Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 9:35 AM
    • 280Posts
    • 11Thanks
    xlnc99
    Default Account Sold to Debt Collector
    • 15th Aug 19, 9:35 AM
    Default Account Sold to Debt Collector 15th Aug 19 at 9:35 AM
    Hi.

I know this has been asked before but i have forgotten how this works. I had a default with someone who then sold the account to a debt collector. If i wanted the default date amended or tried to get it removed who would i contact? The original lender or the new owner of the default. The default name has changed from the original lenders name to the new debt collector

Thanks
Page 2
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 15th Aug 19, 4:04 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    boo_star
    No the default is not paid yet. It is still outstanding and shows as the debt collector with the default.
    Originally posted by xlnc99
    So speak to them about it.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 15th Aug 19, 4:07 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I am planning to but before i did i wanted to know the information i requested on this thread. Ive read ton of threads before where the debt collector always sends you back to the original creditior and vice versa.

Hence this thread so i am prepared with the correct information before speaking to them
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 15th Aug 19, 4:10 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    boo_star
    I am planning to but before i did i wanted to know the information i requested on this thread. Ive read ton of threads before where the debt collector always sends you back to the original creditior and vice versa.

Hence this thread so i am prepared with the correct information before speaking to them
    They may need to speak to the original creditor about it but they shouldn't be referring you back to them. They're the ones reporting it after all, it's up to them to make sure it's accurate.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Aug 19, 10:07 AM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    sourcrates

Hi,

My approach would be to give the FOS helpline a quick call on :

0800 023 4567

explain the situation to them, they will then write to the company concerned, and tell them they have a complaint to deal with.

They will then contact you.
    Last edited by sourcrates; Yesterday at 11:09 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 10:10 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I see, this puts me in a tricky situation. As you said they will argue against this and send me back to the company who has bought the debt.

I thought the FOS was a last resort after you have spoken to the companies involved.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Aug 19, 10:45 AM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I see, this puts me in a tricky situation. As you said they will argue against this and send me back to the company who has bought the debt.

I thought the FOS was a last resort after you have spoken to the companies involved.
    Still disparaging advice given here I see.

Just do as you've been advised for once, please....
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Aug 19, 11:01 AM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    sourcrates

You can ring their helpline for advice at any time, if you have a complaint against a company, having the FOS write to them, telling them they have a complaint to deal with, makes them deal with it, when normally they may ignore you, or try to fob you off.

The FOS is the enforcment arm/adjudiactor and complaints manager for the FCA, if a company ignores a request from them to deal with a customer issue, the penalties can be severe.

Thay will also advise you who the complaint should be aimed at.
    Last edited by sourcrates; Yesterday at 11:08 AM.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Aug 19, 11:13 AM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    sourcrates
    On looking further into this, it appears the new owner of the debt may be the one the complaint should be aimed at.
    On the sale of a debt, the new owner inherits all rights and privilidges of the original creditor, so that would imply responcibility now lies with them.

This is what debt camel say about it :

https://debtcamel.co.uk/debt-default-date/

advice about FOS still stands.
    Advice on complaints made about sold on debts does tend to differ, depending on the issue, best to clarify the position with FOS, rather than give out the wrong information.
    Last edited by sourcrates; Yesterday at 11:16 AM.

• xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 11:21 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Thanks for all the information. Its so very confusing. I will contact the FOS and see what they say to who owns the debt. No doubt this will go round in circles and will be a long drawn out saga
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 11:24 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    The major problem i would have to contact the original owner as some point as the debt collector added the same default as the original lender. So anything that needs changing has to go past the original lender as they added the default!

They should sort this process out, its silly.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 16th Aug 19, 11:25 AM
    • 3,797 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    I think the guidance on the DebtCamel article, kindly linked by sourcrates, is pretty clear. It is not confusing at all. They say,
    To correct a problem with a default on your credit file you should write/email the lender (or the debt collection agency if your debt has been sold by the original lender), putting COMPLAINT as the subject, explaining why you think it is wrong.
    You should therefore write to the DCA who bought the account to have the default date amended.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 11:34 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Yes that is what i am going to do.

However the default was issued by the lender and not the company that bought the debt so im not sure how they will amend the data as they would not have it.

They will just send me back to the original creditior.

I will update the thread after i phone them
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 16th Aug 19, 11:36 AM
    • 3,797 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Why are you phoning them??? The advice from DebtCamel is to write to them, putting COMPLAINT as the subject.

If you phone them, then they can fob you off. If you write, then they must provide you with a written response...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I wanted to phone them first to save time rather then waiting for a response telling me the same thing. I will phone them first and if the response is what i think it will be i will write an email.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Aug 19, 11:54 AM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I wanted to phone them first to save time rather then waiting for a response telling me the same thing. I will phone them first and if the response is what i think it will be i will write an email.
    To be legally binding forget phone calls/emails to creditors.

Write a letter of complaint, then you have a papertrail.

If you ring the FOS helpline, they will write directly to the creditor concerned for you, and tell them to deal with it, you don`t have to do anything if you go via them.

• xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 16th Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    xlnc99
    I have a complaint with a company regarding another issue and i went through resolver. However i want to go to the FOS because they are taking the biscuit replying and after three weeks sent me a reply saying it will take them another 60 days to review my complaint!

That is ridiculous so i want to go to the FOS but according to the resolver and FOS website i have to wait at least 4 weeks until after i write a complaint to the company before FOS get involved. I cant go to the FOS at the start without dealing with the company first

Is this true?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Aug 19, 11:59 AM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    And still not listening to comprehensive advice being given.

Honestly some people are beyond help
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Aug 19, 1:08 PM
    • 17,988 Posts
    • 16,919 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I have a complaint with a company regarding another issue and i went through resolver. However i want to go to the FOS because they are taking the biscuit replying and after three weeks sent me a reply saying it will take them another 60 days to review my complaint!

That is ridiculous so i want to go to the FOS but according to the resolver and FOS website i have to wait at least 4 weeks until after i write a complaint to the company before FOS get involved. I cant go to the FOS at the start without dealing with the company first

Is this true?
    That is true if you have exhausted the complaints process with your lender.
    You are not going to the FOS yet, with a complaint.

You are simply asking for advice, and asking them to inform the creditor they have a complaint to deal with.
    I have been quite presice in what I have said.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,803Posts Today

6,181Users online

Martin's Twitter