5:06 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 24th May 2019

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Bright sunshine here again this morning. I'll put a small wash load in the WM if there's enough - yesterday I got 4 loads washed and line dried - weather doesn't look so good Sunday and Monday here so will try to keep up to date before then.

Dinner last night was beef stew and dumplings, mash, carrots, broc and green beans - lovely it was and a portion in the freezer. Tonight will be something easy.

Yesterday I was quite productive, I got the housework done, washing and drying, got parcel wrapped and sent, visited the SM, visited farm shop and bought half sack of potatoes, sorted the paperwork on my pc desk, shredded what I needed - hoping I'll stay motivated enough today to empty the desk, sort and there's also a large pile of paperwork on the filing cabinet that needs sorting/shredding/filing.

DH and DS1 getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying first cuppa and my porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 24-05-2019 at 5:27 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 24th May 19, 5:56 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 37,398 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 24th May 19, 5:56 AM
    • 24th May 19, 5:56 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Blue sky and sun again for us too. All change from Sunday.

A rubbish night. I couldn't get to sleep and when I finally nodded off I couldn't stay asleep. I feel washed out this morning. The girls are to get up shortly, feed and water ready for school. Then I have the dubious pleasure of the Friday Tidy. It will be a half hearted job and then hopefully a nana nap this afternoon to catch up on a bit of sleep.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely who need them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 24th May 19, 5:58 AM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 100,498 Thanks
    redruby
    • 24th May 19, 5:58 AM
    • 24th May 19, 5:58 AM
    Morning all

Its another lovely day here we have been very lucky this week its been beautiful the weekend is meant to be nice as well.

Off to work today and its Friday no wine in the fridge today as I am off wine due to the calories but I may have a small gin later instead

Going to make some danish pastry type things this morning and maybe some savory ones, the clients at work will love them.

Not sure about dinner tonight, I will go and rummage in the freezer after this, there is some chicken breast, or pork chops in there and some fish so lots to choose from.

My Friday tidier will be here today so all done by the time I get in tonight so will just have washing to do.

Have good days all xx
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 24th May 19, 6:16 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    snoozer
    • 24th May 19, 6:16 AM
    • 24th May 19, 6:16 AM
    I'm up early because I want to take Ziggy out before it gets too hot. Then I want to deep clean the shower room and scrub the kitchen floor, although that might get left it it's too hot.

Steve wants to go and pick up his new golf clubs which I've told him he can have for an anniversary present (ruby, not till August). He's been having lessons and been told he needs longer clubs which is no real surprise.

I have almost finished Crystal's sister's baby quilt so I will make a push on that. She had the baby last Saturday, early on her daughter's second birthday, She's called him Hadrian - apparently the other choice was Horatio so I'm quite gad she went with Hadrian. I don't think her husband had any input as they split up several months ago and aren't on good terms.

Have a good day all.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 24th May 19, 7:06 AM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 52,258 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 24th May 19, 7:06 AM
    • 24th May 19, 7:06 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

We've moored in the marina for the weekend as we are going away. Beano is worried at the activity but I can't explain that he is coming too.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 24th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    mehefin
    • 24th May 19, 7:16 AM
    • 24th May 19, 7:16 AM
    Morning all from mehefinland
    Haven't posted for a while but been lurking. Been a bit of a rollercoaster in mehefinland recently. Bruisemare's abscess finally burst ou and is draining but she has one in the other hoof too which is about two weeks behind timewise. She is still not a happy girl and neither am I as she managed to wreck my back when trying to poultice her last Saturday. Not really her fault ( or mine) just circumstances. Just jiggled when I was putting the bandage on and I got her full weight on me, I wasn't quite in the right position and felt a jolt. By the time we had finished and got home I was in agony and could hardly move. Much taking of painkillers and a complete rejig in the family routine later I can now move about a bit although getting out of a chair can result in a few choice words like "blow" and "dash". Mrs M has been doing the feeding etc, and DS walks Sallylabrador before work.

Getting there as they say, but slowly.

That's about of the tale of woe at the moment. Lots more going on with DS which I wont bore you with atm.
    Hugs and spoons to those in need
    Mehefi
    • Gers
    • By Gers 24th May 19, 7:40 AM
    • 7,714 Posts
    • 52,642 Thanks
    Gers
    • 24th May 19, 7:40 AM
    • 24th May 19, 7:40 AM
    Morning all.

Sunny and bright here, a day for going out.

This morning I’m returning a Zimmer to the hospital (don’t need two) and handing in ‘thank you’ cards for the staff. DM spent a total of seven hours in the living room yesterday (two different spells) and was very tired after it. She’s moving up and down the long hall fairly well albeit slowly. Still not eating very much though.

There’s plenty of food in the fridge and my lovely cousin sent a parcel of chocolate from Germany.

Hugs all round - happy Friday to everyone.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 24th May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 15,230 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 24th May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 24th May 19, 8:05 AM
    .Morning all Coffee in bed and just browsing on here. Today's plan is to pick up dgs after he has his chest x ray and bring him back for a hair cut. Then over to Specsavers to ger one of his nose pads on his specs adjusted. Then back to his house . Mummy will be back from work at 3.15 Lunch and possibly a trip to the City Farm will occur in between. Possibly borh together lol. All on the bus.

TA sorry you had a rubbish sleep. Hope you catch up. Gets sending eating vibes to Mum.

Well hugs to all and enjoy the sunshine if you have it.

Jane
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 24th May 19, 8:08 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 28,839 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 24th May 19, 8:08 AM
    • 24th May 19, 8:08 AM
    Morning everyone and thank you for today's thread nmlc.

Mehefin, sorry to hear of your poor back.

It is my birthday today, I'm 68. I shan't celebrate as my mother died yesterday. She had a heart attack.

It has been a shock but not entirely unexpected. She was 90.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • -taff
    • By -taff 24th May 19, 8:24 AM
    • 10,520 Posts
    • 14,779 Thanks
    -taff
    Morning all! All boxes ticked from yesterday, todays delights prior to the Queens visit is tip run, hoover and wash floors in kitchen, lean to and downstairs bathroom. Quick shop for victuals, and then let the bombardment begin. Father not too well at the moment, tablets and injections conspiring to rob him of appetite and taste buds so he's teetering on the edge of collapse half the time. Will tey to tempt him with fancies when he's here. Sister doing a sterling job of caring for him.

AOD, so sorry to hear that, even unexpected, still a shock..a very quiet happy birthday...TA, hope you get some sleep. HH, happy moving. mehefin, commiserations on the bad back and light swearage [probably a bit heavier than gosh and darn though eh?] SO, hope you're doing well. Gers, good news she's keeping up with moving. Well done on the super-carer mode

Wotcha missings
    Forlorn Friday....
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 24th May 19, 10:32 AM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 37,398 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Popping back mid coffee (well actually liquorice tea) break to send condolences to AOD. Not a very happy birthday for you is it. I'm so very sorry.

DGD well on her way now for her week in Lourdes. DD WhatsApped me lots of photos of her departure in her bright yellow sweatshirt, along with her friends and the rest of the group of helpers also in their yellow sweatshirts. I hope she finds it an experience she will never forget. There will be lots of sad and also happy memories for her to look back on I'm sure.

Well back to the cleaning, just the bathroom left. Why do I always leave that job till last, I should do it first and get it over and done with.

Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 24th May 19, 11:30 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    snoozer
    AOD I'm so sorry for your loss.

Well I wish I hadn't been in such a hurry to take Ziggy out. We were at a popular walking spot when she decided to dart across a road that runs through it. It's a very quiet road but a car was coming and hit her. She seems to be ok, we took her to be checked out by the vet and she has a very small cut on the back of her neck. Obviously we have to keep an eye on her but we've been very lucky. The bloke who was driving jumped out to see if she was ok but forgot to put his handbrake on and his car rolled back down the hill, I hope it wasn't too damaged.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th May 19, 12:54 PM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 48,562 Thanks
    Nelski
    Afternoon peeps

Really sad to read your news AOD 90 is a good age but however old she was your mum and I'm sure you will miss her. I'll follow OLs lead and whisper happy birthday too.

snoozer poor ziggy long lead from now on I guess and a shock for the poor driver. Suggest a nice chilled weekend now

Mehefin ouch for both of you Suggest a nice chilled weekend now (mmm a bit of a theme forming here )

TA doing the rubbish sleep think too and making the mistake of looking at my watch for hours asleep which is even worse than I thought. Seem to be averaging 4 hrs atm and thats just not enough. We need our nanny back to send out the sandman Suggest nice chilled weekend

taff me little welshcake have a great but chilled weekend and hope dad feels better

Now the question is as to whether this will post as this is the third time for an attempted post this week on trains and every one I have hit a tunnel just as I press send We shall see or if it stays as my own personal ramblings. Really want to bake AOD a special cake as is our want on here but doesnt seem right. Maybe a cake fest on a day of your choice AOD

So as I alluded too I have spent lots of time on trains this week in fact have pretty much done the length and breadth of the UK or so it feels. Today I am on the way back from Bournemouth after a half day course this morning and at 5 hrs for the journey its far longer than the time in the training room.....crazy but hey they are paying

Cant wait for a chilled weekend myself and hopefully some nice peaceful garden time with neighbours on holiday. Going to work on the tan if possible.

Food plans zero atm as not sure what time Ill land bach but still plenty in the freezer.

Right I will try copying this before I send as we are currently going through tunnel central Hey ho hope everyone has a nice chilled weekend and with the approaching wine trolley on its way I plan to start mine very soon (sorry rubes but do enjoy your gin )
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 13,047 Posts
    • 48,562 Thanks
    Nelski
    it worked.... 3-1 to virgin this week then
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 24th May 19, 1:49 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 12,705 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Sending you my condolences AOD

We had my Mum's funeral Tuesday and it would have been her 103rd birthday today.
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 24-05-2019 at 4:01 PM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th May 19, 2:30 PM
    • 16,927 Posts
    • 144,929 Thanks
    JackieO
    AOD my condolences on your loss , I hope you have a peaceful day with lots of good memories to help you .

Well chums its been quite a week, last Saturday night as I went to get my washing off the line I tripped over and landed head first in the shrubbery (no laughing at the back please) apart from bashing my arm and elbow and severely bruising my dignity I was OK .my dear little neighbour bless her heard me yell and cleared the fence in an amazing feat(she should be in the olympics ) Managed to extradite me from the bushes and got me indoors and made me a cuppa (best medicine there is ) and stuck cold compresses on my bruises.She was actually happy as she had only finished her first aid course the day before so I was her first patient

Then on Sunday I drove very carefully (bit stiff and black and blue ) to Hertfordshire and picked up my DGS Jack from Uni as he is finished now until the Autumn Got him back to his Mums and she had made a light lunch for us all.I bit into a piece on stone baked bread (I don't normally eat bread at all ) and promptly broke one of my crowns off Huge gap in the bottom at the front and I wasn't best pleased.The boys thought it was a hoot and said I should audition for Jeremy Kyle grr...
    Managed to get an emergency appointment on Monday and he looked at it and said hmm best I can do is drill through the middle of the base and put a peg in it and build you a tooth around it so I had to return on Tuesday mid-morning to have that done. Not the best hour and a half in my week.But first thing on Tuesday morning I had to see the blood pressure nurse again for a follow up appointment and she is still not happy with my BP so I have to go for even more blooming tests and poking and prodding at the beginning of next month. Seems my old ticker isn't ticking as well as it should .Perhaps my clock is slowing down , but as its been going for a good few years its hardly surprising Oh well I suppose she means well.

DGS Henry did his A level finance exam this morning and he said he found it Ok and not too difficult which is good Being exam time in the lovely weather is tough for youngsters Now he has broken up for half term and when he goes back on 3rd June he has two more A levels to do, shame really as its also his 18th birthday so we will be celebrating in the evening .Next Saturday it's DGS Mikey's 15th birthday all blooming birthdays at the moment, as DGD Holly's fiancee's birthday is on the 4th.
    Her and her B/F have put an offer in on a nice house so we have our fingers crossed it all goes through OK ,there is no chain and its empty and the vendors are leaving all the white good as the vendors Mum has gone into a home .So apart from a bit of decorating its in pretty good condition.They get married next May and they already have paid for the venue etc and my eldest DD bought her dress as a wedding present and its beautiful.

I just don't know where this week has got to ,12 weeks tomorrow and we are off to our beloved IoW for a fortnight's break.

The weather is glorious at the moment in Kent and I hope anyone who is away in the UK is getting nice weather as well.

Right well enough of my nattering, the dishwasher has finished so I shall unload it for DD and make DGS a cold drink The dogs are sitting on the decking in the shade and I think I may join them Hope everyone has a good weekend

Take care all

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 24th May 19, 5:42 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 49,961 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Just lost a long post (grrrr) so will just send my condolences to AOD and special hugs to SO.

Love to all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • redruby
    • By redruby 24th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 100,498 Thanks
    redruby
    AOD I am so sorry about your dear mum sending you a big hug, and also another Happy Birthday xx although im sure you dont feel like celebrating x

SO How are you ? have you seen your ds at all ?

Mehefin ouch I hope your back is better soon xx

Nels, I would LOOOOOVVVVEEEE a glass of wine but must be good !

JackieO you take it easy xx

Snoozer im glad Ziggy pup is ok xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 24th May 19, 7:12 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 54,900 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So sorry AOD, hugs to you.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 24th May 19, 8:48 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 6,108 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Sorry for loss AOD
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,202Posts Today

6,094Users online

Martin's Twitter