Spill the beans... on free ways to keep the kids entertained

Options

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Send them out the door at 9.30am with a packed lunch, tell them to be back for tea at 5.30pm.

There................. that's what our parents used to do to keep us amused. :D
  • candice-marie_2
    Options
    1. Pack of coloured icing in tubes and a packet of plain rich tea biscuits. They decorate their biscuits then eat them. (I took this to France on holiday for years.)

2. Very Large sheet of paper eg. wallpaper with a plain back. Lots of different pens and crayons, eg. fat marker pens. Variety is good. Spread the paper along an uncarpetted area eg. a hall then let them draw/colour where and as they want along the paper. They may work individually and/or collaboratively, just explain to toddlers that it's only on that paper and not the walls!

3. For caravans/ smaller venues: Crayons and A4 paper - aim is to cover the paper so you cannot see any white. Every time they come back to you to say they've finished spot a bit of background showing through and send them back. Prizes can be given for best at task/ best colours/ tried hardest etc.
  • kitkate81
    Options
    kerrypn wrote: »
    I draw them that puzzle with 3 houses and gas electric and water to connect to each house but the lines must not cross. It is impossible but keeps them quiet for a bit lol

We have tidy days too.

In the main, they play in the garden weather permitting!
    When I was young my Grandma told me she'd give me a million pounds if I could complete it, kept me entertained for hours!!
  • MickBee
    MickBee Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    We took our grandchildren (ages 5 & 3) to our allotment, and when returning they asked to ride in the wheelbarrow. This "boat ride" is now a favourite of theirs (if a bit tough on my arms) and fills in the 5 to 30 mins. while tea is being prepared. I have to take them over the roughest bits of the back lane I can find, but when we find a bit of grass I get a rest while they hunt for hidden gold.
  • hamsmith
    hamsmith Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    My 12 & 13 year old still love playdough, Board games and the thing they LOVE which us mummies stop doing at this age? Reading to them and listening to them read. It has to be more chilled out now. Not snuggled up at bedtime anymore. We shared the hunger games in a hotel in the rainy jubilee half term.
    Just don't tell their mates.
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A lot of these ideas seem to assume that the kids need an adult to entertain / supervise them - misses the whole point of summer as a kid. Send them to the park with a bottle of water / soft drink and a pack of sandwiches - tell them to come back if it rains or after 3pm.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • recoverydust
    Options
    den building indoors or out -
    camping indoors or in the garden
    kept mine amused for weeks throughout there childhoods
    xx
  • auditbabe
    auditbabe Posts: 652 Forumite
    Options
    LondonDiva wrote: »
    A lot of these ideas seem to assume that the kids need an adult to entertain / supervise them - misses the whole point of summer as a kid. Send them to the park with a bottle of water / soft drink and a pack of sandwiches - tell them to come back if it rains or after 3pm.

Those were the days lol if it rained we went to the cinema on condition we watched the film twice. It was nice to be wanted.:rotfl:
    Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    My friend and I used to build dens in the garden from old curtains/string/clothes horses (as did my kids :)). Telephone of string and tin cans to communicate between dens... Pretend cooking with leaves and mud!

Treasure hunts round the house and garden with a few sweets as a prize. (Sometimes the children would set the clues, sometimes me)

On fine days I used to fill all the washing up bowls, buckets etc. that I could find with water outside (no proper paddling pool) and give them each a water pistol and sponges to throw - sometimes also had some bubble stuff - it's fun trying to shoot down the bubbles.

Also we made origami water ballons to throw at each other -

http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-water-balloon.html

actually on a wet day, making origami animals, fans cut from newspaper, mosaic with bits torn from magazines was popular.

Homemade crazy golf circuit in the garden with bits of pipe, trays for slopes... Let the kids set it up and all you have to do eventually is admire as you take a turn...

I don't know how much they charge these days, but my friends and I used to love going to jumble sales to spend our pocket money on clothes and costume jewellery for our dressing-up box. So - pack the kids off to a jumble sale for a few hours!
  • Furryone
    Options
    Norwich City Council has great free events for kids in various parks throughout the summer, last year it kept both our 3 year old and 9 year old happy all day! In addition, there are free outdoor theatre events on Fridays. Excellent for picnics. See Children's holdiays activities on their website for details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure