Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 13th Aug 19, 10:30 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 8Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    internet on Ubunto
    • 13th Aug 19, 10:30 PM
    internet on Ubunto 13th Aug 19 at 10:30 PM
    Can anybody give a complete novice a simple step by step guide of how to connect to wireless wifi in newly installed Ubunto. EG go to ?? click on?? then go to ?? etc. Thank you.
    Last edited by SuperSeagull; 13-08-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Page 4
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 8:16 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    Good Morning

Everywhere thanks for the suggestion re the Toshiba but I have already bought 2 of those and it is those that are failing now, although I must admit the ones I bought were 30mbps not 600. I think that I will try over the weekend to sort out the problem failing which I shall probably make the Compaq my word processor and buy another USB Dongle for the Toshiba to use or for grand daughter to use for Roblox. I looked on E bay and they had some which plugged into a USB port but looked like a. car aerial, do you have any knowledge of how efficient they are? Meanwhile I will try to find the Drive Manager to check what is installed.
    Last edited by SuperSeagull; Yesterday at 9:03 AM.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 9:09 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    I have gone into Driver Manager and basically it is saying Broadcom Limited BCM4311 etc is not working. There are 2 tick boxes:

bcmwl-kernel source
    do not use the device

At the bottom of the page it says no proprietary drivers are in use.........revert..apply changes
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 11:48 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Good Morning

Everywhere thanks for the suggestion re the Toshiba but I have already bought 2 of those and it is those that are failing now, although I must admit the ones I bought were 30mbps not 600. I think that I will try over the weekend to sort out the problem failing which I shall probably make the Compaq my word processor and buy another USB Dongle for the Toshiba to use or for grand daughter to use for Roblox. I looked on E bay and they had some which plugged into a USB port but looked like a. car aerial, do you have any knowledge of how efficient they are? Meanwhile I will try to find the Drive Manager to check what is installed.
    Originally posted by SuperSeagull
    First of all...Part No. of the Toshiba?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 11:49 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I have gone into Driver Manager and basically it is saying Broadcom Limited BCM4311 etc is not working. There are 2 tick boxes:

bcmwl-kernel source
    do not use the device

At the bottom of the page it says no proprietary drivers are in use.........revert..apply changes
    So which is ticked? Did you follow the advice within the link?
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 12:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    i ticked the top one as I wasnt sure if I needed to use that one. Which link are you referringt to as so many have been posted by many helpers.

Which part number of the Toshiba are you asking about?

If it helps the Toshiba is Desktop 9SF 930 E
    CPU IS N2840 @ 2.64Ghz
    RAM is 4.00 GB ( 3.89 installed))
    Last edited by SuperSeagull; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 12:39 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    i ticked the top one as I wasnt sure if I needed to use that one. Which link are you referringt to as so many have been posted by many helpers.

Which part number of the Toshiba are you asking about?

If it helps it is Desktop 9SF 930 E
    CPU IS N2840 @ 2.64Ghz
    RAM is 4.00 GB ( 3.89 installed))
    As aforementioned, the Part No. is on the underside.
    What it is with you, buying laptops with such horrible processors?
    That is another device that is crying out for an SSD;

If it is the one that I imagine, a horrible design;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1WcJmqPDo

On the plus side, if you take the trouble to do it, it will be your fastest device.

Odd about the USB wireless device, in that you suggest that you have had three devices fail. That leads me to think that the problem might not be with the adapters at all.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 1:32 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    Not having the pc knowledge I have bought all of them in the past,
    , based on what I have been told.by the seller or adverts,

I am leaning towards using the Compaq as the one set up for printing and letter writing and revert back to windows 10 and then my ganddaughter use the Toshiba for Roblox and I use the Acer.
    Last edited by SuperSeagull; Yesterday at 1:38 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 3:36 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Not having the pc knowledge I have bought all of them in the past,
    , based on what I have been told.by the seller or adverts,

I am leaning towards using the Compaq as the one set up for printing and letter writing and revert back to windows 10 and then my ganddaughter use the Toshiba for Roblox and I use the Acer.
    You've been a member here since 2008. No excuses. You could have asked here.
    I would not have allowed you to purchase such a thing

Are you going to get an SSD for the Compaq, subsequently installing Windows 10 32 bit to it?
    It's really worth the adding of an SSD to the Toshiba. Though as you can see, it's a bit fiddly.

Still no Toshiba part number posted.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 4:50 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    Sorry but until somebody I was talking to suggested posting on this site I didnt realize that MSE had such a forum dealing with techie stuff.

The part number on the back of the computer is very faded but I think that it is PSCMLE-049010EN. I had to get my wife to look for that as her eyesighjt is better than mine and with the aid of a magnifying glass gave me that number.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Sorry but until somebody I was talking to suggested posting on this site I didnt realize that MSE had such a forum dealing with techie stuff.

The part number on the back of the computer is very faded but I think that it is PSCMLE-049010EN. I had to get my wife to look for that as her eyesighjt is better than mine and with the aid of a magnifying glass gave me that number.

No need for you to apologise. We are just here to try to prevent people from wasting their hard earned unnecessarily.

Have narrowed it down to a Toshiba Satellite C50-B- though not the exact model. Just something very close to this one; http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-c50-b-14z/
    The good news is that it is easier to swap the HDD for an SSD;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBnPkt-Gus

Not only that, but a clean install of Windows 10 to an SSD may even solve the Wireless issue.
    I'm running a laptop with a similar spec, but with SSD.
    You'll be very satisfied with the performance with an SSD.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 6:06 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    I am going to order another SSD from mymemory. Should I use the existing intallation DVDs that I have for Windows 10 or should I download another one with ISO to either a usb or dvd from Microsoft?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 6:56 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I am going to order another SSD from mymemory. Should I use the existing intallation DVDs that I have for Windows 10 or should I download another one with ISO to either a usb or dvd from Microsoft?
    You can use the same USB Flash drive installation media ,if you haven't overwritten it.
    What about the Compaq? Is it going to be left out of the upgrades?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 7:05 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Currently from 15.99; https://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html?dir=asc&order=price
    Not that I am suggesting to get the very cheapest.
    • SuperSeagull
    • By SuperSeagull 16th Aug 19, 7:28 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    SuperSeagull
    Do yoiu think that it is worth getting an SSD for tthe Compaq? If so I will order 2.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Aug 19, 7:50 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Do yoiu think that it is worth getting an SSD for tthe Compaq? If so I will order 2.
    If you intend to use it, then definitely. Will just make it more pleasant to use. Not super-fast, but usable for the letter writing and printing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,861Posts Today

6,291Users online

Martin's Twitter