Vodafone won't let me use my own router; how can I cancel with no penalty?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    The Vodafone thingy is a router, and cannot be used as a modem only. True, I could switch off wifi and connect my own router to the Vodafone router, but:
    1. I have no guarantee that I won't have to reboot the Vodafone box periodically even with wifi switched off.
    2. Double-NAT. Not ideal. I cannot post links, but google is your friend if you don't know what it means.

The whole point is not how important this restriction is to most users; I fully appreciate that for most users it's irrelevant. The whole point is that Vodafone is enforcing a restriction which is not in the contract and which I never agreed to; am I the only one who thinks this is wrong and unacceptable?

Just wondering which router you are proposing to get that guarantees this? as for point 2, its something ive no issue with albeit with virgin, the wifi doesn't reach my whole house so ive plugged in into powerline and at the other end have another wifi router, have had no problems you just set the second as an access point
  • lee111s wrote: »
    If you feel that they are going against their T's and C's, request a deadlock letter and take the issue to the Ombudsman.
    Yes, that's my intention. I suppose I'd like to understand if there is any precedent (ie has anyone else complained about the same issue, and what was the outcome?), and if there is anything specific I can do to give more teeth to my complaint.

Plus, I also wanted to share my issue here, so that more and more people are aware and can make an informed decision as to whether this restriction is acceptable for them or not. Vodafone has an history of deleting posts which complain about their (lack of) service from its forum; for example, they deleted a post in which I complained about being overcharged (I had 2GBs of inclusive data on my mobile plan, yet I was charged for data above 500 MBs, and it took me months to get my money back).
  • Just wondering which router you are proposing to get that guarantees this?
    There are no absolute guarantees, of course, but the fact that this was never an issue with all the previous routers I have had (Orange, Belkin, BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk) makes me hopeful.
  • Are you within your 30 day cooling period from your order, if so use that to cancel your service:
    https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/consumer/broadband-and-home-phone/vodafone-broadband-and-home-phone-delivery-and-returns-policy/
  • Unfortunately I am past the cooling period. It really became an issue after I got a 2nd PC, a laptop, which I only did recently. Vodafone has already replaced the router once.
  • I have just switched to Vodafone with a major component being that I could use my own router (NightHawk). I haven't attempted to use it yet as was waiting for the 30 day 'do not disconnect whilst we fine tune your line' period - however, was planning to tomorrow and after a bit of browsing have started turning up numerous posts stating that it can't be done. I have a chat manuscript from Vodafones sales team themselves from the 2nd November which clearly states the following:
    ==================================================================
    Tracey:
    How are you today?

XXXXXXX: I'm good thanks. I just have a quick question - we're looking to leave our current ISP due to a host of failings - we are interested in Vodafones offering, but I wanted to first check whether use of the vodafone supplied router is a requirement of the service?

Tracey:
    You can use your own router
    ==================================================================

If it now turns out that I can't use my own router than their sales team are clearly lying to potential customers!
  • Let me guess, the "do not disconnect we are fine-tuning" period happens to end AFTER the cooling-off period, right?
    If you're still in the cooling-off period, you should cancel right now. It will save you lots of headaches.
    If you are past your cooling-off period, you should write a formal complaint and be ready to escalate the matter to the Ombudsman, as well as report it to Ofcom.

The more people complain, the greater chance we have of Vodafone seeing reason!
  • Let me guess, the "do not disconnect we are fine-tuning" period happens to end AFTER the cooling-off period, right?
    If you're still in the cooling-off period, you should cancel right now. It will save you lots of headaches.
    If you are past your cooling-off period, you should write a formal complaint and be ready to escalate the matter to the Ombudsman, as well as report it to Ofcom.

The more people complain, the greater chance we have of Vodafone seeing reason!
    I was wondering that as it's normally 10 days for them to 'fine tune' their connection.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was wondering that as it's normally 10 days for them to 'fine tune' their connection.

Even then it's largely a myth.
  • lee111s wrote: »
    Even then it's largely a myth.

In what way? Surely they need some stats back from your line to find the optimal stable connection?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure