I want to believe I can do this!

Comments

• pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Washing machine has broken.

I now have to pay £25 a month for 6 months.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    I found 5p on the pavement and so I start my next envelope challenge to raise £10!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    I have got 25 items listed on eBay now.

12 days until pay day.

My husband has been approached about a new job - waiting to hear about the salary. If he earns more, I think I could reduce the amount I pay into the bills/rent pot which would leave more money to break the debt. Fingers crossed.
  • pidge04
    £26 from 3 sales on eBay. So pleased.

I will need to pay the money into my current account not on my debt.

When I got home tonight, I had a piece of mail from my bank, advertising loans. I have not had anything like that for ages. I am going to prove them wrong this time. No consolidation loan this time. I am going to break my cycle.
  • pidge04
    2 more party invitations this week.

I just phoned the bank to see whether I can lower the Interest. They said no. It is fixed upon application. But I have read diaries on here where banks have lowered the interest. Is this really possible?
  • pidge04
    Nope, feeling like this is all a bit hopeless again.
    Next month is looking expensive with the car service, Father!!!8217;s Day plus other things. I have £200 towards my car service.
    I think I can probably pay off my Barclaycard this year, largely due to the money I will earn in the summer.
    The other one though...I need to get an extra job at the weekends through autumn and winter to hammer away at that one.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Don't splurge on Fathers day. Get your son to make your DH a nice card and get him a small thoughtful present.

You are doing well on getting that Barclaycard down and I think getting a weekend job is a good idea if that is the time you tend to spend money. Has the advantage of not only raising more money to repay the debt quicker but also stops you spending.

I still cannot help thinking it is unfair that your husband earns more than £500 a month more than you and you both pay the same amount towards bills. Hopefully if he gets this new job you can reduce your monthly payment.

Glad you decided not to consolidate. Try not to put all your spare money towards debt as having emergency savings is also important although I agree if you are still paying 25% to Barclaycard then this should take priority.

You are doing really well considering you have only recently started to address the debt. You will soon be less than £10k so massive improvement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pidge04
    Don't splurge on Fathers day. Get your son to make your DH a nice card and get him a small thoughtful present.

You are doing well on getting that Barclaycard down and I think getting a weekend job is a good idea if that is the time you tend to spend money. Has the advantage of not only raising more money to repay the debt quicker but also stops you spending.

I still cannot help thinking it is unfair that your husband earns more than £500 a month more than you and you both pay the same amount towards bills. Hopefully if he gets this new job you can reduce your monthly payment.

Glad you decided not to consolidate. Try not to put all your spare money towards debt as having emergency savings is also important although I agree if you are still paying 25% to Barclaycard then this should take priority.

You are doing really well considering you have only recently started to address the debt. You will soon be less than £10k so massive improvement.

Thank you.

I have just written to Barclaycard to see whether they would consider reducing the interest rate.

Fortunately, my husband is not into presents at all and I do not want to teach my daughter that she needs to buy something for either of us for Mother's Day or Father's Day. I feel that you show your love by making breakfast in bed for someone and making a card. I picked up a card for my Father in a shop and she said to me 'I am going to make one for Daddy.' I felt very proud.

There will be an expectation, however, that I treat him for lunch or something. I absolutely cannot afford to do that. I shall make a picnic for the 3 of us from things at home. He loves picnics.

The expense of Father's Day will come from my family. They are buyers of presents although I know that they would not like it if I spent a lot of money. I think I will buy a small gift and write a thoughtful message in a card. I know he would really appreciate that.

To be honest, I struggled for years with the whole splitting the bills right down the middle. Especially when there was a period when he was earning £800 a month more than I was and I was REALLY struggling. It stemmed from when we both worked full time but for the last 7 years I have worked part-time because of our daughter. He has paid for all the food this month. He paid for a prescription for me the other week. There would have been a time when I would have given him the money but I just said thank you this time. We have never been a 'team' unfortunately in anything. We should have gone our separate ways years ago but we have settled into a warmish friendship.

I can't wait to break the 10K mark....
  • pidge04
    It should be in August that I will break the 10K mark.
  • pidge04
    I looked up my chances of being accepted for a 0% balance transfer.

The only ones really were for £1200 limits (so not appropriate in my case) and for 6 months at the most.

I will send off the letter to Barclaycard today to see whether the interest rate can be reduced.

I have been looking at weekend work to pay off the HSBC credit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure