The Dreaded Dentures...

Does anybody in here have experience of flexible dentures please? They cost £400 so I want to do some research before going ahead. Only need 3 front teeth on the top one, to restore my :D

Comments

• balustrada
    balustrada Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This doesn't answer your question directly but it might be helpful. I lost the 3 front teeth on my lower jaw about 4 years ago. I decided to go with a standard NHS rigid denture at a cost of around £200 and I've been very pleased with it. I'm unsure what advantage there's likely to be with a flexible denture.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    TY for that balustrada - I've had a standard rigid NHS plate for a couple of years, it cost me £100, but I hate it. It has never fitted and now it just falls out :rotfl:
  • I have worn a partial flexible denture for over 5 years now and it is still in perfect condition--flexes and the springy clicky part just as when new.Has no metal just shaped open ended springy clasps which click over the 3 adjacent teeth.
    Very comfortable and I generally only remove twice a day when cleaning teeth and sleep with it in because it is very secure---though not advocating others do this.
    However mine replaces the back,bottom left 3 teeth.Probably much easier than yours to fit securely.You would need to secure at either side I should have thought.Mine just sits over the gum and I can chew nuts etc.with very little sideways movement.
    Perhaps you should have a chat with a dentist who could show you a 3D image of how your plate would look and the attachment method.
    I'm lucky to have a brilliant dentist who suggested this for me and back then it was covered by NHS.I think cosmetically the thin gum coloured plastic clasp looks quite natural and the plate itself is very light weight and matched to real teeth colour.There is no need for adhesive or cushioning and you could loose that feeling that it will fall out.They remove easily and simply click back securely into place.
    As for balustrada the obvious advantage over a traditional NHS rigid denture seems pretty obvious to me.Being a gentleman following normal gentleman recreational pursuits and having a lady on top reaching a shaking,quivering,just about to blow her hat off moment I would be getting slightly worried over the NHS rigid denture dislodging and having my eye out.
  • mardatha
    That sounds good ta. I did like the look of the thin plastic gum part, much better than that godawful bright pink.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm going to get my first flexible dentures, so I'm interested in peoples views.
  • mardatha
    I decided to go for them too, had my first fitting today. Got to go back another 3 times, once a week for 4 weeks! And the cost went up from £400 to £450...
  • I realise this was a few months ago - how did you get on?
  • mardatha
    Got them and they are terrific Chrissy. Just perfect.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mardatha wrote: »
    Got them and they are terrific Chrissy. Just perfect.
    I went for acrylic solid ones in the end. I'm very aware of them when they are in. The only bonus is if I need more teeth added it will be cost effective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure