Reclaiming phone insurance from last 3 years

Options
It’s probably a long shot, but I feel sure that if there’s a way of winning on this, MSE Forum members will know it!

I’ve just taken over my husband’s accounts as his sole trader business keeps him so busy that he doesn’t have much time for them. As part of that, I’ve discovered that he’s been paying £9.99 per month for phone insurance (from Premier... forget the exact name, originally via Phones4U) for a handset that he ditched about 3yrs ago!!!

I know it’s basically his oversight for not cancelling it but over all this time, that’s a decent wedge of cash so I’m wondering if there’s any way of arguing for a refund???

Has anyone had any success with a similar case (or at least been daft enough to do something similar and not spot a regular DD like that on your account?!!)

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    There is no "case"here.

You are totally reliant upon goodwill for any refund you may obtain and you would be wise to approach the insurer with that in mind.

Rather than "arguing" for a refund, you should politely request one.

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    There is no "case"here.

You are totally reliant upon goodwill for any refund you may obtain and you would be wise to approach the insurer with that in mind.

Rather than "arguing" for a refund, you should politely request one.

Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

..........But if the insurance came with the phone as a package you could argue that when the contract was ended they should have known to cancel the insurance as well or at least advise their customer about it?
  • Jessie83
    Options
    Thanks @Moneyineptitude

Thanks @jonesMUFCforever - that’s a really good point. I doubt my husband still has the original contract paperwork but the update letter has the Phones4U logo on it so the 2 were linked - will get more details and be sure to mention that.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I know that in the past it was common place that these insurances were sold alongside mobile phones as a requirement which consumers had to ‘opt out’ of at a later date - it has since been deemed this is not the correct way to sell insurance as such very few are sold nowadays.

Could be another point of contention should they not be willing to offer a refund as goodwill - could also argue that once contract cancelled there was no longer a transfer of risk to the insurer and as such was clearly unsuitable from that point on.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bermonia wrote: »
    I know that in the past it was common place that these insurances were sold alongside mobile phones as a requirement which consumers had to ‘opt out’ of at a later date - it has since been deemed this is not the correct way to sell insurance as such very few are sold nowadays.

Could be another point of contention should they not be willing to offer a refund as goodwill - could also argue that once contract cancelled there was no longer a transfer of risk to the insurer and as such was clearly unsuitable from that point on.

Since financial regulation started covering things like sales of insurance from things like phone shops, car dealers etc, in 2005, it's highly unlikely any shop would have opt out insurance particularly one sold 4-5 years ago.

OP's partner will have signed separate insurance cover and received annual letters to confirm the renewal so there is little point trying to go in guns blazing with spurious claims. They have the best chance of success by asking politely and showing the phone was no longer in use
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure