Do I still have to pay national insurance and tax?

Options
Hello guys,

So I have just gotten a new job for around 40k a year. I’ve been out of work for just over a year so when I start my wages would be the first bit of money I have earned all year.

I understand that people who earn under £11,000 do not have to pay tax until they earn over that amount.

My question is once I start my new job can I receive tax free money until I reach the 11k mark? Or would I have my tax deducted from the get go?

Also will I also have to pay my national insurance from the outset too or could I have that waived too until I reach 11k in earnings?

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    ………… or do a simple internet search!
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NI is due based on how much you are paid in the week or month regardless of what you earned in previous periods.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Usual way is for employed people is pay as you earn,(PAYE) so NI & tax will be deducted at 1/12 of the annual amount due, presuming you're paid monthly, as it assumes you'll earn the same every month. If you end up earning less or more, you'll pay more, or be refunded as required.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jp789 wrote: »
    Hello guys,

So I have just gotten a new job for around 40k a year. I’ve been out of work for just over a year so when I start my wages would be the first bit of money I have earned all year.

I understand that people who earn under £11,000 do not have to pay tax until they earn over that amount.

My question is once I start my new job can I receive tax free money until I reach the 11k mark? Or would I have my tax deducted from the get go?

Also will I also have to pay my national insurance from the outset too or could I have that waived too until I reach 11k in earnings?

You do not say if you have been receiving a taxable benefit eg unemployment benefit. If you have then you will get a P45 from them when you sign off, give this to your new employer. This will have your tax code and details of taxable income for your new employer to use. If no taxable income you can declare this on a starter checklist and your new employer can then use the emergency tax of 1185L on a cumulative basis.
    The normal tax allowance for this year is £11850 but you will not get the full allowance until the end of the tax year.
    Assuming that you are on a cumulative tax code and for example your first payday was in month 9 of the tax year Dec 6 to Jan 5 you get a tax allowance of 9/12 of the full amount £8887.50 ( the PAYE system actually gives you a little bit more than this) month 10 you get 10/12 month 11 11/12 and for month 12 you get the full amount. Tax is not payable until your monthly taxable pay to date goes over these monthly allowance figures.
    There may be a delay in your tax code being put on a cumulative basis and you are on a non-cumulative tax code then you get 1/12 of the £11850 for each month to set against your monthly taxable income and pay tax if it is greater than that. Eventually your tax code will be changed to cumulative and your tax position re-calculated and adjusted. Sometimes this may not happen until after the tax year has finished.
    There are circumstances when your tax code may be something different to the 1185L if that applies HMRC will issue a different code any adjustments needed will be made to the tax you pay.

NI is not the same as tax. This is always done on what you earn at each payday, there is no annual figure as with tax. You get an allowance each payday and pay NI on earnings above this figure.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NI is, as has been said by other posters, worked out at each individual payday & not cumulative. With the tax, if you have any employment earnings in this tax year & also any JSA please check carefully that the P45 they give you is correct - they have a history of getting it wrong. If it is incorrect do not give it to your new employer but make absolutely sure you tick the correct box on their new employee form. If it is just JSA in the current year or just an employment in the current year then it should be fine. If it is for the previous tax year then it has no relevance at all for your new employer.
  • 01afraser4
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »

Many people have difficulties understanding how Tax & NI is calculated, especially if they have been PAYE and have had minimal/no contact with HMRC. I also don't think their salary dictates how much they should know about taxation.
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to work with accountants who had no idea of their tax calculations. Take that as you will.

(Mind you, they were CIMA :) )
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 December 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    01afraser4 wrote: »
    Many people have difficulties understanding how Tax & NI is calculated, especially if they have been PAYE and have had minimal/no contact with HMRC. I also don't think their salary dictates how much they should know about taxation.

I disagree, tax is one of those things that ignorance is not an excuse.

You should have a general or basic grasp of how your salary is calculated. How do you know if your getting a raw deal?

Knowing what you can and can't claim for work is important and every little helps.

Failing asking on an internet forum full of strangers, get paid tax advice from an accountant which is tax deductible in some circumstances
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    01afraser4 wrote: »
    I also don't think their salary dictates how much they should know about taxation.
    well it may indicate they ought to be able to look for and read basic facts for themselves
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure