The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I paid off my mortgage in full about 11 months ago

The details are

a. The date you decided to become a MFW

17th May 2012

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest

£82500

c. Mortgage-Free Date

17th May 2012

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

Don't obsess about your mortgage - remember to live a little as well

I took out my first mortgage in 1981, when I was 21. We borrowed £21250 from the Abbey National, which was considered to be a lot at the time. We had a 25 year endowment mortgage, to end in 2006.

I then started working for a big high street lender, but had to wait three years before I could get a staff mortgage, so I went through the 15.4% interest rate thing, even more than that, as endowment mortgages had to pay 0.5% additional interest!

In 1984 I remortgaged with my employer, so my interest rate came down to 5% ..... that was a big monthly saving.

In 1986 we took on a further advance for home improvements, and took on another endowment policy over 20 years to end in 2006.

In 1989 we moved, and took on a £82,500 mortgage, again, it was considered to be a big mortgage at the time. We took on another endowment policy, also to end in 2006.

So, for the next 17 years or so we carried on paying our mortgage monthly payments. Around 2002 we switched to a new staff mortgage which tracked the base rate. Having the staff mortgage was a great help, although it wasn't without penalty, as I had to pay tax on the benefit.

In 2006 our endowment policies matured. The 1989 policy had a shortfall, but the earlier policies made up for this, and we were able to pay off the mortgage and have a small lump sum of a few thousand for ourselves.

I could have been mortgage free at 46, but we decided to have a further advance for some home improvements.

I was made redundant in 2009 and took a pension as part of my redundancy package. As a pensioner, I was permitted to keep my staff mortgage.

The decision to repay the mortgage in full was a snap decision. I had become dis-satisfied with the admin of my mortgage. As I wasn't working there any more I couldn't keep a personal eye on my mortgage, some mnistakes had been made, which I wasn't happy with. There was only a small balance left, so we paid it off from our savings in May 2012.

So I was mortgage free at 52.

I worked with mortgages for most of my working life, so I was always comfortable with my mortgage. It never felt like a burden. It's nice to have paid it off, but I still am the same person and do exactly the same things as I did before. Paying off my mortgage didn't have any magical quality for me.

So there it is, probably not typical MFW, but I'm mortgage free all the same!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • our mortgag at its highest was £49,000 we decided to become mortgage free 3 years ago,we acheived this by selling our house at a knock down price and buying outright a mobile park home with the cash we had left after repaying the balance of our mortgage
    i can wholeheartly recommend doing this when the kids have all upped and left(park home sites are strictly child free accept for visiting g/children)and we now live 200 yeard from miles of open countryside next to a farm and on a private site with just 30 homes,the nearest bricks and mortar home has just sold for 500,000
    so mortgage free and happy to be so after 31 years
  • tiggerjj
    tiggerjj Posts: 259 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am mortgage freeeeeeeeeeeeee and this is going to sound nuts to you all, but i don't even know when it happened!!! my work rules my life when im working!
    I wanted to be free as soon as i got my mortgage, april 2010, so i got an offset mortgage, and the monthly statements helped me focus. i got to be freeeeeee last month sometime. so now its 100% offset, so although i still have a mortgage its not costing me nothing and i could pay it all off if needed!!! ahhhhhhhhhh and im 27 so really happy!
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    tiggerjj wrote: »
    I am mortgage freeeeeeeeeeeeee and this is going to sound nuts to you all, but i don't even know when it happened!!! my work rules my life when im working!
    I wanted to be free as soon as i got my mortgage, april 2010, so i got an offset mortgage, and the monthly statements helped me focus. i got to be freeeeeee last month sometime. so now its 100% offset, so although i still have a mortgage its not costing me nothing and i could pay it all off if needed!!! ahhhhhhhhhh and im 27 so really happy!
    Well done, I wish mine was like that. :rotfl:

How much was your mortgage at its highest and when was your original MF date?
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • semi
    semi Posts: 33 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    :j:j Mf this month
    Started may 2004 £71000
    Finished April 2013
    Nice first direct tracker offset 1% above base rate helped a lot,plus overpaying by quite a lot!!-Even worse had to buy own house twice-woman trouble!!!!-or was it me??
    Pearl of wisdom-spend it now-you'll only young once

ps aged 44:beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hello everyone I've decided to stop lurking and come clean. I'm mortgage free!
    Here's my stats:

Decided to become mortgage free in 1987 when OH & I bought our first house. Paid off about £10k before moving, increasing the mortgage, making occasional overpayments, having kids, getting divorced...
    Debt at its highest was £120k
    Decided to really go for it with my own house & mortgage in 2005.
    Debt then was £30k.
    Concentrated on overpayments, even a few pounds a month, whatever I could manage, until I inherited enough to pay off the remaining £7k last October so I did!
    Mortgage free date October 2012 :) aged 52
    Pearl of wisdom - keep at it, even small overpayments make a big difference cumulatively :)
  • Ascat18
    Ascat18 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi All

a. The date we decided to be MFW was April 2002
    b. Our highest debt was £119 000
    c. April 1st 2013 was final payment day! This month sees our first mortgage free month... yipee
    d. Set up a standing order to overpay and treat it as your actual mortgage requirement.

:j:j:j
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    rosyq - Congratulations on becoming mortgage free.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Ascat18
    Ascat18 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just reflecting on our MF status:

We took out our first mortgage for £51 000 in 1994 and argued with the mortgage advisor that we wanted a repayment mortgage. We even had to sign a disclaimer to say that we had rejected the advisor's proposal of an endowment mortgage. At the time it took quite a lot of resolve to ignore their claims that we could make loads of money the other way! :-)

When we moved in 2002 we increased our mortgage from £26 000 to £119 000 and kept the length of term the same.

We are in our early 40's. :D

Now considering whether to save some cash and buy a new house and rent this one out...
  • ShALLaX
    ShALLaX Posts: 108 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 7 May 2013 at 6:33PM
    DONE! :)

a. The date you decided to become a MFW: July 2011 (about 7 months after taking out the mortgage)

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest: £105,990 (plus £225 mortgage arrangement fee)

c. Mortgage-Free Date: 1245 IST 7th May 2013 (I completed my house purchase whilst on business in India, so it's fitting that I also paid off the mortgage here, too!) Age 28.

d. Your one perl of wisdom: If you can see the end is in near sight, then save as much as possible. Cut back on wants, only go with needs. However, if your mortgage free date is far ahead, don't compromise too much on the enjoyment of life. Keep track of all of your finances in a finance programme. It's really rewarding and hugely motivating to use it to plot graphs to see your progress. Also fascinating to see how much money is spent on essentials and non-essentials.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback