PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rayburn Cooking

Spirit_2
Spirit_2 Posts: 5,546 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 16 November 2018 at 12:13AM in Old style MoneySaving
Are there any old stylers who cook using Rayburns?

I have an oil fuelled Alpha range that has an intermittent cooker fault. As Alpha no longer exist getting spares is difficult and there is an aging and diminishing service engineering resource, so we have decided to get a Rayburn. We need both the heating and cooking functions.

Alphas have huge ovens, 56 litrs compared to a much smaller Rayburn 47 litres . The Alpha easily takes a 15lb Turkey.

What size Turkey can you fit in a Rayburn?
Anything else I need to know about Rayburn cooking?

Our replacement will be here in 4 weeks if we order quickly so this is relevant to our Christmas lunch this year.

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• Spirit_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anybody? Please
  • Sorry Spirit - I don't have a Rayburn, although I've longed to have one for years. Because of that, I have a few Rayburn cookery books but I don't think they mention oven dimensions or whatever. (I packed the books away but I can try to find them if you like, and see if I can find a clue. . ..?)
  • If you look on the AGA/Rayburn owner forum (aga central), they mention 16 - 18lb as being the biggest size that'll fit. And of course, it does depend on the actual 'build' of said poultry - some are quite flattened and some seem very arched in shape. Other forums talk a lot about 16lb birds.

(Although some must have the massive 5 oven jobbies, as there are mentions of 26lb birds going into the top oven, and the official AGA/Rayburn site also gives cooking times for birds up to 28lb).

The OH can't remember there being any problem feeding about 18 people Turkey at Christmas with their Rayburn when he was a kid and my Mum always grumbled about missing Granddad's as it could fit in a larger turkey, when she was perfectly able to cook a bird large enough to feed 13 for at least 3 days in a standard 1970s gas oven (which was much smaller than a range). I suspect she was more miffed about not being able to shove the bird in overnight and the various roast accompaniments in other ovens during the morning than anything else.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Spirit_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks all. Ordered a 16lb turkey for 8 of us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure