I am not trying hard....

Comments

• Toto wrote: »
    Well done you :T

I've paid off my debt but i still overspend. The other week I got so fed up with my random online spending I stuck a bit of electrical tape to the top of my laptop and wrote on it 'I DON'T BLOODY NEED IT' :) seems to be working so far :rotfl:

:T :T :T :T well done! I will do the same!
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • ~evanesco~ wrote: »
    I'm another one who doesn't really try either. We booked a weeks holiday in August, £1,600, that could have gone off our debts. Not trying is it? I too will fully focus, once the holiday's paid off that is.

Well that's exactly what I have done. But now there's no point in looking back, let's just not do it again!!!!:j
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
  • hypno06 wrote: »
    What a lovely honest post, Del....good for you.

Now that you have this new motivation, you KNOW you can do this.

But I will put my Mummy hat on and just say "look after yourself along the way"......no being silly now in your attempts to get debt free sooner. I want you happy and healthy along with your debt free-ness xxxxx

(sorry, don't want to come across a nag, but you know what I mean ;) )

:o thank you. I will do. I am not going to overdo it like I did last year - it ended me in the hospital & with bigger debt.
  • maz1964 wrote: »
    Wow, you have actually spoken from the heart, i really felt what you said and yes, its scary when you first start reading the posts andmoving around the site and seeing others problems, but all can be overcome, even my own, and i promise to set up my soa this week, as ive been feeling down about the debt i know there are wonderful people on here that can offer guidance and help.

Im really going to sit down and write down everything we owe and get it listed on the board here and then i know i will get good advice. Ive already learnt so much but am willing to learn even more as knowledge is power, so my grand dad used to tell me.

So you have truely inspired me to take action and not mull about what to do first and next etc .

My mortgage arrears are urgent but overall help is what i need to address too.

Off to bed now docs appointment tomorrow but will work on my soa and get it posted as soon as possible. If nothing else i do this for us then it will begin to help us focus on what we need to do.

Have a fun rest of the week and keep happy

Ciao MAZ

Thank you MAZ, and thanks to everyone who said nice and kind words. :o

Apologies if I cant reply to everyone!

MAZ, please DO post your SOA, you have no idea how much these guys can help you with that, instant saving of HUNDREDS of pounds!

And let us know how you get on :) x
  • Wildchild wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean. I am just the same and I know what I should be doing but I just can't! Very frustrating.

Am now married since last weekend and I am hoping this will push me to finally taking responsibility for myself and my actions.

So maybe we could use this thread to keep each other motivated and remind each other to stay on track.

Yes let's do that :j and congratulations on being married!! is the OH very responsible financially? ;)
  • Well, I've been trying to post something like this for weeks - and I could never have put it better than you.

What a truly excellent post. Like you, my debt bothers me in that I should never have got into debt (purely through living the lifestyle I want rather than earn) and, because I can easily get credit (and therefore have had 0% for years) and pay off the minimum I do. I cannot get my head around making savings of a few pounds here and there because it seems to make no difference. I then come on here and see the people who have real difficulties and only have a desire to help them - and feel silly if I posted my procrastinating way of dealing with my debt.

Great post! Perhaps we should start a supporter's thread for those of us in a similar position - I just need a real kick I think.

Thank you :) Let's do that. It's scary how many people get into debt just because of their lifestyle. Because if someone has unfortunate circumstances, loss of job, etc, that I can understand, but many people are just silly like me and think that it's just so easy to hand over that plastic, and the shiny new thing is yours...

I need to remind myself every time I use the card, that I am borroing money. Actually asking the bank for money! For me it now helps if I imagine asking a FRIEND for that money, not the bank - how embarrassed would I feel? Would they give or would they not give? The fact that the bank automatically gives, as it's pre-approved with credit cards, it does not mean it is not BORROWING!!!

Good luck!
  • floss2 wrote: »
    Deliciosa, I think you've helped rather a lot of people with that post.

However, having become debt-free through hard work, an inheritance from my mum and a bank charge refund, I would suggest that you give yourself a "treats" budget of however much you think is reasonable each month - whether it be for a DVD / bottle of nice wine / cheap night in with girlie mates etc.

The road to becoming debt-free can become very disheartening and downright dull - which may cause you to regress into spending on the very cards you're trying to pay off.

Good luck, and I know how you feel - a chunk of my debt was of my own making too, it wasn't all down to my ex-husband.

Floss xx

Thanks Floss, I will follow your advice and won't over-do it. And I won't get disheartened about it, and if I do I come here and I expect all of you to remind me of this post!! I am looking forward to the day when I receive my salary and that money will be finally MINE. And not "outstanding" with this or that bank. Just mine. :o
  • I totally relate to that, I have been coasting too. Up until last September, was still using one of my credit cards for day to day bits and bobs, and still buying lunch every day because I was too lazy to make it, and still getting pulled into doing things that cost money with friends instead of being firm and saying no!

Then last October I realised it couldn't go on, and I had to stamp it out asap. Am now keeping a proper spending diary every day. My debt was £7244 at my LBM in March 06, and end of last September it was just over £5000 as I recall. So even if it was bang on that, it meant I'd only paid off £2244 in 18 months. As of today my debt is 2994 so in the 5 months I've paid off £2006, almost as much in 6 months as in three times that amount of time before that! Yes I now earn slightly more, but by just being a bit more frugal I can still go out and about and make a big dent in it. I want the last 2000 paid off in the next three months, and after that will try not to kick myself too much that all of this could have been gone 12 months ago! You're not alone anyway!

Well done for paying off so much!!! I am sure that you will be able to pay it off as you plan, it's now so little, especially compared to what you had in March 06!! Thanks for coming in and sharing this with me. We all sometimes need reminding where we haven't done well (just as reminding as to where we have!) so that we can learn from it. Wow £2000 in three months, it's a big challenge.

And do not kick yourself that you haven't done it earlier. what I have just realised, that after all, I HAVE enjoyed the things I have spent on. I have enjoyed the holiday, I have enjoyed the meals out, even though it was silly, it cost me more in interest than I ever imagined - it's not gone to waste. You learned from your mistake and that's what's important, now start the countdown and make sure you will announce your debt free-ness in three month's time:):T
  • Hi Sassers

Thank you for writing this down, it's all awful, and I hope the operation will go well! Let us know how you get on!
    Maybe you shouldn’t think about getting a second work if your debt is manageable… also you might be entitled to benefits?
    I am sure you will get through this (well done for tackling it, even tho you are dyslexic…). We are here to help! We just need reminding, I guess, what we are doing this for. For the good night's sleeps, for the extra money we will NOT pay out in interests, for our own dignity and peace of mind. You are not doing it for the banks or for the creditors, for me, for Martin or for anyone else, you are doing it for YOU!. When I lost motivation, I now have a look at my monthly interest payment, and I imagine what I wil do with that extra money. It's around £72 a month right now, just in interest!!!
    Please take care of yourself. And good luck with your action plan!!! And I don't take what you said as preaching, you are completely right, and I NEED to hear this from you, from myself, so that I don't do it again!! And it's a really good idea when you say satisfying yourself with cheaper alternatives. I will actually make a plan for this. How can you satisfy yourself with movies, without buying a dvd? (I don’t have a tv…).
    Have a lovely day!!! X x
  • This is an awesome thread.

I've gotten into my debt through just childish want for crap :mad: - a lot of which I've now sold or have listed to sell (which is a step in the right direction, right?).

I'm hard at it now - I was away last weekend, but I'd budgeted for it (24hours on a coach, but that meant less than £20 to get from Glasgow to Brighton and back...) and I really enjoyed it. I didn't spend any more than I'd budgetted - and in fact am 3 days into my next week and haven't had to withdraw any of this week's budget yet :D . But it's hard, and I have a big ball of but I wanna going on; I just have to try and keep in mind that I wanna be debt free with some proper savings behind me and I wanna not to have a sinking feeling if something comes up with the house that needs paying far more than I want that DVD/CD/packet of fattening crisps.

I'd be well up for a support thread :D
    LBM 21/11/07 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. Nerd Number 872 DFD ~07/2009 Stats at payday feb08: overdraft ; Gone CC1: £1,519.63 CC2: £402.15
    £2 Savers club: £6 so far Living Ebay(& Amazon) Neutral in 2008: £43.07 so far "I do not NEED that DVD" Tough Love Club member #4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure