I want to believe I can do this!

Is this how I start a diary? I don't know whether anyone would want to read it but I hope it will keep me focussed and on track to becoming debt free. I am inspired by the diaries I've read here and would welcome advice when I get started.
Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Of course we will read your diary, welcome aboard.
  • I will too. Looking forward to reading. And welcome in,
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I feel like I've taken my eye off my financial worries over the holiday weekend. Time to get back to it.

Here are my hideous debts:

Loan: 29 payments left of £227.52 a month = £6,598.08

Barclaycard £2369

HSBC £2695.

I need to do a SOA. I will prioritise that this week.

And I have the opportunity to boost my income (I take home £1445 a month plus £82.80 child benefit) so I need to plan and organise how I am going to start that.

Jobs to do: SOA, boosting income and an eBay sale this week.

I read here somewhere, someone had said they need to feel like they're doing something everyday to pay off their debt. I feel exactly the same.

Hideous. Full of self-loathing for the situation I have got myself into. Pleased I have been making positive steps and generally going in the right direction. I really want to do this. I never want to be in debt ever again when this is all paid off.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good luck. You can do it.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • pidge04
    Wow! I need to read about how you have done it!
    (Sorry I'm not sure how to reply directly).
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Good luck !
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi and welcome :D

You taken the all important first step and we will help to support you along the way...
    We all started off unsure of what we we're doing at first (I know I did! ). The folks on here are a great bunch :D

If you need any info or advice just post about it and someone will come along to help.
    You will get there and we will help.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • pidge04
    Evening
    I totalled up my loan debt, 2 credit cards and 2 overdrafts. £13,000.
    I emailed a company who look for trainers and consultants in my field.
    I don!!!8217;t feel it!!!8217;s hopeless!
  • Hey, just read how you're getting on.

The past is done, no good beating yourself up-doesn't get us anywhere (I've done it and buried my head for so long and all that resulted in more debt!)

You should be extremely proud of yourself for taking this step because it's far from easy to rally those numbers up and see them in black and white. This debt will not be forever and all you need to do now, is give it absolutely everything you've got and get back and track.

We are all here to help each other and encourage each other, so any good or bad days get it down in your diary, it's great to look back on and see how far you've come.

Really wishing you all the best on your debt journey-remember this isn't forever, just a blip in the road.
  • Welcome and Happy New Diary! You're starting with a similar amount of debt to me - my LBM (light bulb moment) was last August and I started my diary in September. I'd recommend focussing on small wins and seeing the debt snowball. I'd also recommend checking out Dave Ramsey on Youtube. Not everyone's cup of tea (politically or religiously speaking) but he speaks the absolute truth about money management and financial freedom.

Good luck, you've got this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport