PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anybody 'darn' anymore?

Options

Comments

• susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    Hell ... no!
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    I can see that Ivan patches his clothes.
    :beer:
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see that Ivan patches his clothes.
    No Phil .. I employ a wife to do that for me :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    A tip for those of you whos kids go through the knees of their trousers, sew a patch os similar fabric inside the knee before they wear the trousers, it is easier than after they are torn.
    I used to turn my kids tousers in to shorts once the knees are beyond repair.
    Leather patches can still be bought from haberdashers, I can get them in John Lewis.
    I have a couple of very elderly pure wool twinsets that I darn when they wear at the cuffs.
    Yes I know I'm old, but not that old, all my same age friends think I'm batty.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I darn stuff too (but not socks). Was taught by my great grandmother. Usually do it to repair clothes I love. I have some vintage stuff as well as high street. I do remember darning thick woollen tights when I was a student and turned it into a bit of a fashion statement as I used a rather bright colour!
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Darn right I do. :D I actually did a couple of pairs of mine last week. They were very holy.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    newleaf wrote: »
    I wish I could darn! Mr newleaf always wears holes in the elbows of his jumpers. Can you still buy those leather patches to sew on sleeves? (and if so, where?)

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/CategoryTree.asp?CategoryID=748
  • Daisies
    Daisies Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    Yep I darn, and repair clothes! (I'm 27!). I try and buy fewer but better quality (more expensive) clothes as I'm trying to avoid shops that use sweat shop labour, and I like to get organic cotton if at all possible. So I make things last as long as possible, which they do if they're well-made.

I knit my own socks, which tend to be hard-wearing, but I would definitely darn these as they get older. They are a lot more comfortable and warmer than shop-bought socks. I don't generally bother darning shop-bought cotton socks (which I'm gradually getting rid of as they wear out, so in the end I'll just have hand-knitted socks)

I also try and find alternative ways of using things that really have got past repair - make them into dusters, use them for rag rugs (went on a course last year!), make them into bags or cushion covers. It's something I really enjoy doing.

Does anyone still turn sheets sides-to-middle?
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Daisies wrote: »
    Does anyone still turn sheets sides-to-middle?

Yes I do that too. And once they are worn out I cut up (the good bits) into square rags and keep for washing the car, dusting, polishing, wiping up messes etc.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mother darns but I can't. I can knit but find it too boring.

I can sew up hems and make clothes with a sewing machine, including putting on buttons and making buttonholes.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure