The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Ay ay ay! Shrinking food packages!

I have just been on mesupermercado, looking up the prices of one or two things - it is something that I have got out of the habit of doing since moving to shopping weekly, rather than monthly for staples. I was just checking whether mrA is cheaper than HB for green lentils - they are by 4p, not a saving that I'd usually bother over, as I dislike mrA, but I'll be over that neck of the woods if I go to the community hub with a donation for the FB, and there is something else that MrA have reasonably priced (pretty sure our store don't stock it though :().

And I noticed that the 2kg bags of pulses - specifically 1ndus brand in this instance, are now 1.75kg bags! What is the point!?

we'll be reduced to buying things by the teaspoon full from a hole in a wall at this rate. Only on a Wednesday, between 12 noon and 1 minute past the hour. For goodness sakes!

A grumpy Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,300/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend March £247.85/215  Charity Blankets completed 1/24
    Grocery spend April £7.39/215
    Non-food household spend April £12.94
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • I still haven't got over being charged per banana :eek::eek::eek:

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Morning - please lets not get to buying stuff out a hole in the wall - horrors.

Shrinking packets and increasing prices are just not on. Does seem to be the way of it though doesn't it? Its quite annoying. Hope the local tatties turn up soon we've started lifting main crop here - largely due to blight sadly. I'm keeping me spuds in the ground for the moment might lift them later but as they're happy out there - maybe I'll let them rest as I did last year didn't seem to come to too much harm. M&S I find difficult for fruit bargains - stuff like you say is pretty good quality but pricey - maybe that should be their new slogan. Hope you find some decent citrus soon - no scurvy please.

Hope you have a fun adventure with BG and DP today :) I'm off to move in the forth year uni tot. How did that happen..........

XOXOXO
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Good Morning :hello:
    I still haven't got over being charged per banana :eek::eek::eek:

Tilly xx

Oh Tills - I laughed out loud at ^ I wasn't laughing at you, I just imagine you as unflappable, so the thought of mrAl making you faint with retail disappointment, was quite funny......... :D Have you seen on the Food & Groceries thread (and maybe in store) that they have gone up to 13p each now? What's the betting the price will climb and climb and climb, until you've no option but to pay throught the nose or buy ready bagged (which I hate, as they're invariably bashed, and it's more plastic waste :(). I can see the advantage of being able to buy bananas singly for lunch or whatever, and I'm glad that if you're near a mrAl you can get one for 12/13p, versus the 20/25p that certain 'big 4' supermercados charge, but even so.......

I'm off to move in the forth year uni tot. How did that happen..........

XOXOXO

Morning sweetie - you realise that I will be saying things *like* ^ that, in oh, 3 weeks and 5 minutes time...... or will it just seem like 3 weeks and 5 minutes?? :think::rotfl: Have a good day - but get the 'hunky' chaps to do all the lifting :D

We've got nice weather here thus far. I was able to sit in perfect peace and quiet with BG listening to a Robin trilling and watching planes silently fly through perfect blue skies earlier. Absolutely magical.

Lots of cleaning is on the agenda today. We're going to tackle one room and try to do it from head to foot throughout. Wish us luck :(

Tea this evening will be curry of some description, hopefully watching a film about.... curry...... I've not been shopping yet, and we're unlikely to go later, so it may well be a masterpiece in improvisation.

Tea last night was actually nice and very easy. I used some of the 'harmony' variety potatoes that I got in HB, and made wedges out of them. Now I know that they are not the 'tastiest' tasting potato you can buy. I suspect they are grown commercially because they grown uniformly, or store well, or grow quickly or something. But do you know, they made better tasting wedges than anything I have had in a very long time that has come out the the frozen potato product section of a supermarket. I just oiled them to cook, and then tossed them in salt and vinegar before serving. Really nice. Accompanied by a piece of cheese pizza and a piece of cheese and tomato pizza. Thank goodness for leftovers :j

Right, best get to it. Daylight is burning and we've more chance of catching the dust bunnies if we can see 'em! :D

Ta for popping in, making me laugh and reminding me how quickly days fly.......

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,608
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Time does indeed fly. I'm pretty sure I was at school myself just last week :rotfl:

We were at the Turkish market yesterday and they had a whole stall dedicated to POTATOES :j :j of course all the writing was in German or Turkish so I have no idea what varieties :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,371
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 September 2017 at 6:19AM
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, we didn't end up eating curry, watching a film about curry last night after all. Despite venturing out to shopping areas, I managed to forget chopped tomatoes. Twice :o So the trusty boxed fish and oven chips rode to the rescue, along with a tin of mushy peas :D

We did, however, watch the DVD and enjoyed the film :D I did ponder whether they had actually found that location with those 2 buildings opposite one another, or whether they had built an elaborate set, or whether cgi came into it - mr Sp3ilberg was involved, after all. There was certainly alot of food in the movie, anyway, so it had my attention :rotfl: £2.99 well spent.

We had a busy day yesterday. We achieved our cleaning from top to bottom of a room. Wood burning stoves make a mess. I've also now finally got curtains to go up in that room, so inadvertently, I'm inching towards completing another section of my THT. We ran out of time to begin hanging them yesterday. The '5 minute' job of changing the light fitting pendulum, morphed into an hour - as everything does in this house. With a whole heap of dust created in our newly cleaned room...... still, I'm happier, as the old pendulum was past its best and cracked. I now have a light shade in a room that has been without one for....... ooooh, more years than you have to be in compulsory education :o

Today we've more chores to attend to. Yesterday's efforts threw up more toot to get rid off. And a couple of things for donation to the chazzer. Interestingly, I've been noticing the property comings and goings locally, and irrespective of whether the house has been sold because the owner has died; whether the occupants simply want to move, or tenants are moving on, the common denominator has been unwanted 'toot'. OK, so in terms of the house where the owner died, the developers are removing things that are clearly, not going to fit in with the redevelopement they have in mind. I think the tenants may have pulled a bit of a fast one, and left a load of toot, rather than take a trip to the tip - but then was their landlord overly fair to them? did they get to live in a tip-top maintained property from the get-go? in the case of the owner/occupiers, the last minute rush to get the property on the market, saw all manner of toot piled high into the car :rotfl: I suspect we have all been there :D

But, common denominator = toot.

Whilst I will never be a minimalist, and I'm worried that I will freak out BG by being overly zealous with passing on their toys :o I'm trying to be mindful that we can (easily) live with alot less 'stuff', and I want to live in a home, not a dust-gathering storage depot. You can't take it with you to your ultimate destination, so why drag yourself down in life with it all?

Tea this evening will be curry plate of some description - if I can remember tomatoes! I did plain and simply forget to pick some up in mrL and we were nowhere near a HB, but I remembered in fArm f00ds, but baulked at their prices a bit. I'm wondering whether that store is going to be open for very much longer, there was little or no 'fresh' produce - they do occasionally have bargains - and empty spaces on the shelves. It'd be a pity if they do go - they finally have got an employee who is pleasant and jolly. The staff are usually very grumpy, and yes, I get that they are probably not treated particularly well as employees, but this individual seemed to be able to rise above it, and had a kind word and cheery demeanour for each customer. Perhaps FF is suffering as a brand - their previously not very good website has now become poor, with no listings of what they sell. I bought frozen spinach and leeks from there yesterday. Their 5 for £4 offering is not as good as it used to be, but the spinach just about squeaks in as the cheapest I can get locally - with kale being flavour of the month over spinach.......

Right, coffee cup drained. Best vamoose. Do something constructive, whilst others in the abode are still snoring.......

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Love love love the toot word.
    Not heard that before in that context.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • We use kibble.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is NO SUCH THING as a 5 minute job.

Once you realise that, life becomes so much less stressful...
  • greenbee wrote: »
    There is NO SUCH THING as a 5 minute job.

Once you realise that, life becomes so much less stressful...

Ay. Nor one that doesn't involve half a ton of 100 yr+ plaster dust in this house............ :(

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business