internet on Ubunto

Options

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    No the ethernet cable is conmnected to another laptop that I use just basically as a word processor . Should I connect it up again.

Before you do anything else; https://www.ghacks.net/2015/03/27/how-to-get-wifi-working-in-linux-mint-after-installation/

Look in the Driver Manager as suggested.
  • SuperSeagull
    Options
    Have connected the ethernet cable and it now showing connectioin established. I shall print out the link given by Everywhere and aftyer reading it will attempt the fix in the morning., Will give an update tomnorrow.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mayhap I should read more Shakespeare ...Exit pursued by a bear. I'm out. It appears downloading Mint 32 to help was a mistake on my part, good luck.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Mayhap I should read more Shakespeare ...Exit pursued by a bear. I'm out. It appears downloading Mint 32 to help was a mistake on my part, good luck.

It's not over yet.

Also, interested to hear about the 'word processor'.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 August 2019 at 10:32PM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    It's not over yet.

Also, interested to hear about the 'word processor'.
    IBM selectric and Tippex maybe?

I suggested trying Fedora 32 bit on the original thread :cool:But hey I may follow for a while, to be honest just when we may have got somewhere with identiftying the HW .....
    Device 1 Broadfcom and subsiduaries BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
    driver b43-pci -bridge
    device 2 Rrealtrek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    driver 8139too
    I know why I dropped Ubuntu and it's derivatives in favour of Fedora based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux,

I am also at a loss why SS didn't try the mint/ubuntu as a "live" rather than installing first ?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2019 at 12:19AM
    Options
    I have a Toshiba that I used to use for evrything but it lost its internal wifi adapter somehow so I bought a USB one but that keeps losing the internet so I fixed it up in my spare bedroom attached to my porinter, as if a desk top. It is then used for writing lertters and printing, scanning etc. I have an HP which our dog knocked off of the small table that I use sat in my armchair. and cracked the screen. I tried to stick the screen with Super Glue but it ran so the screen cannot be read so that is connected directly to the tv which I use for streaming football and use the tv as the screen, if needed. The Acer is the pc I use but it also has Roblox on it for when my grand daughters are here as the Compaq is too slow to run Roblox. They then want the Acer to use so I was trying to get the Compaq running reasonably for me to use when they are at my house playing Roblox. So it is all quite logical really. However that is it for tonight will try again in the morning.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I have a Toshiba that I uised to use for evrything but it lost its internal wifi adapter somehow so I bought a USB one but that keeps losing the internet so I fixed it up in my spare bedroom attached to my porinter, as if a desk top. It is then used for writing lertters and printing, scanning etc. I have an HP which our dog knocked of of the small table that I use sat in my armchair. and ctracked the screen. I tried to stick the screen with Super Glue but it ran so the screen cannot be read so that is connected directly to the tv which I use for streaming football and use the tv as the screen, if needed. The Acer is the pc I use but it also has Roblox on it for when my ghrand daughters are hjere as the Compaq is too slow to run Roblox. They then want the Acer to use so I was trying to get the Compaq running reasonably for me to uise when they are at my house playing Roblox. So it is all quite logical really. Howevere that is it for tonight will try again in the morning.

If you want the Compaq to be usable, scrap what you are doing now and buy an SSD for it. Then install your OS of choice.
    What the part number of the Toshiba? It's on the underside.
    If the spec is better than the Compaq, it may be worth the purchase of a decent USB wireless adapter for it; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600Mbps-Dual-Band-USB-WiFi-Dongle-Wireless-LAN-Adapter-802-11ac-a-b-5Ghz-2-4Ghz/181688348467 and to use that in the place of the Compaq.
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    command not found. I assume that is not a fullstop between sudo and Ishw and that it is capital i shw.

No, it's a lower-case L at the start of lshw (short for LiSt HardWare)
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    No, it's a lower-case L at the start of lshw (short for LiSt HardWare)
    Look up a bit and you will see
    Sorry I missed out the space  so tried again and it is now showing
    Network 
    Device 1  Broadfcom and subsiduaries BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
    driver b43-pci -bridge
    device 2 Rrealtrek  RTL-8100/8101L/8139  PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
     driver 8139too

But .....the OP is transcribing anyway
  • SuperSeagull
    SuperSeagull Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 August 2019 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Good Morning

Everywhere thanks for the suggestion re the Toshiba but I have already bought 2 of those and it is those that are failing now, although I must admit the ones I bought were 30mbps not 600. I think that I will try over the weekend to sort out the problem failing which I shall probably make the Compaq my word processor and buy another USB Dongle for the Toshiba to use or for grand daughter to use for Roblox. I looked on E bay and they had some which plugged into a USB port but looked like a. car aerial, do you have any knowledge of how efficient they are? Meanwhile I will try to find the Drive Manager to check what is installed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure