PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Options

Comments

• spikeysoul
    spikeysoul Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure wether I should feel guilty or not - I spend as little as I can... but it's organic.

I buy a seasonal box (works ot at least 20% cheaper than organic from a supermarket) - I pay about £12 a week - which is only £2 more than I was paying when I was buying non-organic from the local market. It's delivered to me for free (don't have a car) and it was picked the day before - I never have waste like I used to, I never throw anything away - anything leftover on tuesdays gets made into tuesday soup (delivery on wednesday). Yesterday was turnip and potatoe soup - it's already fed 4 people and the rest is in the freezer.

I'm happy about composting it all and putting it on my own organic veg - in fact i got free tomatoe plants out of the compost this year - so that's a saving all on it's own.

This week I got bunched red onions, courgettes, spinach, mushrooms, green/red batavia lettuce, calabrese, large vine toms (about 8) bunched turnips - and FREE Basil! That will do me and my husband very well for one week.

Little off topic but - Lidl does very cheap basic organic stuff like carrots, cheese and eggs - a local freezer shop regularly has organic yogurt in for less than normal. They even have pesticide free, homemade style vegie readymeals - for days when I can't cook. Pays to shop around even if you are trying to eat like we do.

Fruit on the other hand is rather expensive - and in winter seasonal gets very very boring. That's more like £5 for 6 apples a large bunch of grapes and five nectarines - but it's all organic and I don't have any waste on that either.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,297 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great thread. This is one I struggle with, with 4 of us in the house thats 20 portions a day!!!! Its a sad state of affairs when grapes are a bit of a treat but some fruit is sooo expensive.

We live in the middle of nowhere too and our small local market is good for some things but not always that cheap. Dont have an Aldi or Asda so I tend to rely on deliveries from Tesco. My staples are apples, bananas, carrots, broccolli, leeks, onions, frozen peas, beans and sweetcorn, tinned peaches, pears and pineapple. I also buy butternut squash which can be grated into all sorts of meals and last for ages. I do the same with courgette and carrot, helps to bulk up things like spag bol and the kids dont know they are eating the extra veg.

I supplement the basics with some dried fruit, value orange juice and whatever else I can pick up cheaply or on offer. I never ever throw fruit or veg away, it always gets eaten!

OH has grown me some lettuce in pots this year and it is really lovely. Cant get much salad into the kids though.
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    Dont worry if you cant get the kids to eat salad ,its really not that good for you !
    After ongoing hospital appointments for a medical problem ,have been told by every health professional /dietitian /gp ,that lettuce and cucumber are very bad for your digestive health and best avoided .
  • tirlittan
    tirlittan Posts: 3,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Dont worry if you cant get the kids to eat salad ,its really not that good for you !
    After ongoing hospital appointments for a medical problem ,have been told by every health professional /dietitian /gp ,that lettuce and cucumber are very bad for your digestive health and best avoided .

But I like cucumber, it's very refreshing. What does it do to you?
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • skiTTish
    Options
    Its just really bad for your digestive system but if you like it and you have no ill effects then keep on enjoying it .Just there is no need to feel you 'have ' to eat salad for health reasons :)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum has always said that cucumber & apples give her trapped wind, poor thing. She peels the cucumber if she fancies it on a sandwich etc.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Its just really bad for your digestive system but if you like it and you have no ill effects then keep on enjoying it .Just there is no need to feel you 'have ' to eat salad for health reasons :)
    If you try Googling, there seem to be numerous sources which claim that it's actually very good for the digestive system.....
    Stompa
  • skiTTish
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    If you try Googling, there seem to be numerous sources which claim that it's actually very good for the digestive system.....
    No idea but as im not a doctor or dietitian I had no reason to challenge them about it ,after all they have had years of training and probably know more about food and the digestive system than I could ever know :p:rotfl:
  • Miss_Piggy_2
    Miss_Piggy_2 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Options
    We are not big fruit eaters in our house. The occasional banana maybe! We eat far more vegetables though. Which is good as I find fruit SO expensive. I buy strawberries etc but only if on offer. We do eat fruit from tins though, made up with jelly.

I shall have to have a trip to aldi to look at thier super 6!

Miss P
    xx
    **Keep Calm and Carry On!**
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just noticed you asked :) to get all your colours(if buying all from Asda at the moment):

tomato 1/5th of can 6.6p
    80g onion 4p
    sultanas 20g- 2.4p
    20g marrowfat peas 2.56p
    80g sweetcorn-8.5p

total 24.06p to eat all your colours in a day :money:

but can be cheaper if you don't (which NHS don't say we should each day but is a bonus for antioxidant balance)

On the tin of tesco sweetcorn it says 160g is 1 portion-is it actually 80? if so brill, I often add a tin of sweetcorn to stock and noodles for a quick lunch-if I get 2 portions as opposed to 1 thats fab :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure