Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    michaels wrote: »
    There is always someone he who got a better deal through. Our leccy car was 130pm all in but still much more expensive than our second car that had only petrol in the 2 years we had it and was just written off for exactly what we had paid for it 2 years previously.

Nice was that one of the early Nissan Leaf "give it away" leases? I missed out on those.

And with the previous cars you had to visit petrol stations, pay 5x as much for fuel and have a nastier ride :D.
    I couldn't go back now.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Snakey wrote: »
    A vaguely-car-related point that springs to mind is that unless you have a convenient devoted daughter living next door I can't imagine a rural late-retirement phase is going to be much fun. As such, you might be better off with a flat in town (like wot I got :)). And people say you shouldn't be leaving it too late to make a big move like that because it's more stressful after (say) seventy. So when would you make that move?
    Our plan - we are moving now to a smaller 3/4 bed house with lower running costs in a cheaper part of the country. We won't be rural, we plan to be in a town with a mainline station and all facilities in walking distance. We are both 60 and we hope we will be able to stay in our next place for at least 20 years.

70 is too early for us to consider going into a flat, I would say 80 to 85 is probably the time frame for a flat, depending on health of course. We will be renovating our next place and kitting it out for a retired couple that will hopefully last into their 80s (eg walk in shower, easy to open units, lever taps etc).

Health is the big possible spanner in the works. Right now we are both fit, healthy and active (part of the reason for retiring early) but who knows if that will change sooner than we would like.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Snakey wrote: »
    A vaguely-car-related point that springs to mind is that unless you have a convenient devoted daughter living next door I can't imagine a rural late-retirement phase is going to be much fun. As such, you might be better off with a flat in town (like wot I got :)). And people say you shouldn't be leaving it too late to make a big move like that because it's more stressful after (say) seventy. So when would you make that move? A bit - or a lot - earlier than "the last possible moment" so that you can save on what looks like a massive cost of running cars for those extra years? You could use the extra money to help you get settled socially, maybe.

We arent going into town, but will be coming in fromt he countryside to outer walking distance suburbs. Dont want to be in a flat anywhere would be a shcok. Have 5 bedrooms and 2 acres now lol Maybe the next move?
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Why? Why on earth?

Because it will be fun and I will be able to afford it. :)

It is not as if I buy a new one every year or two. My current car is 11 years old. I got ir new as a company car and bought it when the lease ended. I want to get a car that suits me perfectly that I can then keep for another decade or so.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 8:57PM
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Nice was that one of the early Nissan Leaf "give it away" leases? I missed out on those.

And with the previous cars you had to visit petrol stations, pay 5x as much for fuel and have a nastier ride :D.
    I couldn't go back now.

Yes and definitely yes. In the end after the 2 years we had to buy from the finance co as no way was going back to Dino fuel an option. Total price to purchase from brand new was 12.4k. Prices seem to have bottomed out at 5k for the oldest ones now so even after 6 years ownership we are looking at about 1k pa depreciation and so far no maintenance costs beyond annual inspection and tyres. We got it before we found mr moneymoustache but he obviously had a similar idea. When we charge at home from the solar panels even the leccy is free. (and talking of solar panels the early deals were by far the best value annuity ever).
    I think....
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    nd talking of solar panels the early deals were but far the best value annuity ever.

Don't rub it in. The rest of us are paying you those huge subsidies.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    My car is over 20 years old (it does creak a bit) but I prefer a 6-figure pension pot.
    Is there a prize?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Don't rub it in. The rest of us are paying you those huge subsidies.

That would be my parents - whilst mine pays a great return it is only on a 5k investment - my parents who got in 4 years earlier are getting the same (tax free) return on a 24k investment....
    I think....
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Yes and definitely yes. In the end after the 2 years we had to buy from the finance co as no way was going back to Dino fuel an option. Total price to purchase from brand new was 12.4k. Prices seem to have bottomed out at 5k for the oldest ones now so even after 6 years ownership we are looking at about 1k pa depreciation and so far no maintenance costs beyond annual inspection and tyres. We got it before we found mr moneymoustache but he obviously had a similar idea. When we charge at home from the solar panels even the leccy is free. (and talking of solar panels the early deals were by far the best value annuity ever).

I am assuming you decided to buy the battery.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    My car is over 20 years old (it does creak a bit) but I prefer a 6-figure pension pot.
    Is there a prize?

But your annual service is going to cost you. Things wear out when cars get that old- expensive things.

Thats why we got rid of our 14 and 17 yr old cars last year and bought 2 yr old ones. We''l run them for another decade lol.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback